What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

May 27th, 2023 at 9:59:06 AM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Good point re: "suspension of disbelief."

The flick is an over the top romp, a kill-fest where stereotypical Nazis are the target.

Reminds me a lot of Tarantino's works, like "Pulp Fiction" in that regard.

Then again, "Star Wars" wasn't exactly realistic, nor were any of the "Jurassic Park"-themed flicks.

Movies allow us to ESCAPE reality; if it's reality you demand in cinema, seek out documentaries.
May 27th, 2023 at 10:40:46 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Watching "The Two Jakes" again was about finally undestanding that movie by watching "Chinatown" first. The first time I watched TTJ it had been some time since I had seen C-town. Due to my tendency to pay not enough attention to names of characters, that was a problem. Now, watching the one first, then the other, that worked pretty good.

TTJ is the lessor movie as most reviews concede. It has some problems, here is my 2 cents,

- the title is dumb, almost unbelievably so

- the idea that someone would plot to murder a guy by setting him up with his wife, allowing him opportunity to shoot the guy and claim he lost his head seeing them making love, is ridiculous. He is still going to be convicted of second degree murder, right? Anybody would come up with a better idea than that, so that, I dunno, maybe gets away with it instead?

- the movie should help you better with the connection with C-town.

- the first scene of an accidental natural gas explosion should, but doesn't, cause an investigation that would shut down the whole housing project. Come on! And the idea that oil and gas would come up boiling away in the toilet, shower, sink etc is also absurd.

- to show that the LA area has this history of oil drilling is good, though, as you usually never see this fact shown about LA

- the movie is very quotable as noted previously

- the acting is pretty good too, and one of them is Nicholson in a good role for him

- overall worth seeing once. To keep from having to see it twice, watch C-town first right before you do this one
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
May 27th, 2023 at 10:51:30 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Maybe OG would enjoy a movie in the quantum realm where odd things seem to be a reality.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 27th, 2023 at 12:47:18 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Quote: rxwine
Maybe OG would enjoy a movie in the quantum realm where odd things seem to be a reality.
Now I did say 'sometimes' I can 'let it go' and enjoy a bullet-proof superhero. I might watch Sisu, with just a bit of concern I'd waste my time and money.

It helps if I like the actor, for example I like Liam Neeson, so when he dodges a thousand bullets shot at him I just, yeah, let it go

I might decide I like this actor in Sisu. As for Finland, "Finland participated in the Second World War initially in a defensive war against the Soviet Union, followed by another battle against the Soviet Union acting in concert with Nazi Germany and then finally fighting alongside the Allies against Germany. " soooooooooooo, you know, I don't think they are squeaky clean [emphasis mine]. Side-switchers depending on who is winning, methinks. And those would be Wehrmacht regulars finding themselves in Finland, not SS. no? And by this time disgruntled with their leaders and sick of war, if this is the "fighting alongside Allies" Finnish stage [September to November 1944]. Just things to bother me, although maybe it's not handled the way I'm imagining.

Yeah you're right the thing to do is enjoy the carnage and get over all that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finland_in_World_War_II
May 27th, 2023 at 1:17:42 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: odiousgambit
Now I did say 'sometimes' I can 'let it go' and enjoy a bullet-proof superhero. I might watch Sisu, with just a bit of concern I'd waste my time and money.

It helps if I like the actor, for example I like Liam Neeson, so when he dodges a thousand bullets shot at him I just, yeah, let it go

I might decide I like this actor in Sisu. As for Finland, "Finland participated in the Second World War initially in a defensive war against the Soviet Union, followed by another battle against the Soviet Union acting in concert with Nazi Germany and then finally fighting alongside the Allies against Germany. " soooooooooooo, you know, I don't think they are squeaky clean [emphasis mine]. Side-switchers depending on who is winning, methinks. And those would be Wehrmacht regulars finding themselves in Finland, not SS. no? And by this time disgruntled with their leaders and sick of war, if this is the "fighting alongside Allies" Finnish stage [September to November 1944]. Just things to bother me, although maybe it's not handled the way I'm imagining.

