What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

November 25th, 2019 at 4:06:14 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: DRich
My wife and I don't watch many movies, probably one per year. We watched a movie last night called American History X. I thought it was pretty good and I don't say that very often. It is on Netflix now if anyone is interested and hasn't seen it.

What a great movie
Guy goes into prison as a racist
He changes
Its has some pretty brutal violence
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
November 25th, 2019 at 4:23:55 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Pacomartin

I was watching (1967-68 season) The Andy Griffith Show, Family Affair, The Monkees, Lost in Space, The Beverly Hillbillies, Green Acres,The Man from U.N.C.L.E., I Dream of Jeannie, Bewitched, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, Star Trek, The Avengers, Batman, Hogan's Heroes, Mannix, and The F.B.I.

Wild Wild West, Addams Family, Bonanza, F Troop,
Dick Van Dyke, Get Smart, Gilligan, Mission Impossible,
My Three Sons, Petticoat Junction, Gunsmoke.

TV was way better than it is now.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 25th, 2019 at 4:36:54 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Quote: Evenbob
Wild Wild West, Addams Family, Bonanza, F Troop,
Dick Van Dyke, Get Smart, Gilligan, Mission Impossible,
My Three Sons, Petticoat Junction, Gunsmoke.

TV was way better than it is now.

Mary Ann was nice, but Gilligan's Island was a wasteland for creativity. So was The Love Boat. So were a number of others which thankfully I've forgotten.

All the others had their moments. Some better than others.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 30th, 2019 at 7:35:46 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Just saw Terminator Dark Fate.

I would put this fourth in the six Terminator movies. Certainly better than the last two.

The thrust of the movie is that in Terminator I, Sarah did change the future and "Skynet" was no longer part of it. However, the "machines" still organized and sent back another terminator to kill the leader of the new human resistance when she was young. Said leader, in the current time, is an ordinary young woman of about 20 living in Mexico City. There is more that comes into it that circles back to Terminator I and what happens after that movie ends, but I don't want to spoil anything.

The plot was pretty good and I developed interest in the characters. However, the pace of the movie was fast with lots of fights and chases. I will say the movie did good work with aging and anti-aging (is there a word for that?) the characters in scenes that take place in the future.

I think most people would find it on par with Terminator 3, which I liked better. Most people would probably deem it DVD worthy but not theater worthy.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
December 1st, 2019 at 2:09:30 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Wizard
Just saw Terminator Dark Fate.
I think most people would find it on par with Terminator 3, which I liked better. Most people would probably deem it DVD worthy but not theater worthy.

Over the 35 years box office seems to have moved to foreign markets.

Terminator: Dark Fate (2019) Budget $185m
DOMESTIC (24.3%) $60,617,256
INTERNATIONAL (75.7%) $189,219,437

Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991) Budget $102m
DOMESTIC (39.5%) $205,881,154
INTERNATIONAL (60.5%) $315,003,693

The Terminator (1984) Budget $6.4m
DOMESTIC (48.9%) $38,371,200
INTERNATIONAL (51.1%) $40,104,771
December 1st, 2019 at 6:55:33 PM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
We watched The Irishman this afternoon. It is very, very long.

Oh. You want to know what I think of it? Pretty good. Worth what we paid. People who knew the people involved say that Sheeran is full of shit, but it is still a pretty good story. I know people who knew Bufalino when he was alive, they say he was always a decent guy as a neighbor. Business didn’t leak out.
December 4th, 2019 at 6:40:12 AM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
We saw Knives Out yesterday. It was good, but I expected it to be better. It is extremely plot driven, to the extent where all the characters are cardboard cutouts. Personalities aren’t needed for this one. There were overt overtones of class warfare that I haven’t seen since the ‘60s. The plot explanation needed A LOT of exposition and still didn’t make much sense. First half is pretty dull, if you watch it on Netflix you might tune it out. Second half gets you caring enough about one of the protagonists to get you caught up in the machinations.

We wanted to see Ford vs Ferrari but didn’t have enough time yesterday. We might see it next Tuesday.
December 8th, 2019 at 3:12:37 PM permalink
rxwine
First trailer is out.

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 8th, 2019 at 10:54:57 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: rxwine
First trailer is out.

I thought Chris Pine died in the
first movie. How convenient
that he's back. The good news
is, Star Trek 4 is being filmed in
2020 for release in 2021. In
2021 they will also release
Indiana Jones 5 and MI 7.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 8th, 2019 at 11:04:24 PM permalink
rxwine
Wonder Woman is a demi-god, so maybe there is some way she can get Chris Pratt back again though I don't really know what accounts for it.

First viewing, I didn't recognized Kristen Wiig in the first scene, but although she is friendly, I believe she is a villain.