Fishing With Face

Thread Rating:

July 27th, 2019 at 8:36:27 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Face
With my current boat I hit rock for the first time ever due to a mix of sonar error, severe murk, and another boat that had already made its way in fooling me into security.
Unless things have changed since I was out there, by the time an object shows up on your sonar, you have already passed it. On those other "reasons", "experience gained is directly proportionate to the amount of equipment ruined". lol

Quote:
Other than that, I got my boat license at 14 and that was the first solid strike I've ever had. I might not can see what color a buoy is, but I can see the buoy lol. Trim up and glide.
Can't go wrong with Red, right, returning. Red over red/captains dead, Red over Green/center channel and No Wake.

Quote:
but I don't think it's robust enough to be jammed into bearings.
You can take out bearings with fishing line. Good to know if somebody keeps setting up on your gear and he's trolling. Use a planer to get your line into his prop. You can fish for all sorts of things. lol

Quote:
I saw that little fin. I thought it was an anode lol. Didn't know you could adjust these things. But can you really?
I believe, that be the "trim". Now that you have a wheel instead of a tiller, or even when you had a tiller, did you ever notice you were constantly holding into the thrust? Should be able to let go of the steering once in a while .

Quote:
Explain?
Had a girl-friend that was a yacht broker. She would sell boats two feet longer to the same people every 2-3 years, as they grew out of the ones they had. Called it two foot itus.

Quote: petro
Well don't be too glad, I'm not exactly thinking radio outside of taking advantage of something I already have.

I'm not sure if it's CB or VHF (it does have a monster antennae), but I'm not sure it matters. When I am out far enough to be life threatening, every marina from me to Buffalo is LOS. I think you might just have to deal with an ignorant youth. The only thing I see when I look at it is a way to spy on other fishermen to find the perch school lol.
Hopefully being able to make contact with a ship bearing down on you is never an issue. A "Mayday" call on the radio reaches everywhere all at once. The way I look at it is, you can call one person at a time with a cell phone or you can call everyone monitoring the emergency channel with one transmission with a vhf. Last I was looking at "hummingbirds", many of them interfaced with a vhf, and had a function where they would continue transmitting your position until you told it not to? Maybe it will be your turn to help?

Quote:
They did?! That's disappointing. I prefer Wyoming's approach - "It's Wyoming. You know this. We're not spending a mint and killing our trees. Get chains or stay home. See you in May." I would give anything to see NY without salt for a week. Would be awfully Darwinian =)
I figure, just like placement of where to place ferry depo's, somebody's relative had the salt contract. There is way to much ice, for way to long, to try and cover it up with salt. Stupid is as stupid does.

Quote:
And I suppose I have an add-on with this salt talk - I can't take this to the sea without upgrades, correct? Not that I'd be hitting the open ocean, but my best friend lives by Camp Lejeune and there's a bunch of areas I would fish but it's quite brackish. That pretty much a no-go without retrofitting?
AFAIK, she's ready to go? You have those "ear muffs for flushing out the cooling system with your garden hose? Flush it out good while running it at home, and rinse the salt off good [wax might help], nothing else I'm aware of. If you don't want to do that, maybe back it into some fresh water and idle it for awhile on the trailer.

Quote:
Is "wussy" some kinda Arizona lingo that means "f#$%ing genius"? Hot water, here I come! (I will accept any label more than I will accept being cold)
Picked that one up, in the PNW : ) I've reached back there quite a few times, it's nice.

Real talk, I just never trusted the solution-in-a-can stuff. From stop-leak to stabil, only thing I noticed was that a full pint of octane boost in a 6g tank made it smell like a super modified lol. I do have an ethanol-free joint right before I get to the beach...

Rather than cans, I prefer to just drain it. Empty tank with an unhooked line should keep the water out, no?
Just be aware, water in the fuel is not your friend. Even when new, I kept a spare set of plugs onboard and a plug wrench. I've changed plenty of them while floating. But then again, I kept my least dinged up spare prop, and a prop wrench aboard to.

Quote:
The gas mileage stuff you can save, unless you just like telling stories (I do like stories). I'm just never gonna be motoring all that far, and if I did, it wouldn't be flat out nor completely ICE powered, now that I've got 24V onboard. 11 days at sea and we only burn a little over $100 in diesel, and that's at $5/g. Even when halfway to Canada perch fishing a full 5g of purple gas meant that day's float plus the next.
It wasn't polite of me to talk about fuel mileage, my apology's. You have a multi-decade engine there. I was thinking tons of hobbs hours.

