DOMESTIC (38.2%) $200,676,069 with a $93m domestic opening
INTERNATIONAL (61.8%) $324,300,000 with $77,630,000 in China
April 21st, 2021 at 8:38:13 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: ams288
Downton Abbey 2 is a go.

“The entire cast” is returning. I guess that means even Maggie Smith...

Anyone want to go with me? I'll be there opening day as long as I'm still alive.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
April 21st, 2021 at 8:43:16 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
By happenstance, I saw The Conjuring 2 over the weekend. Not really my choice, but the kids wanted to watch it and we were all hanging out at my Mom's. Here are a few short observations---(spoilers, kind of):

1.) The demon creature was actually more creepy in the premonition scenes in the beginning than it was toward the end. It got pretty ridiculous towards the end.

2.) Of course, the, "Good guys," win in this one. That's barely a spoiler. If you read ahead of time, then you already know that Ed and Lorraine Warren didn't die in England that year...so you essentially know how the movie ends.

The point is, the way that they win is extremely stupid. If you watch the movie, then you'll find out. Basically, the demon creature straight up hands them the only way they could win.

3.) There's a bit of a continuity error in that the demon can cause the premonition from thousands of miles away and across an ocean, but apparently has no control over the spirit it possesses (in England) outside of a few kilometers. It's basically just an example of a movie conveniently forgetting its own rules.

4.) The special effects are okay, except the demon looks ridiculous in the end.

Overall, I give this movie a 5/10. If I'm honest, that's pretty close to the highest a movie of this nature could have possibly scored. I'd say 7/10 was probably the mountaintop.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
April 21st, 2021 at 9:20:21 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: Mission146
By happenstance, I saw The Conjuring 2 over the weekend. Not really my choice, but the kids wanted to watch it and we were all hanging out at my Mom's. Here are a few short observations---(spoilers, kind of):

1.) The demon creature was actually more creepy in the premonition scenes in the beginning than it was toward the end. It got pretty ridiculous towards the end.

2.) Of course, the, "Good guys," win in this one. That's barely a spoiler. If you read ahead of time, then you already know that Ed and Lorraine Warren didn't die in England that year...so you essentially know how the movie ends.

The point is, the way that they win is extremely stupid. If you watch the movie, then you'll find out. Basically, the demon creature straight up hands them the only way they could win.

3.) There's a bit of a continuity error in that the demon can cause the premonition from thousands of miles away and across an ocean, but apparently has no control over the spirit it possesses (in England) outside of a few kilometers. It's basically just an example of a movie conveniently forgetting its own rules.

4.) The special effects are okay, except the demon looks ridiculous in the end.

Overall, I give this movie a 5/10. If I'm honest, that's pretty close to the highest a movie of this nature could have possibly scored. I'd say 7/10 was probably the mountaintop.

Did you ever see the first one? It was much better.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
April 21st, 2021 at 9:26:46 AM permalink
ams288

I always thought this was funny.

“Mom - why do your decorations always spell VALAK?”

April 21st, 2021 at 9:29:07 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator

Ha! I didn't catch that. Whoever did must really enjoy this movie. I guess it's better than mediocre, by horror movie standards.
April 21st, 2021 at 9:30:45 AM permalink
ams288

Ha! I didn't catch that. Whoever did must really enjoy this movie. I guess it's better than mediocre, by horror movie standards.

It’s all over the place in the background in the scenes in their house.
April 21st, 2021 at 9:32:12 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator

It’s all over the place in the background in the scenes in their house.

I'd still think a person would have to watch it at least twice to be looking for it. You wouldn't really know the significance on the first go. Thinking about it, I recall that a few of the block letters on the bookshelf looked a little out of place, but I didn't see it as having any significance and also didn't see them all.
April 21st, 2021 at 10:04:19 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Of course, the, "Good guys," win in this one. That's barely a spoiler.

I noticed Netflix is playing around with the assumption that the "good guys" will win. Movies usually do away with a set number of people, some of whom can be very endearing.

I don't want to name names since that would be spoilers.

It's been 42 years since Alien. AFAIK that was the first film where only one good guy (girl) survives until the end. Do you know any counterexamples?
April 21st, 2021 at 11:12:51 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: Pacomartin
I noticed Netflix is playing around with the assumption that the "good guys" will win. Movies usually do away with a set number of people, some of whom can be very endearing.

I don't want to name names since that would be spoilers.

It's been 42 years since Alien. AFAIK that was the first film where only one good guy (girl) survives until the end. Do you know any counterexamples?

If I had $1 for every movie I've watched in my life, it'd be a stretch to say I'd have an extra $200. I certainly can't think of any before Alien where not all the good guys make it, but I can count the number of movies I've seen that predate that one without using all of my fingers.