Fishing With Face

Thread Rating:

August 1st, 2019 at 2:27:00 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Face

I'll be back with a report if I ever come back off the water =D

Point boat in a direction. Set sail. Wave goodbye,
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 1st, 2019 at 9:57:21 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: rxwine
Point boat in a direction. Set sail. Wave goodbye,

Where'm I gonna go? Cleveland? Lol

So yeah, the only "issue" about the money SNAFU is that it put me at less savings than comfortable, but I can see it'll be better in the long run. So I just up and did it. Kept it a secret easily since kids don't know there's not pages of paperwork for "repairs" and got all the way to the point of leaving the shop when I stopped to "check out the new ones". Showed him one, he said it was cool, I said good cuz I just bought it. Cue 2hrs of disbelief.

Paperwork was maybe 5min because it was already done, I just needed sign. Old guy then spent ~45 giving me a run around of the important stuff and tossed in a few items he either noticed or I asked about. Transom saver? Nah, just an actuator bumper. Bam. Plug? It's internal on a chain, but is a bit hard to reach so a standard one is better. Bam. S#$%, forgot about the harness. I need an adapter. Bam. Easy peasy and out the door.

We went straight to the lake.

Launching is and was pretty standard. Walking to it after parking the truck already had me smiling. I worried a bit how low the sides were, not wanting to be taking waves over the gunnel. Nope. You have to step up and over, it towers over the surface. So far so good. Hop in, hit the key, and BRAOMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. I thought it stalled. Only the pisser, and not seeing it but hearing it because it was so quiet, let me know it was on. I started giggling right then and there and I don't think I've stopped yet. All systems go we backed up and then motored down the crick.

I was surprised a bit at first. There was a bit of a reverb with the hull, and both the sonar and the windshield shook enough to make noise. My initial thought was that I guess all boats are just rudimentary and just kinda took it all in. Then I noticed I was barely slippin' along and bumped the throttle. Soon as it was above idle it went right back to mmmmmmmmm. I laughed audibly that time. The kid laughed. We both just kinda kept looking around like "wtf how is this ours". It was just ahhhhhhhh.

Got to the mouth and both decided we might as well start right there. I began to swing around the wall to set up, bumping the throttle once or twice. It just kinda...mmmmmmmmblooooop and popped onto plane. I laughed again. The boy laughed again. And I never saw it coming, never even felt it. I guess it's been so long that I forgot to watch out for it. But looking at him, laughing like idiots, the words were out of my face before I even thought them.

Wanna see how fast it goes?

……

......YUP!

I turned back up the coast, gave 'er a bump, saw that it was smooth, and gave 'er the beans. About the time the "WTF" faded enough that I could think to look, we were doing 40. The burgeoning old man in me came back real quick and that was that on water records. GLASS-glass, maybe. But it just wouldn't take much to get knocked out of those seats. No thanks.

Down to 20 I went for an about and kept right on giggling. There's these things on the hull... are those "chines"? They're like skags on a sled, just these riveted-on sort of fins that run the length of the ridges. When I turned it didn't do that B-52, super deep roll like you're flying a cargo plane. It just sort of dipped and hunkered, going about not "flat", but a damn sight flatter than anything I've ever been in before. Whatever it is that does it, it's kinda nice.

2 minute test drive over, it was time to fish. We dropped at the mouth and I kicked the troller in. Couple wayward pokes got enough lights on to result in actions, and a couple more got the basic stop go faster slower right left and stop. Good enough for me, lets go fishing.

It was and still is just surreal. Though it has proven to be quite the tripping hazard, there's storage sticking ~8" off the gunnel but only a third or so of its height. It's already resulted me leaning with a knee out expecting to brace against the gunnel, only to have the top of the storage catch me mid shin. The only reason I did not fall straight out of the boat was pure luck. The first time it happened I fell with no control of anything whatsoever lol. BUT, that shelf is the PERFECT place to sit and fish. I could not have designed it better if I tried. A nice wide, long, flat, soft place to sit, room to put my feet down, room to stretch out, and the gunnel it just below shoulder level, making it the perfect height to lean on. I sat there once to try it and I haven't moved since; it give 100% view of every part of the boat.

