What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

December 26th, 2023 at 1:41:58 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: ams288
I’m starting to get what’s going on here.

Barbie is the biggest hit of the year.

It is absolutely, 100% woke..

You want it to be woke so badly that you just can't stand it. LOL so you're going to pretend that it is cuz it makes you feel better.

'The Barbie movie isn’t woke. In fact, it’s the opposite It’s refreshingly normal.' https://www.based-politics.com/2023/07/29/the-barbie-movie-isnt-woke-in-fact-its-the-opposite/

Actually read the article this time instead of just reading the headline like you usually do. But you won't because you don't want your mind changed. Woke is dead and gone, thank God.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 26th, 2023 at 2:00:19 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: ams288
I’m starting to get what’s going on here.

Barbie is the biggest hit of the year.

It is absolutely, 100% woke. An extremely pro-feminist film with a cast filled with minorities, lesbians, transgendered actors, etc. about how horrible and stupid the patriarchy is.

To admit that it is woke goes against the “go woke, get broke” lie that righties spout so EB is pretending it isn’t woke and that’s why it made so much money.

I really don't see the harm in taking EvenBob at face value, on this one. My positions on the matter remain generally unchanged:

1.) I don't really care who they put in movies.

2.) I don't know what it means to be, 'Pro-feminism,' in the context of this movie, but I'd say I'm generally pro-feminism anyway.

3.) I didn't really care to see a movie that is based on a child's doll toy made for girls, so I didn't. I'd have to ask if my daughter went to see it, or not; I've never really known her to play with Barbies. When she was of such an age to play with more traditional kid toys, as opposed to electronic toys of the interactive variety (i.e. video games, phones, tablets), I recall that she had some traditional toys for her gender and some not. If you put the word, 'Frozen,' on anything, she went bats*** crazy to get it! LOL

Anyway, EB seems to be implying that the movie is subtly, or not-so-subtly, taking shots at the modern concept of feminism; has anyone else saw the movie to dispute that claim, or better, to say that the claim is flat nonsense and the movie couldn't possibly be interpreted that way?
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
December 26th, 2023 at 3:14:34 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Mission146

Anyway, EB seems to be implying that the movie is subtly, or not-so-subtly, taking shots at the modern concept of feminism; has anyone else saw the movie to dispute that claim, or better, to say that the claim is flat nonsense and the movie couldn't possibly be interpreted that way?

The best explanation I've seen so far is that the movie is neither woke nor unwoke, and if you go there with a woke attitude you're going to think it's woke. If you go there with an open mind you'll see it's not woke in the typical way we're used to seeing it. If your Ben Shapiro who's totally and aggressively against all things woke he won't see the balance. It's like the old movies that didn't have any black people in them. When they started to add black people here and there most people didn't even notice but the people who were extremely prejudiced were deeply offended. That's Ben Shapiro, he's deeply offended if anything can even be taken as woke. The movie makes so much money because people can't tell what's going on and so they just enjoy it.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 26th, 2023 at 4:59:35 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: Mission146

Good lord, it’s option 2: the movie is EXTREMELY pro-feminism and is certainly not taking shots at it.

I actually don’t think I liked it as much as EB because I found the second half to be very preachy with its themes. The first half was funny though.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
December 26th, 2023 at 6:22:01 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Obviously, the movie is an ink blot: a Rorschach test.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 27th, 2023 at 7:52:42 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
I was able to record the movie 'Sisu' and I thought I could make myself 'willingly suspend my sense of disbelief' and just enjoy it. Nope.

Not a single thing the guy Sisu was able to do was believable. His gold prospecting was hilariously unreal. His arts of self defense, his tricks, were all unbelievable. Not taking any steps to avoid the Germans was ridiculous. The Nazi soldiers were caricatures of evil soldiers, never mind it was the Commies who should have been portrayed as the bad guys [I thought I had prepared myself for exaggeration, but this was something else] The mistreatment of the prisoner-whores added another cringeworthy element.

finally when Sisu produced the prospector's pan and used it to make about 100 bullets that were aimed at him bounce off ... none of which missed this small pan ... that was it. Turned it off and deleted it

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14846026/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0_tt_7_nm_1_q_sisu
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
December 28th, 2023 at 6:08:51 AM permalink
DoubleGold
Threads: 30
I tried to watch Barbie and lasted about two minutes.

I didn't see enough to classify it as being woke nor non-woke.

The only reason I watched what I did, was because of Margot.

I thought she was unusually attractive.

I saw Babylon in Vegas when it came out last Christmas and the place I was staying had a theater.

Otherwise, I wouldn't have tried to watch it.
December 28th, 2023 at 6:26:45 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Did anyone watch "Napolean"? It was a movie I was extremely excited for, but I have had too much going on since Thanksgiving to try to watch it, and now it is in that gray area where it is still "in theatres," so it cannot be streamed yet, but it is effectively in zero theatres (at least where I am right now), so it is not really watchable at the moment.
December 28th, 2023 at 6:36:09 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: odiousgambit
I was able to record the movie 'Sisu' and I thought I could make myself 'willingly suspend my sense of disbelief' and just enjoy it. Nope.

Not a single thing the guy Sisu was able to do was believable. His gold prospecting was hilariously unreal. His arts of self defense, his tricks, were all unbelievable. Not taking any steps to avoid the Germans was ridiculous. The Nazi soldiers were caricatures of evil soldiers, never mind it was the Commies who should have been portrayed as the bad guys [I thought I had prepared myself for exaggeration, but this was something else] The mistreatment of the prisoner-whores added another cringeworthy element.

finally when Sisu produced the prospector's pan and used it to make about 100 bullets that were aimed at him bounce off ... none of which missed this small pan ... that was it. Turned it off and deleted it

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14846026/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0_tt_7_nm_1_q_sisu

I enjoyed a movie like the "Dirty Dozen" back in the day, but there's very little legitimate content of real life.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 28th, 2023 at 6:40:33 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: Gandler
Did anyone watch "Napolean"? It was a movie I was extremely excited for, but I have had too much going on since Thanksgiving to try to watch it, and now it is in that gray area where it is still "in theatres," so it cannot be streamed yet, but it is effectively in zero theatres (at least where I am right now), so it is not really watchable at the moment.

Nah. If I watch a movie this year, it will bring my total up to one.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman