What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

October 20th, 2015 at 7:11:38 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Does anyone know of any leaks concerning what the upcoming Star Wars movie is about? I've seen the trailers, thus I have some general idea, but I'd like a bit more detail. Trailers are infamous for raising expectations past what the actual movie will deliver. This can get so bad that the trailer for a movie can be better than the actual movie itself (see the first trailer for The Fifth Element; nothing happens, yet it was much better than the movie).
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
October 20th, 2015 at 9:35:48 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Quote: Nareed
Does anyone know of any leaks concerning what the upcoming Star Wars movie is about? I've seen the trailers, thus I have some general idea, but I'd like a bit more detail. Trailers are infamous for raising expectations past what the actual movie will deliver. This can get so bad that the trailer for a movie can be better than the actual movie itself (see the first trailer for The Fifth Element; nothing happens, yet it was much better than the movie).

I think that the toys, (and their packaging) that are now in wide release allow observers to piece together the major story elements.
October 20th, 2015 at 9:47:49 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Ayecarumba
I think that the toys, (and their packaging) that are now in wide release allow observers to piece together the major story elements.

I haven't seen all the toys.

I might get the spherical robot toy. It looks like a quite affordable useless time waster ;)

I've no idea what it would do around the house, but I'd like to see it try to interact with the Roomba.
October 21st, 2015 at 6:47:50 AM permalink
Nareed
I have some slight hope this new movie won't be terrible, like the last three were (I mean aside the fact Lucas isn't writing or directing).

The trailers feel dark and desperate. And it would seem something odd has been going on since the emperor got thrown down the Death Star shaft.

A lot will depend on the actual story and characters, naturally. Neither need be deep (this is Star Wars, after all, not Trek <w>), but they all must be emotionally engaging and serious.
October 21st, 2015 at 4:03:27 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Horror Comedy. Boxofficemojo lists the following as the 10 most successful horror/comedy movies. I didn't think that Ghostbusters or Gremlins or Arachnaphobia were particularly scary. I didn't see Dark Shadows or Zombieland. Like all Whedon fanboys, I thought "The Cabin in the Woods" was fantastic.

Scary Movie(s) don't really count IMHO as they are not genuine stories.

Ghostbusters
Scary Movie
Gremlins
Ghostbusters II
Scary Movie 3
Scary Movie 4
Dark Shadows
Zombieland
Scary Movie 2
Arachnophobia
The Cabin in the Woods
Gremlins 2: The New Batch

================
Other mentions

Scouts and Zombies (not subtle). October 30 release. Looks horrific
http://www.scoutsandzombiesmovie.com/videos#

Housebound is an ultra low budge New Zealand production. Very subtle comedy and available on Netflix
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/housebound/
Housebound will be remade into a US version which will be much less subtle.

Fright Night (1985 version). A classic of horror comedy.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089175/

"The Frighteners" (1996) was Michael J Fox's last nonanimated feature film. He has been diagnosed with Parkinson's but that fact was unknown to the public. Peter Jackson's sense of comedy, and his ability to stretch a $26 million budget were the reason he was given the job of directing the LOTR trilogy.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Frighteners
October 21st, 2015 at 5:53:46 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
"Shaun of the Dead" was hilarious. Probably the best zombie movie since Romero's "Dawn of the Dead":

October 21st, 2015 at 6:31:35 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Pacomartin
Horror Comedy. Boxofficemojo lists the following as the 10 most successful horror/comedy movies. I didn't think that Ghostbusters or Gremlins or Arachnaphobia were particularly scary. I didn't see Dark Shadows or Zombieland. Like all Whedon fanboys, I thought "The Cabin in the Woods" was fantastic.

Scary Movie(s) don't really count IMHO as they are not genuine stories.

Ghostbusters
Scary Movie
Gremlins
Ghostbusters II
Scary Movie 3
Scary Movie 4
Dark Shadows
Zombieland
Scary Movie 2
Arachnophobia
The Cabin in the Woods
Gremlins 2: The New Batch

Its not my favorite genre but I have seen a few
The Cabin in the Woods - I also liked this movie a lot
Ghostbusters 1 11 - liked them both
Zombieland - I liked it
Gremlins - I liked it

Rest I have not seen
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
October 21st, 2015 at 9:29:07 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Ayecarumba
"Shaun of the Dead" was hilarious. Probably the best zombie movie since Romero's "Dawn of the Dead":

That scene was extremely funny. I love that song by Freddy Mercury. I will have to watch the movie.
October 24th, 2015 at 7:11:12 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Anyone see "The Last Tycoon"? (1976)

It has some stellar male actors in it. But holy cow, the lead actress is phenomenally bad. Ingrid Boulting. Someone described her as an "inert mass" which captures her performance pretty well.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 5th, 2015 at 10:17:18 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I couldn't really tell from the NYtimes review whether they really liked the new Bond movie. Didn't seem as they didn't not like it either.

Is Bond one of the most successful franchises ever? Seems like it would be in the top 5, even if not #1.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?