What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

November 6th, 2015 at 1:09:20 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: rxwine
Is Bond one of the most successful franchises ever? Seems like it would be in the top 5, even if not #1.

The 8 Harry Potter films made $7.723 billion worldwide The last 8 Bond films made under $4 billion.

But the market changed a lot. Thunderball in 1965 sold probably twice as many tickets in North America as Skyfall. Goldfinger also significantly outsold Skyfall. But in those days TV was black and white, and nobody was distracted by internet or video games. Adults went to the movies instead of just kids. Plus the foreign market for English films was minimal.

The Sound of Music sold over 140 million tickets in USA and Canada in 1965 when the population of USA was 180 million in 1960. Golfinger sold 66 million tickets compared to the top Harry Potter film which sold 56 million.

So while it is true that Bond is one of the most successful franchises ever, it is difficult to give it a reliable rank.
November 6th, 2015 at 2:31:06 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
In the 50's 60's and 70's movies
were huge. We all went to them
on a regular basis, and drive-in's
in the summer. Cable is what it
took to make movies less important.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 6th, 2015 at 5:55:52 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
The original Bond books were ok. The movies not so much. The older ones can be good, if they don't have too many actions scenes and impossible stunts.

I'm making plans to see the new Star Wars movie soon after it comes out. I'm undecided whether to see it in 3D or regular.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
November 7th, 2015 at 3:29:35 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Nareed
I'm undecided whether to see it in 3D or regular.

I have remained skeptical of 3D. I saw the cartoon UP (2009) in three dimensions , and Avatar in 3D IMAX . But perhaps Star Wars is a good reason to venture back into the 3D world.
November 7th, 2015 at 3:34:30 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I don't know why Daniel Craig was so
vehement about not making another
Bond movie. He acts like it just got
done shooting last week, and was late
June when it wrapped. He'll do another
because they pay him in boatloads of
cash. It's just a ploy by him to get more
money.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 7th, 2015 at 5:50:47 PM permalink
ddloml
Threads: 1
You must see "The Walk" in 3D IMAX. The scenes on the twin towers are worth the price of admission. The rest of the film, however, kind of drags, but hang in there, the last 40 minutes is phenomenal.
November 12th, 2015 at 11:55:36 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Saw the "Peanuts" movie. If you love Charlie Brown, Snoopy, and the gang, then you will love the nostalgia of this film. They did a great job staying true to Charles Schultz's beloved characters, even with the "textures" added to the animation to make them "3-D".
If you are under the age of 6, you will enjoy this gentle film very much (althought there are a few shoot-outs between Snoopy and the Red Baron, ala "Flyboys", see below; the film is still rated G). If you are only mildly amused by the life of an elementary school kid with severe anxiety and self-esteem issues, then skip it, or wait for the Netflix. There were several father's in the audience comfortably snoozing, but paying $40 for two tickets, popcorn and drinks is way too much for this movie.

November 12th, 2015 at 4:59:36 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Saints and Strangers

Movie about the 1st pilgrims

This looks good
4 hour movie, 2 parts
Nat Geo channel 9pm Sun
I read about this. Really going for historical accuracy. The Indians speak the original language.
Looks great.

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
November 12th, 2015 at 5:49:38 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Quote: terapined
Saints and Strangers
Movie about the 1st pilgrims
This looks good
4 hour movie, 2 parts
Nat Geo channel 9pm Sun
I read about this. Really going for historical accuracy. The Indians speak the original language.
Looks great.

Interesting kismet... The Peanuts gang was in a Pilgrim movie too.

November 12th, 2015 at 8:21:42 PM permalink
zippyboy
Threads: 2
Quote: Ayecarumba
Saw the "Peanuts" movie. If you love Charlie Brown, Snoopy, and the gang, then you will love the nostalgia of this film.

I never understood the appeal of Peanuts. It has never been funny. It has been the unfunniest comic since forever.