What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

December 28th, 2023 at 7:05:33 AM permalink
GenoDRPh
Threads: 0
Quote: odiousgambit
The Nazi soldiers were caricatures of evil soldiers, never mind it was the Commies who should have been portrayed as the bad guys [I thought I had prepared myself for exaggeration, but this was something else] The mistreatment of the prisoner-whores added another cringeworthy element.

Point of possible correction. If the movie takes place during the Lapland War, having the Nazis be the bad guys possibly would be accurate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lapland_War
December 28th, 2023 at 7:14:01 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: Mission146
Nah. If I watch a movie this year, it will bring my total up to one.

It is hard to find many movies about the war at the turn of the century, and that time period is interesting. The Napoleonic Wars are one of the more interesting conflicts. One of the last old Wars where flintlocks were used before the transition.
December 28th, 2023 at 10:15:12 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: GenoDRPh
The Nazi soldiers were caricatures of evil soldiers, never mind it was the Commies who should have been portrayed as the bad guys [I thought I had prepared myself for exaggeration, but this was something else] The mistreatment of the prisoner-whores added another cringeworthy element.

Point of possible correction. If the movie takes place during the Lapland War, having the Nazis be the bad guys possibly would be accurate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lapland_War
Well, Nazis were the bad guys, period, I'm not trying to redeem them.

But the Finns welcomed the Nazis or there would have been no two-month Lapland War, which, it seems fair to say, was conducted reluctantly as the result of a separate peace agreement Finland made with the Soviets, see select quotes below from that same Wikipedia article. Thus it seems to me that the side-switching Finns are grasping at the chance to present to the world this picture of them as just another Allied country fighting Hitler. When before WW2 proper, the Russians attacked Finland, that action was seen by the world as naked aggression, the Communists the bad guys, quite inept villains who did not succeed in that war.

It’s just a movie, and I didn’t want to watch it thinking it would be showing accurate history, but this has disingenuous aspects.

those quotes,

Quote:
Germany and Finland had been at war with the Soviet Union (USSR) since Operation Barbarossa began in June 1941, co-operating closely

Quote:
Finland negotiated a separate peace agreement with the USSR. The ceasefire agreement required the Finns to break diplomatic ties with Germany and publicly demand the withdrawal of all German troops from Finland by 15 September 1944

Quote:
President Carl Gustaf Emil Mannerheim, former Finnish commander-in-chief, wrote a letter directly to Adolf Hitler [before being forced to expel the German troops]:

“"Our German brothers-in-arms will forever remain in our hearts. The Germans in Finland were certainly not the representatives of foreign despotism but helpers and brothers-in-arms. But even in such cases foreigners are in difficult positions requiring such tact. I can assure you that during the past years nothing whatsoever happened that could have induced us to consider the German troops intruders or oppressors. I believe that the attitude of the German Army in northern Finland towards the local population and authorities will enter our history as a unique example of a correct and cordial relationship…”
[ Mannerheim, who remained a Finnish hero after the war, was forced to conduct this war against Germany anyway or face the consequences of opposition to the now-clearly-winning Allies in general, but I think this letter supports the notion of reluctance]
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
December 28th, 2023 at 10:58:54 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Mission146
Nah. If I watch a movie this year, it will bring my total up to one.

I am way ahead of you. I have seen one. I saw Openeheimer.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
December 28th, 2023 at 11:49:56 AM permalink
DoubleGold
Threads: 30
I was able to record the movie 'Sisu' and I thought I could make myself 'willingly suspend my sense of disbelief' and just enjoy it. Nope.

Not a single thing the guy Sisu was able to do was believable. His gold prospecting was hilariously unreal. His arts of self defense, his tricks, were all unbelievable. Not taking any steps to avoid the Germans was ridiculous. The Nazi soldiers were caricatures of evil soldiers, never mind it was the Commies who should have been portrayed as the bad guys [I thought I had prepared myself for exaggeration, but this was something else] The mistreatment of the prisoner-whores added another cringeworthy element.

finally when Sisu produced the prospector's pan and used it to make about 100 bullets that were aimed at him bounce off ... none of which missed this small pan ... that was it. Turned it off and deleted it

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14846026/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0_tt_7_nm_1_q_sisu

What caught my attention is the reference of Finns.