The trolling setup, using it the hamfisted way I am, is a bit overwhelming when having a fish on, but it keeps me giggling as much as anything. Just sitting in that comfy ass spot, beeping and booping my way down the lake. I haven't used a lick of the magic save for saving the two trips I did so far, but even controlling it "manually remotely" is just miles better than anything I've ever done. Eventually pushing a button and then only having to slow when fish on and speed when fish gone is going to be ridiculous.

What else... We didn't get to use the livewells due to our haste in launching. I didn't go through the piles of manuals and so did not see the bag with the plugs, which was unfortunate because we did catch a pond sized walleye. Oh well. In any case it seems it's one switch for both; switching up or down doesn't make a difference. If you want them isolated, there's petcocks right at the aerator spout. A closed petcock and misleading button made me think it was broke when first attempting lol

Speaking of broke, the sonar. The second time we went out it failed to launch. I turned it on the first time by pressing buttons, but this time nothing happened. I checked the back of the unit, plugs in solid. I remembered pulling on a wire when I pulled out the dock lines, but found nothing but loose wire there. I traced it back to the battery and both nuts had backed off the post, leaving all the eyes just sort of dangling. I tightened them both back up... and nothing. Checked under the dash. Nothing. Tried plugs again. Nothing. I sat sort of leaning on the wheel pressing buttons again, and being so close noticed the faintest flicker. Pushed a button and it did it again. And then, realization; I came in the night before well after sundown. I turned down the screen because it was blinding. It was now midday w/glasses on.

For real, man. Jesus Christ lol

Randomly punched buttons until I got the brightness and it blazed alive. So stupid lol.

But it's pretty cool. Not sure if I care for the imaging, which is fine because I didn't pay for it. But both the sonar and the mapping, which I did pay for, is AWESOME. It might not be "navigation accurate", but when the little topographic lines said there was a point at X, motoring to X sure did put us on a point. Sonar, imaging, map, split screen, multi screen, waypoints, trip saves, GPS speed and location, route tracing, file saving,.....w t f.

So yeah... oh, the boat itself. What about the floor plan?

I so far completely love this way better than anything else I've ever been on. The chines and high walls blast the water way away, it's like a sheet on either side of us. We don't even get misted; so far the weather element hasn't manifested. The bow isn't this "other space" anymore. It's all very "college dorm". Proper chairs here, kind of a couch thing right there, this raised lounge are next to it...we were all spread out, not tripping over each other, just sort of splayed out where we wanted, and still felt "together". You don't have to duck under or reach over anything, or yell because it's louder in one spot than the other, or reach and stretch to see around something to look at who you're talking to. It's just like hanging out in a living room that has a podium with a steering wheel on it.

And it's BIG. It's not really, but it just is. Though we didn't use it, we had the biminy connected but left it wrapped up laying on the stern. It cut two feet off the back of the boat and you couldn't even tell. It was just far enough that it didn't get in your way, but still close enough to easily reach, making it a great drinks barrier lol Mostly I'm happy because it showed me I can put all my rigging back there the no-drill way and not worry about it sticking out. It'll stick out but into area unused. Perfect.

I guess that's the boat. Too busy using it to get any pics or a tour of it yet. I'm pleased to say that I DID land the first fish in it, and it was the biggest walleye I ever caught. Wasn't all that big, I just don't catch many, so that was cool. That's what nearly sent me over the edge, as trying to balance while landing gave me the storage bin to the shin. Fell flat on my face. Did not lose the fish =)

I guess the only other thing of note, besides the 3-5 bald eagles ever present over us, was the boy set his pole down for just a second, probably the only three seconds it was out of his hand for the last 13 hours, and damn if a whopper didn't nail it. I could only bark a "Dude! DudedudeDUDEDUDE!" before it was over the biminy and rattling off the back. Was my salmon pole I just gave him that day, with his brand new favorite lure he just got in the mail as a replacement for the one he just lost the week before. And of course "Keep your eye on it" means look around the boat and s#$% lol. I saw the foam handle bobbing, looked away to manage my own line I was ripping in to snag it while also trying to steer the boat, looked up and it was gone. "Where is it?" "I dunnooooo?". Told him to keep looking as I moseyed back through and damn if he didn't pick out his spit plug bobbing in the waves. Snagged his lure with mine and he hand lined his rod back into the boat lol.

