What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

June 10th, 2021 at 8:42:22 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I'm pretty sure no one could survive that bear attack in The Revenant. Unless you were a Marvel character.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 10th, 2021 at 8:56:48 PM permalink
rxwine
I do love the high quality filming of the location scenery.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 11th, 2021 at 5:32:46 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: rxwine
I'm pretty sure no one could survive that bear attack in The Revenant. Unless you were a Marvel character.
The way people have survived Grizzly attacks has been to play dead, which might have been what he really did in real life.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
June 13th, 2021 at 9:48:00 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: odiousgambit
I plan to re-watch this and then re-watch immediately "The Two Jakes [1990]". When I was watching the latter one recently, I realized there were important parts of the first one I couldn't quite remember right, and it seemed important.

a dangerous condition regarding a housing development with a natural gas problem is shown in what I thought was an unrealistic, silly scenario

I watched The Two Jakes last night, (sadly its not on Netflix, but its on Amazon Prime Streaming). I enjoyed it more than I thought I would (unlike the first which was universally praised, this one seemed to have many more negative reviews so I was more skeptical going into it).
Not as good a China Town, but still an excellent movie (especially if you like noir movies). I like how they adjusted the time period to account for the many years gap since the first movie (now taking place in the late 40s in the post-war era, unlike the pre-war era of the first).

Supposedly Netflix now owns the rights to make a series about the character, but I can't find anything on it more recently (since last fall), but the online rumors are they are are looking into a series of him young (pre China Town) about how he left being a policeman and started his private investigation agency. I honestly don't know how I feel about this, not every character needs a whole series to show their backstory. Sometimes movies are great because of the mystery of the protagonist. It would be like if Netflix did a series on Richard Blaine and his series of crimes (or whatever he may have done) that forced him to flee America, it would ruin the character.
June 13th, 2021 at 11:14:07 AM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Ever since I was a kid I enjoyed "Godzilla" movies, starting with the original.

But the original is not THE original, it was "Americanized" by adding a bunch of scenes absent from the original, inserting Raymond Burr as a reporter to provide English narration.

A couple years ago I saw the actual original, sans Burr, sans Americanization, and it was a bit of a revelation.

Highly recommend that fellow fans of Godzilla seek out and watch the true original, "Gojira."
June 13th, 2021 at 12:27:03 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: missedhervee
absent from the original, inserting Raymond Burr

When I first heard Raymond Burr was Gay, I thought, yeah, that makes sense. He never had a girlfriend in Perry Mason, he never hit on the hot secretary, he seemed to have a thing for the guy who played his private eye. Seen pictures of Burr when he was in his early twenties, he was as pretty as a girl.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 13th, 2021 at 12:37:58 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: Evenbob
When I first heard Raymond Burr was Gay, I thought, yeah, that makes sense. He never had a girlfriend in Perry Mason, he never hit on the hot secretary, he seemed to have a thing for the guy who played his private eye. Seen pictures of Burr when he was in his early twenties, he was as pretty as a girl.

As a kid, I watched Liberace in TV appearances, but had no inking of gay people at all, so totally bought that he just hadn’t found a woman his mother approved of which i remember as his cover story.
June 13th, 2021 at 12:48:46 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
I had a wide variety of friends while growing up.

It turns out that one group of them were gay, and I was clueless.

Things came to a head when I "discovered" girls at age 14 or so: I saw a 13 year old girl ride by on her bike while I was fishing and the swell of her breasts caused me to ... well, anyway I pursued her: my first girl friend.

One day we were making out by the brook when we saw what looked like two girls on the island, spying on us; upon further investigation we saw it was two of my erstwhile buddies, in drag / dressed as girls, jealously spying.

Very strange.
June 13th, 2021 at 1:29:46 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: missedhervee
I had a wide variety of friends while growing up.

It turns out that one group of them were gay, and I was clueless.

Things came to a head when I "discovered" girls at age 14 or so: I saw a 13 year old girl ride by on her bike while I was fishing and the swell of her breasts caused me to ... well, anyway I pursued her: my first girl friend.

One day we were making out by the brook when we saw what looked like two girls on the island, spying on us; upon further investigation we saw it was two of my erstwhile buddies, in drag / dressed as girls, jealously spying.

Very strange.

As a favor to a female friend and her partner, whose straight brother was in town, I accompanied him to a party they were promised to attend of all lesbians. No mention was made one way or other about our sexual orientation. But we played some game where we ran through a tunnel of women and got slapped on the ass. I believe that was suppose to be punishment for losing at some other game, but I don’t remember what we lost at.
June 27th, 2021 at 3:38:46 PM permalink
rxwine
I was hoping "Black Widow" might have better reviews so I'd have an excuse to go back to a movie theater for the first time. But no. Nothing else I really want to see right now.