Now, a person might naturally think a person from Finland was Finnish.

I have a female ancestor that had the literal surname of Finn, so I researched it.

Here's one of the hints that I found:

It's based upon the theory that the Finns were Phoenicians.

As in Finn_ecian, which in turn were Irish (from Ancient Eire).

Ireland was controlled by Druids (sun-worshipers) and they circumnavigated the entire globe by water.

They (re)discovered America a very very long time ago.

Their language came before the Hebrew language as the Hebrew language was based upon the secret Druid language.

Eventually, the English didn't want the word to get out, so they invaded Ireland and conquered them.

--------------------

In connection herewith, we have given historical facts and deductions from these facts to shoe the
wide influence, learning and culture of Eire in the ages post. It is only a few days ago that the
Herald-Tribune of New York City, in its issue of August 22, 1928, announced that the leader of an
expedition from an American museum had discovered proofs that the Druids ruled the old
continents, and that the former religion of the Tibet was of the Fire or Sun worship, as of ancient
Britain and Ireland. Also he learned that the former name of the region around Lhasa was Gotha.

This but bears out facts, already clearly discernible, in the history of the people of ancient Eire,
who, for deceptive purpose, are called in our histories "Phoenicians." The name Gotha is Irish, and
is derived from the root word Goth, meaning a spear, the weapon giving its name to the people so
armed. In like manner, the people who anciently inhabited the plains of southern Russia were
known by the name of the weapon they used in warfare. They were known as the Scitians
(pronounced Skitians), modern form -Scythian's, from the Irish word Scith (pronounced Skith), an
arrow. The warriors of that ancient nation were armed with bows, and from the backs of their fleet
horses attacked their enemies with showers of arrows.

Further proof of ancient Erie's cultural per-eminence comes from an unexpected quarter. In an
interview published in a recent issue of the New York Times, Sept. 23, 1928, a recluse, a former
teacher and poet, in Frankfort, Germany, who knows well two hundred languages and is proficient
in their idioms, when asked which of the languages he considered the greatest, answered without
any hesitation "Phoenician." Thus from two recent and related sources comes corroborative
evidence in support of the statements in these pages.

-----------------
December 29th, 2023 at 10:32:32 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: DRich
I am way ahead of you. I have seen one. I saw Openeheimer.

The last movie I saw in an actual movie theater was Wonder Woman. I doubt if I'll ever go into another theater again it's just not worth it. Sitting there with a bunch of coughing and hacking people these days? Yeah right. And movie theaters are really kind of stupid now, they are dinosaurs. I have a 50-inch TV at home and the privacy and convenience of my own living room. Why would I want to drive to a theater, pay money, and sit there with a bunch of mouth breathing morons just to see a movie on a really big screen. This is not1961 anymore, not even close. The whole point of drive-in movies was you could watch a movie on a big screen in your own private area and not be surrounded on all sides by mouth breathers. Drive In movies went away because of television. And movie theaters are going to go the same way because of advances in television and Home Entertainment.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 29th, 2023 at 1:25:09 PM permalink
DRich
Quote: Evenbob
And movie theaters are going to go the same way because of advances in television and Home Entertainment.

I am still surprised how many people still go to theaters. I have been to the theater once in the last 15 years.
December 29th, 2023 at 4:58:06 PM permalink
GenoDRPh
I am still surprised how many people still go to theaters. I have been to the theater once in the last 15 years.

There's no better way to watch a theatrical movie than in a theatre.
December 29th, 2023 at 4:58:06 PM permalink
GenoDRPh

December 29th, 2023 at 6:48:00 PM permalink
DRich
Quote: GenoDRPh

That might be true if no one else was allowed in and you had a pause button.