Quote:
23g? I bet that tank lasts me 10 trips.
J/C, if that's all you are going to use it, then yes you should have rented. If you are talking consecutive trips, I'll take that bet. One red chip if your interested.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
July 27th, 2019 at 11:10:59 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: petroglyph
Unless things have changed since I was out there, by the time an object shows up on your sonar, you have already passed it. On those other "reasons", "experience gained is directly proportionate to the amount of equipment ruined". lol

Yeah, the sonar is right on the transom, so even a perfect return might give you a measurable fraction of a second to react lol. I just knew it was a shallow point and so would have some buffer to idle close before trimming up and floating in. The weeds caused a huge error and the murk, which I didn't think could get churned too much as it was just wind action, gave maybe a cm of visibility. My eyes just didn't accept it. Clunk-clunk-clunk

I believe, that be the "trim". Now that you have a wheel instead of a tiller, or even when you had a tiller, did you ever notice you were constantly holding into the thrust? Should be able to let go of the steering once in a while .

Ha. Never once, really lol. I suppose because my craft are always relatively small. I basically have to sort of lean onto the wind and balance right on that edge. Every gust and lull requires some adjustment, and a miss means the boat turns all the way to the other side and I have to get back past the point. It's pretty much exactly like sailing, only not near as elegant.

Had a girl-friend that was a yacht broker. She would sell boats two feet longer to the same people every 2-3 years, as they grew out of the ones they had. Called it two foot itus.

No worries there. I got my current 19' over returning to a 16.5' because I wanted to handle worse weather. Turns out 3' isn't much of a difference, and any weather too bad for a 16' means my typical spots (all shallow) are gonna be churned up no matter what I'm in. Sizing up for weather would only make sense for walleye out where the deep doesn't churn, and that's a 24'+ step up. Couldn't afford it and have nowhere to store it if I could.

Having had a 16 and a 19, I preferred the 16 if only I had a touch more usable space in back. This solved that and then some. I'm not going to want to upgrade.

Hopefully being able to make contact with a ship bearing down on you is never an issue. A "Mayday" call on the radio reaches everywhere all at once. The way I look at it is, you can call one person at a time with a cell phone or you can call everyone monitoring the emergency channel with one transmission with a vhf. Last I was looking at "hummingbirds", many of them interfaced with a vhf, and had a function where they would continue transmitting your position until you told it not to? Maybe it will be your turn to help?

Nah, the ships are out way further than I ever go, I only need deal with guys my size. Well, them and kite surfers. Is buzzing boats part of the goal with those?

It wasn't polite of me to talk about fuel mileage, my apology's. You have a multi-decade engine there. I was thinking tons of hobbs hours.

J/C, if that's all you are going to use it, then yes you should have rented. If you are talking consecutive trips, I'll take that bet. One red chip if your interested.

I don't mind, never know what might stick or what you might learn. It's just that I launch close as I can in every single case, and spend most of my time in <20' of water. It's not a lot of motoring. Hell, if I stayed home I could do the whole trip on just the troller lol.

I actually did look at renting, just in case. It was like $4XX for the day and some $1,200+ for a week, before tax, fuel, and whatever cleaning and extras they pile on there. Multiply that by how much I fish when I have faithful equipment, and there's no manner of math that could make that work. 10 trips would be a year's financing. Madness.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
July 28th, 2019 at 3:21:53 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Face, when do you expect to pick up the boat?
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
July 29th, 2019 at 10:31:35 AM permalink
Face
Quote: DRich
Face, when do you expect to pick up the boat?

Well, did the loan on Tues and seeing as though I got backwoods banking, I suspect it won't be the bottleneck. Loan officer / head honcho is my next door neighbor; my truck loan was done in her kitchen at 1900hrs and took ~2 days lol.

I made the boat call on Weds. He said it was just 1-2 days for outfitting, but he had to order the stuff first. My postal prognostication puts the parts there on Mon (today), so it should be done tomorrow or Weds. I expect it will be in my hands then.

Of course, I always hypothesize assuming things will go the way they SHOULD go, and due to that I'm right about 6% of the time =P But with an order last Weds and a 1-2 day turnaround, I can't see why I don't have it this week.

In any case it will be very soon, and work doesn't come until mid Sept at the earliest. I think 100 fish before then is as good a goal as any =)
July 29th, 2019 at 11:23:10 AM permalink
DRich
Well, did the loan on Tues and seeing as though I got backwoods banking, I suspect it won't be the bottleneck. Loan officer / head honcho is my next door neighbor; my truck loan was done in her kitchen at 1900hrs and took ~2 days lol.

