What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

July 1st, 2023 at 11:42:01 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I watched a movie called “H Man” when I was a kid that scared the hell out me. It was an English dubbed Japanese movie. It was a creature much like “The Blob” but looked more like oil flowing. It actually came out before the blob movie.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 1st, 2023 at 12:31:29 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
I got shocked as a youngster watching "O Lucky Man."

This scene did it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyTt5TapRa8&t=16s
July 1st, 2023 at 1:15:59 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
just recently saw a bunch of the old classic Frankenstein , Wolfman, and Dracula movies from wayback that I hadn't seen

never have seen Texas Chainsaw

the amount of gore in this 'renfield' is almost unbelievable. Oddly, it is so far out there, so exaggerated, that it indeed has a comic affect. Never thought about that before
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
July 2nd, 2023 at 5:28:35 AM permalink
DoubleGold
Threads: 30
Saw Eldorado on Netflix last night.

A documentary about homosexuality and trans-sexuality in Berlin, Germany around the WWII era.

It's an eye-opener.

I think it said 50,000 were sent to prison after the war.

And about 5,000 to 15,000 were executed during or before the war.
July 2nd, 2023 at 5:49:32 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: DoubleGold
Saw Eldorado on Netflix last night.

A documentary about homosexuality and trans-sexuality in Berlin, Germany around the WWII era.

It's an eye-opener.

I think it said 50,000 were sent to prison after the war.
After?

Quote:
And about 5,000 to 15,000 were executed during or before the war.
this review must be about it, https://www.rollingstone.com/tv-movies/tv-movie-reviews/eldorado-netflix-documentary-exposes-secret-gay-history-nazi-germany-lgbtq-1234779816/
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
July 2nd, 2023 at 8:09:53 AM permalink
DoubleGold
Threads: 30
According to what I think they said, yes, after.

Also mentioned was the number 100,000 in the same context.

Possibly another 50,000 didn't have to go to prison.

However, I use audio in English and closed caption in another language I don't know for my lady.

Then a large part of the audio was in German.

I took German in HS but I'm definitely not an expert.
July 2nd, 2023 at 7:46:42 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
I saw the new Indiana Jones, better than the last one (very low bar), but not great.

Movie starts pretty strong, but goes down hill fast and keeps going down until the most ridiculous ending even by Indiana Jones standards.

Worth watching if you are a fan, but I don't think I would advise it to anyone else.

It's hard to give specific criticisms without spoilers because of the bizarre turns and and plot devices. But, one issue is that Indiana Jones never takes on any of the enemies they die by happenstance. In fact, the end result would be identical if he was not with them.

I am also very against time travel plots, so I am not even a fan of the general ideas.
July 4th, 2023 at 2:44:24 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote:
. Alongside the likes of Barbie, Hot Wheels, Barney, and Polly Pocket, one of the more surprising ideas centers on the fortune-telling Magic 8 Ball, which it has now been revealed will be a horror-comedy that will edge closer to an adult oriented R rating.

"Signs point to yes"

I had the Magic 8 ball toy as a kid. Sounds like Ouija board type plot.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 4th, 2023 at 6:23:14 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Just watched an oldie, "The Giant Claw."

Not recommended, unless you relish special effects no better than Ed Wood's in "Plan Nine From Outer Space," lots of stock footage of soldiers and animals, and a plot seemingly penned by a fifth grader.

*golf clap*
July 5th, 2023 at 4:11:06 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote: missedhervee
Just watched an oldie, "The Giant Claw."

Not recommended, unless you relish special effects no better than Ed Wood's in "Plan Nine From Outer Space," lots of stock footage of soldiers and animals, and a plot seemingly penned by a fifth grader.

*golf clap*

I never smoked a lot of marijuana when I was younger and haven't used it in years, but this is the kind of movie I would have probably watched high.