Yeah you're right the thing to do is enjoy the carnage and get over all that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finland_in_World_War_II

Finland was invaded by Russia. The allies would not help them because they did not want to risk their relationship with Russia. Germany was the only country willing to supply weapons (and work with them on combined anti-Russia operations). The allies later wanted to bring Finland into the fold under the condition that they disarm all German soldiers in Finland, this caused the Germans in Finland to go into a massive scorched earth-type mentality. Finland had the unfortunate position of trying to maintain independence (while staying a democracy) while trying to be annexed by Russia, being attacked by the U.K. and later being forced to attack Germany. Not an easy position to be in.

My guess is there would be a combination of SS and regular Army in Finland during this process. But SS make more iconic movie villains. (I have not seen the movie yet, so I am just speculating on this point).
May 27th, 2023 at 1:54:28 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Quote: Gandler
Finland was invaded by Russia. The allies would not help them because they did not want to risk their relationship with Russia. Germany was the only country willing to supply weapons (and work with them on combined anti-Russia operations). The allies later wanted to bring Finland into the fold under the condition that they disarm all German soldiers in Finland, this caused the Germans in Finland to go into a massive scorched earth-type mentality. Finland had the unfortunate position of trying to maintain independence (while staying a democracy) while trying to be annexed by Russia, being attacked by the U.K. and later being forced to attack Germany. Not an easy position to be in.
Yes. I think they would have preferred neutrality

The USSR thought they would easily defeat Finland, which instead fought brilliantly and foiled all those ideas. In fact it has been said Hitler's idea that the Communists could be quickly defeated came from how badly they failed in Finland. In fact the Germans rolled over them at first, and you have to wonder what would have happened without all that massive assistance Moscow got.

Quote:
My guess is there would be a combination of SS and regular Army in Finland during this process. But SS make more iconic movie villains. (I have not seen the movie yet, so I am just speculating on this point).
I don't think there was enough Waffen SS to go around, but you could be right.
May 27th, 2023 at 2:26:22 PM permalink
DoubleGold
Threads: 30
A documentary with series.

The first season has four episodes, LSD, Psilocybin, MDMA, & Mescaline.

It streams, possibly on your service.

It covers the history moderately and shows how the government (Big Pharma) interferes with nature's plants.

Like trying to ban nature.

Good luck in banning nature.

For example, Merck had a patent of ecstacy (MDMA) in 1912.

-----------------------------

How to Change Your Mind (2022)

It showcases what psychedelics teaches people about consciousness, dying, addiction, depression and transcendence.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt21062540/

------------------------------
May 29th, 2023 at 4:10:42 AM permalink
DoubleGold
Threads: 30
A documentary that won an Oscar.

This one streams, possibly on your service.

A Vulgaris Octopus and a man were able to trust each other.

Apparently, this type and kind, lives about a year and dies after giving birth.

Like it's entire purpose is to reproduce.

At one point, it appeared the Octupus was playing with nearby fish for entertainment.

The animal learned very fast.

-------------------------

My Octopus Teacher

2020 TV-G 1h 25m

A filmmaker forges an unusual friendship with an octopus living in a South African kelp forest, learning as the animal shares the mysteries of her world.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt12888462/

-------------------------
June 21st, 2023 at 9:15:53 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Christopher Nolan Says Some 'Oppenheimer' Viewers Walk Out 'Devastated' and 'They Can't Speak': 'It's Kind of a Horror Movie'

If you know who Robert Oppenheimer is, you can probably guess what the movie is about. Not out until July. Limited release for now.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 21st, 2023 at 9:17:41 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: rxwine
Christopher Nolan Says Some 'Oppenheimer' Viewers Walk Out 'Devastated' and 'They Can't Speak': 'It's Kind of a Horror Movie'

If you know who Robert Oppenheimer is, you can probably guess what the movie is about. Not out until July. Limited release for now.

Hopefully it’s better than his last movie Tenet, which was a convoluted mess. I gave it two viewings to try to force myself to enjoy it but it just isn’t a good movie.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman