Fishing With Face

Thread Rating:

July 24th, 2019 at 7:26:38 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Face

Orders went out today, prep starts tomorrow. Should have it in ~a week.

Who wants to go fishing? =D

Congrats Face. Is your boy excited? Don't forget to get a cheap set of water skis. Every boy on Lake Erie needs to learn to ski.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
July 24th, 2019 at 8:41:54 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: DRich
Congrats Face. Is your boy excited? Don't forget to get a cheap set of water skis. Every boy on Lake Erie needs to learn to ski.

I've never played on Erie. All that stuff we did on Kinzua or Chautauqua. I find Erie to be too choppy for play unless you're 24'+, and there's no way I can take him to the water and have him interested in anything other than wetting a line lol

He's fishing right now. Went camping with my mom and just fishes all day everyday. Says he's got 20 so far (2 days in), 3lb biggest and a 5 snapped him off =)

About the boat he has no idea. Last he knew is that after everything, my boat still has problems. Didn't even hint aboot getting it fixed let alone looking for something else.

It's gonna be fun =)
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
July 25th, 2019 at 6:49:45 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
I learned to ski on Erie on an 18' bowrider. We usually tried to go at dawn and could find waves under 2 feet.

I am sure your son will be so excited when he comes over and sees a new boat at the house.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
July 25th, 2019 at 7:02:24 AM permalink
Face
Won't be ready by the time he gets back. Figure I'll drag him to the city again for "parts", and he'll just find out I meant a lot of parts lol
July 25th, 2019 at 11:13:12 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Have you researched what pitch you want on the propeller ?

You getting an official Yamaha oil/water separator for the new vessel? OEM looks nice.

Does it come with all required safety equipment, horn, fire extinguisher, stern light, paddle etc? Zincs?

Trim tabs are nice.

Any chance to see any of these already in the water, to determine motor mounting height? We always prefer a lift when possible. https://www.wholesalemarine.com/cmc-high-speed-hydraulic-power-lift-transom-jack/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI95-7h9fQ4wIVjP7jBx3k3AWnEAQYAyABEgKXofD_BwE

Don't forget the two happiest days of owning a boat.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
July 25th, 2019 at 12:41:49 PM permalink
Face
Quote: petroglyph
Have you researched what pitch you want on the propeller ?

Run what ya brung. Yamaha knows more than I do, and the only performance I care about is starting and planing. If it does those, I don't care how it's done

Quote: Petro
You getting an official Yamaha oil/water separator for the new vessel? OEM looks nice.

Iono. Run what ya brung lol. I'm back in no man's, my only o/b was a two stroke. Gonna have to do some reading

Quote: petro
Does it come with all required safety equipment, horn, fire extinguisher, stern light, paddle etc? Zincs?

Pfft, doubt it. But im pillaging everything from the glass boat. It'll be legal straight away.

Quote: Petro
Any chance to see any of these already in the water, to determine motor mounting height? We always prefer a lift when possible. https://www.wholesalemarine.com/cmc-high-speed-hydraulic-power-lift-transom-jack/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI95-7h9fQ4wIVjP7jBx3k3AWnEAQYAyABEgKXofD_BwE

Don't forget the two happiest days of owning a boat.

They're doing all the setup, i don't need to measure anything. It'll have a lift for the main motor, but I skipped the auto deploy for the trolling motor. Ain't nothing to plop a troll in the water, especially one already on a mount, and it seemed a wasteful expense.

Ain't worried about that happy day nonsense. Fishing without mechanical worries will take care of that and then some =)
July 25th, 2019 at 2:12:02 PM permalink
petroglyph
Run what ya brung. Yamaha knows more than I do,
Yes they do, and that's why they have a selection of props that fit on that shaft. I was just trying to point out that often, even when you buy a new motor it doesn't come with a prop. And you can either say gee, maybe I just buy any old prop, or look into it and get one best suited for your use. If you are going to run in the shallows, you are going to be going through props. This is plenty of motor for what you are doing, which gives you options. There's nothing wrong with considering fuel economy, imo. Let me know when she's planing, where the cavitation plate sits as regards the water surface.

Quote:
Iono. Run what ya brung lol. I'm back in no man's, my only o/b was a two stroke. Gonna have to do some reading
If you are anything like me [lol] you want to get it the way you want it right off the get go, because that's the way it's going to stay. Run what you brung sure, that is so after it's launched. jus sayin Get it how you want it now. After commissioning it will be maintenance only as you will be on to bigger things.

Quote:
Pfft, doubt it. But im pillaging everything from the glass boat. It'll be legal straight away.
I don't think they could sell an illegal boat?

Quote:
They're doing all the setup, i don't need to measure anything. It'll have a lift for the main motor,
It will come with trim and tilt, not lift. No doubt you are getting the finest marine motor made, good on ya. Just a few nigs setting it up, that pay dividends. Most folks don't care. Great time to mop&glo the bottom, before algae spores get a chance to sprout in the aluminum pours. https://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/threads/aluminum-boat-algae.594325/

Quote:
but I skipped the auto deploy for the trolling motor. Ain't nothing to plop a troll in the water, especially one already on a mount, and it seemed a wasteful expense.
hahaha, good one.

Quote:
Ain't worried about that happy day nonsense. Fishing without mechanical worries will take care of that and then some =)
Yeah it's great to be able to have confidence in your equipment, but this one won't run any better on water in the fuel than the last one. Actually I think the inboards run a little better on water than the outboards. lo tech.
July 26th, 2019 at 9:50:57 AM permalink
Face
Yes they do, and that's why they have a selection of props that fit on that shaft. I was just trying to point out that often, even when you buy a new motor it doesn't come with a prop. And you can either say gee, maybe I just buy any old prop, or look into it and get one best suited for your use. If you are going to run in the shallows, you are going to be going through props. This is plenty of motor for what you are doing, which gives you options. There's nothing wrong with considering fuel economy, imo. Let me know when she's planing, where the cavitation plate sits as regards the water surface.

Had no idea, but I would expect that when buying one as part of a new boat, that it comes with lol.

I'm gonna disagree with wrecking it, tho. So long as I have the troller, that's what'll be taking the beating. While I may chase into no-man's-land no matter what I got hanging on the back, I can and do lift it before the weed line if I have another option =)

But what's a cav plate? That fin that sits horizontally above the prop?

If you are anything like me [lol] you want to get it the way you want it right off the get go, because that's the way it's going to stay. Run what you brung sure, that is so after it's launched. jus sayin Get it how you want it now. After commissioning it will be maintenance only as you will be on to bigger things.

I'm still giggling with how far I went with this one. Push button, hands free trolling? I'd get kicked out of the commune if they heard about this ;) But other than the console, it has every single thing I could ever want. Well, except for the tackle (downriggers, planers, masts, etc)

I don't think they could sell an illegal boat?

I dunno, all my sales come side of the road lol. But I meant Coastie legal. I didn't expect them to throw in whistle, flares, PFDs, hook and all that. Lights, sure. Horn, sure. But I supposed all the others came from self, so I pillaged the old boat. Hell, since its future likely lies on the wholesale market, I should probably pull the CB out of the dash, too...

It will come with trim and tilt, not lift. No doubt you are getting the finest marine motor made, good on ya. Just a few nigs setting it up, that pay dividends. Most folks don't care. Great time to mop&glo the bottom, before algae spores get a chance to sprout in the aluminum pours. https://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/threads/aluminum-boat-algae.594325/

Iono, I push a button and it comes out of the water. But yeah, that's what I'm looking for. How to keep this thing new, and banging maintenance needs before they become maintenance projects. If you have any tips to change BOAT from Break Out Another Thousand (in the shop) to Break Out Another Thirtypack (on the water), I'm all ears. I'll of course research, but sometimes users find stuff engineers miss.

Perhaps with a focus on storage. I believe the folks of AK are stout enough to not require perpetually salted roads, but you do have salt knowledge and I doubt I'll be able to resist floating the hot water outlet in the frozen bay. I might need a talking to lol

Yeah it's great to be able to have confidence in your equipment, but this one won't run any better on water in the fuel than the last one. Actually I think the inboards run a little better on water than the outboards. lo tech.

No worries. I occasionally lament the towing cost when going to Chautauqua, but I've never once concerned myself with fuel on the water. I just don't motor enough nor have had a big enough boat to worry. Suppose it helps when a 6sp one ton is your daily. Everything else pales in comparison XD

23gal tank. My old 50hp Force would last nearly the year on that.
July 27th, 2019 at 12:35:04 PM permalink
petroglyph
Had no idea, but I would expect that when buying one as part of a new boat, that it comes with lol.

I'm gonna disagree with wrecking it, tho. So long as I have the troller, that's what'll be taking the beating. While I may chase into no-man's-land no matter what I got hanging on the back, I can and do lift it before the weed line if I have another option =)
Yeah, you can probably avoid the rocks pretty well, I ground most of my props off in faster running water. I figured I wasn't having enough fun if I didn't rip the blades off at least one per year. Lots of guys have a "wall of shame" where they display their damaged props. It's surprising how little blade you actually need for forward propulsion : ). It's not nice to run one long with badly dinged blades though, you can feel the imbalance clear up at the wheel.

I think that is a very good sized motor for your boat. I usually ran undersized motors, at least for a while due to restrictions by fish&game putting limits on the Kenai, so everyone that was serious tried everything they could think of to increase their speed with the 35 horse and now the 50 limit engine. I had a twenty foot aluminum [Koffler lite] guide model that stripped only weighed 600 lbs. I was clocked once doing 29 mph with only a 35 horse motor. Cool. Guides shared tricks like waxing the bottom and putting a slight bend in the transom chine to get a little lift. Those would run in 6 inches of water, but hard on skaggs and props. : ) Guys running the Yukon were known to cut the skag off their outboards so they could run in shallower water.

Using a stainless prop is more likely to rip the lower unit off the motor in a prop strike than an aluminum. Nice to keep a big bastard file around for tuning the prop up after the occasional thwack. You get so you can tune up the blades, similar to how you do a chainsaw blade. Few strokes of a file here, a few there, good as new not. But you can see it in the prop wash when the blades are cutting true. Got to be aware of refurbished blades from cutthroat outfits, they don't seem to care about blade balance much, which is hard on the bearings in the lower unit. Aluminum props give you a better hole shot, imo. At least if you are light on power. Stainless are supposed to be better at weedchopping, but I've heard of guys taking out a shaft with two inch bull kelp?

Just remembered hitting some kelp forest one time, almost like hitting a log. Later found out the root system on bull kelp can weigh up to a ton. Learned to steer around it after that one. lol salt water only oops, got drifting off on that one. Prices on bronze props goes up exponentially, hehe

Quote:
But what's a cav plate? That fin that sits horizontally above the prop?
yep, not sure on the official name? On the underside of that, is a little adjustable fin that you can tweak if she's pulling one way or the other on you.

Quote:
I'm still giggling with how far I went with this one. Push button, hands free trolling? I'd get kicked out of the commune if they heard about this ;) But other than the console, it has every single thing I could ever want. Well, except for the tackle (downriggers, planers, masts, etc)
Beware of two foot itus. It's a virus that infects boaters about every 2-3 years.

Quote:
I dunno, all my sales come side of the road lol. But I meant Coastie legal. I didn't expect them to throw in whistle, flares, PFDs, hook and all that. Lights, sure. Horn, sure. But I supposed all the others came from self, so I pillaged the old boat. Hell, since its future likely lies on the wholesale market, I should probably pull the CB out of the dash, too...
I never saw much use to cb's on the water unless you want to talk to truck traffic out on the highway. For near shore marine applications I prefer vhf radios. that is a worthy investment. I like the nice 6-8 ft. fiberglass looking antenna that folds down? Those vhf's see around corners much better than cb, much farther and clearer. And it's the frequency that other mariners will be listening in on. You can talk to ship traffic, or listen in when they are chatting vhf, or they can talk to you. I'm glad you are even thinking radio, I have wondered if your generation was going to rely on strictly cell phones? Emergency channel of course is 16, the harbor usually monitors 12 ymmv. I'm not going to get into the model, but a good ICOM vhf is worth every penny. But in an TEOTWAWKI situation, a cb might come in handy. Road warriors and all.