I made the boat call on Weds. He said it was just 1-2 days for outfitting, but he had to order the stuff first. My postal prognostication puts the parts there on Mon (today), so it should be done tomorrow or Weds. I expect it will be in my hands then.

Of course, I always hypothesize assuming things will go the way they SHOULD go, and due to that I'm right about 6% of the time =P But with an order last Weds and a 1-2 day turnaround, I can't see why I don't have it this week.

In any case it will be very soon, and work doesn't come until mid Sept at the earliest. I think 100 fish before then is as good a goal as any =)

That is fantastic. Please post pictures of it when you get it. I want to see it all outfitted. Are you going to have your son take the New York boater education course?
July 29th, 2019 at 11:58:06 AM permalink
Face
That is fantastic. Please post pictures of it when you get it. I want to see it all outfitted. Are you going to have your son take the New York boater education course?

I don't know how licensing runs these days. When I was a yute, kids with the license could operate a vessel solo @14 and there was nothing restricting PWC. I've not paid attention since I aged out, but I'm pretty sure licenses for PWC got real serious and changed drastically. What if any changes were made to vessels I'm unaware of.

He'll definitely get some learnin'. We were well on our way with the last one, but this one was too unreliable to put him on anything. Should be easy to train him at a higher level than basic state stuff, though, so im not exactly pursuing it. Biggest thing it would give him is legal permission for solo rides, but he'll need familial permission first. And it'll be a hard no on that one for awhile lol

Neither of us has school or work for a month. There WILL be pictures =D
July 30th, 2019 at 3:41:04 PM permalink
Face
LOL! For the millionth time ever the universe f#$%ed me.

I called boat dude this morning just for an update. Parts were in and the motor was already on, said he had to fill er with oil and all that mess, probably be done tomorrow. Hung up with him and called the bank... oy vey.

So get this... apparently boat loans are done differently. Blah blah blah and they would only secure the cost of the boat, leaving me (they said) ~$8,000 short. I said wtf? Please explain. Apparently, they can only secure a loan for the shell ($13,000) and the motor ($11k)(And holy s#$%, $11k?!?!). The add ons and miscellany cannot be covered. Wondering how in hells my $2k in add ons equaled $8k, I came to find out THEY DON'T EVEN INCLUDE THE TRAILER! It's literally shell and motor, eff you on the rest. And as soon as I was off that call, boat guy called. It's ready for delivery. GREAT TIMING, GUY! lol

Ain't that weird? I didn't finance an F350 cab AND an F350 frame AND a 330ci Ford, I financed a truck. Why is one sum of parts an item, while another sum of parts is... a list of parts? What kinda 1917's coach building bulls#$% is this, anyway?

So I went hunting for financial info, as I'm a complete rube when it comes to that stuff. Long story slightly shorter, all suggested scenarios basically boiled down to the same result - get a cosigner and it'll go through*

*at $30 more a month and near double the APR.

As one who thinks 3% is the upper limit of tolerance, this was absolutely unacceptable. And $8k might as well be $8mm for all the chances of knowing someone who had it lying around...

...except for that miserable prick that's been spending every ounce of his will working toward a race car for the last 6 years.

Gonna be a hungry month. Good thing my new perch obtainer comes tomorrow =D
July 30th, 2019 at 5:43:40 PM permalink
DRich
Are you trying to finance through your bank or through the boat manufacturers finance partner?

Have you explained this to the boat dealer? He should have dealt with this before and have a remedy. He could raise the price of the boat and motor by $8000 and throw in the other options for free.
July 30th, 2019 at 6:06:11 PM permalink
DRich
Apparently, they can only secure a loan for the shell ($13,000) and the motor ($11k)(And holy s#$%, $11k?!?!).

Outboard motor prices are crazy. About two years ago my father replaced his and it was over $24k. It was also a Yamaha.
August 1st, 2019 at 10:50:08 AM permalink
Face
Are you trying to finance through your bank or through the boat manufacturers finance partner?.

Sorry, thought I responded. Must've hit cancel.

Didn't tell him nothing. Race car taught me juggling a mess leads to mental instability lol.

All's my way did is leave me insecure for a bit. Once I get a few bucks back under me, I'll have my security back and years of reasonable payments. It'll be better this way. Eventually lol

I'll be back with a report if I ever come back off the water =D