Apple and trees and all that LOL

I dunno, I'm tired and might bring more later.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
August 2nd, 2019 at 12:45:28 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Down to 20 I went for an about and kept right on giggling. There's these things on the hull... are those "chines"? They're like skags on a sled, just these riveted-on sort of fins that run the length of the ridges. When I turned it didn't do that B-52, super deep roll like you're flying a cargo plane. It just sort of dipped and hunkered, going about not "flat", but a damn sight flatter than anything I've ever been in before. Whatever it is that does it, it's kinda nice.
"Beam is everything" These fins, are they located between the chine and the keel? I was admiring those on my last skiff, they seem to help you track in the water and protect the hull when making contact. I really like them over a plain flat bottom.

Quote:
2 minute test drive over, it was time to fish.
Is there a "break in" procedure in the Yammy manual? They used to have a method suggested, and first oil change was like an hour of run time?

Glad you enjoyed your commissioning run, that's why you pay the price, and it's wonderful to have proper equipment under you especially when hauling precious cargo. Good luck sailing amigo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chine_(boating)#Reasons_for_chines

I'm not 100% sure on what the term is for the rub rails attached to the hull are called, probably different terms by different boatsmen. I call them "rubbing strakes" because of their function. It's been a while since I read up on hull design. It's good for avid mariners to use like terms when describing boat parts.

https://en.mimi.hu/boating/rubbing_strake.html
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
August 4th, 2019 at 9:12:09 AM permalink
Face
Quote: petroglyph
"Beam is everything" These fins, are they located between the chine and the keel? I was admiring those on my last skiff, they seem to help you track in the water and protect the hull when making contact. I really like them over a plain flat bottom.

OK, read your links. Apparently the angles in the hull are the chines. These things are not chines. They're basically fins like you said, has a couple on each side of the keel and a couple more way up top the last chine. It's like .100 aluminum and they're about 1.5" high (not big). But yeah, they track like a mofo.

Quote: petro
Is there a "break in" procedure in the Yammy manual? They used to have a method suggested, and first oil change was like an hour of run time?

Break-in change after 20hr and every 100hr after that. So... once a year. Easy peasy =)

Oh, and I just splashed $20 in on the maiden so we had some. Glanced at it once and it was between half and 3/4. 5 trips later... still between half and 3/4. Reckon gas'll be on about the same schedule as oil =)

Not much else to report. We fought the chop yesterday; she handles nicer than expected but we did get soaked. Wasn't a console problem, it was just rough but she handled well enough to go faster than idle. Starting to figure out the toys, too, so yesterday was the first day of "push a button and forget". It's not quite as slick as the auto-pilot on those BVI catamarans, but the fact I can compare them at all is a little mind blowing. It took a couple hours before I could even settle down and relax, as I felt there was something I SHOULD be doing... but nope. I was already "doing it" sitting there on my ass. Just look forward every 5 minutes or so so you don't run over a kite surfer. That's it. It's almost TOO easy ;)

Fishing's still slow, reckon they're all deep. Caught a bunch of dinks and a few wally's, but nowhere near the numbers or size I'm used to. Suppose I'll give 'er a break and catch up on chorin', and maybe round up the neighborhood kids for a jigging sesh next time. This deep into summer vacay, I'm sure the parents could use the break lol. And maybe a pic tour, now that I'm off it long enough to do so =)
August 4th, 2019 at 9:37:08 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Face, I am excited for you. please send perch filets as there is nowhere in Las Vegas to get lake perch.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
August 16th, 2019 at 9:28:24 PM permalink
Face
Quote: DRich
Face, I am excited for you. please send perch filets as there is nowhere in Las Vegas to get lake perch.

I don't fish for perch often, but my neighbor deals in body parts or some sort of medical and always has mailed to her these coolers with built in ice packs. I've obtained a couple; they're slick and they're free. IF I ever go deep, I might just could work this out.

I suppose I'm overdue for the tour; I've either been fishing or mad at the rain cuz I couldn't go fishing. So quickly...

The back, posted only because all the mechanics and the lines are shiny and clean and it feels good to look at. I noticed what looked like a towing hook on the transom. Wondering what sort of marine rally cross nonsense would necessitate such a thing, I asked the guy. Apparently the manufacturer believes everyone should make it back into the boat, so for those who delete the swim deck, they put in that as a little step. As one who has jumped off a fishing boat before, it's much appreciated.

The back half. You can see what I meant about the half height storage. Starboard side on the storage door is my seat; room for legs down or out, nice backrest to lean on. The boy usually takes port side rear most seat with his legs up on the stern if trolling, or sitting on the stern using the bim as a backrest when jigging. None of the rear storage is used mid trip, so we're never in the way, and it leaves pretty much the entire boat open for others to move around. I haven't found the limit yet, but with several 4man trips, there hasn't been errant elbows or run ins yet. Ton, ton, tons of room.

I thought the track system was cool, it gave the option to connect any and all gear you'd want without drilling a single hole in your boat. Slide the bracket bolts into the rail on the gunnel, bolt a track onto the brackets, slide the adapter onto the track. Done. And it keeps the rig much lower than bolting the track to the gunnel, so with the easy twist nuts, the tall holder slides right off without tools and the track is low enough to stay on while still allowing the cover to fit. Bang. I did have to adapt, as my holders were too big for the one-size-fits-all-but-mine adapter plate, hence the chunk of 2x4. But whatever. I'll eventually dive for a loose pole and land on one again, so when that breaks it, I'll get one that fits.

The rear storage the kid sits on. Can maintenance get any easier?

The console is a bit cheap, but if that's what makes it "not $40k", then no complaints from me. No water temp gauge, which I though odd, but they included a trim gauge, which I found ever odder. I can see position. I can't see temperature. I suppose I'll chalk it up as "maintenance encouragement" and call it good. Did find out the live well pump is a two setting switch; one fills constantly, the other gives a 20sec or so blast (we call them fill and flush, or the livewell button and the toilet button lol). Also found out the bilge has auto engage when it started pissin' randomly. I suppose that's a good thing, but why was there water in there? Every time I pull the plug it's dry, I can only guess it's either rain or temp leaks when the hull is under great torque, and when we all wind up in the very back it pools enough to engage. I've seen it spit twice but I've not shot an ounce manually or out the plug. Radio is fancy, too. USB, AUX, even Bluetooth. I now feel like I understand what Rumspringa feels like.

Oh, and the sonar is out of this world. I still have not but glanced at the imaging, but the sonar itself is tight enough that I can watch my kid's line in the water, and see him pull fish off the bottom. It's some kinda Bill Dance devil witchsaucery that still making me feel like this is some sorta long term rental.

Closest thing I got for a bow pic. It's wide open save for the stand to accept another pedestal seat. While jigging today I splayed out up there and found again that the gunnel was as if it was specifically measured and tailored to me. It's more comfortable there than any seat in my home.

The storage is solid, too. I've not packed or unpacked the boat but one time so far. One tray of trolling plugs, one tray of assorted hooks and weights for jigging, slide them under the poles, and it's all packed away neat as can be. Only thing that comes and goes is the cooler and the cold weather gear.

And that's kinda that. I've been out 5 or 6 times it feels. At least one was in just garbage nastiness ripping straight outta Canada battering our balls off, we went 2mi at just over idle and got pretty well soaked. But there've been one or two real nice nights that were about as smooth as cultured ice. Fishing aside, the simple act of boating has been a joy I've never really experienced before. Even with ol reliable in the past, it was such a tinny, rattley, brang-dang-a-dangin' outfit that "boating" never entered the mind. It was a tool, a conveyance, ya know? Now? Anything. Everything. Check out the marina? Sure, let's look at other boats. No worries about not being able to come outta gear, let's get close. On-water meets? Sure. I can wiggle right up into you. Troll sketchy ass walls in shady current? Sure, it'll start when we need it, let's give it a whack. Lakeside bar? I'm sure I could squeeze her in there. The fishing plus a dollar would get you a coffee at McD's. The moments, though, those are starting to roll in.

Today was the first quasi-break we've had in awhile. There's been week's worth of days that were either great for fishing but bad for the fisherman, or vice versa. Get good water and then it would t-storm. Get a good high pressure system and the water'd be churned. On a run that'd usually end with 15-20 fish between 3 people, we were putting just 2 or 3 in the boat put together, and those were the good days. One day we got blanked. One day was a near blanking that we drove 90 min and brought neighborhood kids for; that one I wound up finding a tiny patch of gravel just off a loading ramp that got hot just in time to frenzy 30 in before dark. But I just haven't gotten on a hot one yet.

Today was a bit of a turn in that department. I was saying all day, "I can feel it". Not so much some weird superstition, it genuinely felt familiar. So much so that as the skies got purpler and purpler, I got more and more demanding - I'm going f#$%ing fishing, I don't care. And when it started pouring, I tossed the cover on it and rolled out.

Picked up the kid on the water, as he had already been there fishing the marina docks for the previous 4-5 hours. The land was purple but Canada looked clear, and the lake was smooth enough for an entertaining velocity. The chart on the sonar? Better than my book. I didn't think to test the topographical limits to see just how detailed it was, but GD this is far and beyond anything I've ever been exposed to, even on the BVI cats. Zoomed way out to see the entire eastern end from my house to Buff to CAN and I can see a few big humps. Zoom in and find one that looked nicely formed. Get there and zoom in and can see the whole shape of the entire structure. And every hump, dip and point on the chart, you go there and look to the sonar, and damn if it ain't right there.

We set up on the sheerest side of the shoal and I tossed the troller in, half just cuz and half as an anchor test. The wind was OK; it was going to get worse but still under what I would call "bad", and though I'm not sure the limits of this type of anchoring, I punched 'er on and sat to see.

The kid lit upon the first smallie right quick. I was only getting randomly and lightly picked at by goobers. The kid caught another and I hooked my first, and then we fully entered the goby field. About 45min had passed by now and it wasn't until then that I thought to move and remembered, oh hey, we're on motor anchor. I looked to the shoal marking buoy and while we had certainly strafed, we were very near where I had pushed anchor nearly an hour earlier. Not bad for holding against an 8 knot wind.

We moved and sat empty for a good 20 or 30, the kid starting to campaign to move back where we were. I put my foot down telling him I could feel it, and almost immediately hooked up. Fish were weird today, doing almost nothing whatsoever until almost at the boat. Every fish felt like a goby or a miss, and then suddenly an explosion. And this one I had was 4+. Just a monster small with deep green stripes, a real beaut. The kid saw it and screamed. Got it up, in,... and lost it at the boat. Tossed another craw on and put it right back down and immediately hooked up on the drop. This one was much smaller, but did take the lead for big fish of the day.

And then you know how kids s#$% talk? Like, they're no good at it, and they're probably not good at what they're doing, but you just smile because it's cute that a little turd is acting tough? It's f#$%ing maddening when one of those little s#$%s can back it up.

First, Biggest, AND Most. Gonna hafta Nancy Kerrigan this kid or somethin ;)
August 16th, 2019 at 9:47:54 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Nice. Maybe you need a captain hat.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 17th, 2019 at 3:48:02 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: DRich
Absolutely nothing is beyond the scope of what a casino host will attempt to obtain for you wealthy types.
August 17th, 2019 at 2:10:17 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Good to see junior wearing flotation.

https://bennetttrimtabs.com/guide-to-trim-tabs/#

I think it has an overheat alarm or it cuts throttle if it gets to hot like when the intake plugs.

The float switch on the bilge pump is a good diagnostic, reminds you if you forgot the plug or if you are taking on water.

New boats shouldn't leak. Can you put in the plug in the driveway and add a few inches from the hose and see if it leaks anywhere?

Nice to hear that affordable sonar is that good these days.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
August 19th, 2019 at 8:03:45 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154

First, Biggest, AND Most. Gonna hafta Nancy Kerrigan this kid or somethin ;)
he is really something!
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]