Quote:
Iono, I push a button and it comes out of the water. But yeah, that's what I'm looking for. How to keep this thing new, and banging maintenance needs before they become maintenance projects. If you have any tips to change BOAT from Break Out Another Thousand (in the shop) to Break Out Another Thirtypack (on the water), I'm all ears. I'll of course research, but sometimes users find stuff engineers miss.
Just common sense things you already do in your life. I believe in spraying a little diluted bleach on the bare hull when it starts to get a bit of growth on it, and for sure wax it. I'm assuming that with the pounding water, solids get suspended in the water column, like sand and such? Waxing it, [Mop and glo, cheap kitchen wax] It glides noticeably smoother through the water, and it all adds up in gas mileage. The owners manual with the YAMAHA [whoot whoot] shows you how to check lower unit grease. Get a lower unit pump device, they are cheap enough. Totally worth checking it each spring, and when you pump it in the bottom [as is the way] any water in the unit will come out the top. That's a good diagnostic to see if your lower unit is ever leaking, and it's good to assure yourself each year that your unit is topped off. Get a grease gun dedicated to this boat only. I like to story mine in an old pillow case. Never mix grease. Grease all the zircs, and definitely the steering cable zerk. It would be worth checking that before launching, not knowing if the installers greased it or not? Purple will work for the motor zerks, and the bearing buddies on the trailer. You should make sure before launching the first time that you have grease in the steering cable, if possible. Once water gets in it, I don't know of a way to chase it out?

Quote:
Perhaps with a focus on storage. I believe the folks of AK are stout enough to not require perpetually salted roads, but you do have salt knowledge and I doubt I'll be able to resist floating the hot water outlet in the frozen bay. I might need a talking to lol
I couldn't believe it, Ak started salting their roads about 3 years ago? Asinine to the nth degree. I don't grock hot water outlet? Are you talking the pisser on the cooling water?

I once heard of a fella that routed a tube [like fish tank air line] from the pisser on his outboard to a little hand sink clamped on his stern, that way he always had warm water to rinse his hands off in. Sure he was a wussy, but just say it's for the lady's.

Quote:
No worries. I occasionally lament the towing cost when going to Chautauqua, but I've never once concerned myself with fuel on the water. I just don't motor enough nor have had a big enough boat to worry. Suppose it helps when a 6sp one ton is your daily. Everything else pales in comparison XD
I'm talking about the water that condensates inside the aluminum fuel tank on the boat. Inside that tank, is a man made cloud that creates rain inside the tank, [ to a very minor degree]. Also, I'm sure you are aware that the octane rating that is advertised at the fuel pump is often reached by chemical means. That degrades in 3 weeks. Sometimes if you look and are willing to pay for it, the fuel pumps at the marina have a much higher quality of fuel, and that fuel reaches it's octane rating by the proper method, not some new wave nwo means of turning corn or water into gas, that doesn't break down. I'd guess in your owners manual for NEW YAMAHA's, had to shout it : ) It will recommend if you need to use premium gas or not? I added one stabilizer or another probably to every fill up. This motor is friggin awesome, but you possess the power to ruin it, by not paying attention to the fuel. I mean, how fuggin hard is it to add stabil, or be aware of what's in that tank? In my time spent ruminating, in my inner conversation, we talked, me and me. We determined that if that ocean was going to kill me, it wouldn't be my fault for not taking all the precautions I could. You got the power to get out there now, take it seriously. imo

Quote:
23gal tank. My old 50hp Force would last nearly the year on that.
Not sure on yours, but my friends 225 at full throttle burns 28 gallons per hour. I'd say the majority of regular boats out there figure about a mile per gallon? It's like the standard estimate. My salt water boat used 1.1 gallons per mile. So I couldn't even leave the harbor and go out to the nearest rock pile without burning through a hundred dollar bill. When I sold it, gas was around 4 bucks per gallon, and I seldom used less than a hundred gallons per trip. Do the math.

That's why I continue saying, " it depends on what you want to do with each boat". That particular one, was about being big enough to go near shore in the gulf of Alaska and take by entire family out boat camping comfortably. I worked in coastal towns for people that would pay me per diem, and I would use that money to live on my boat.

Then matters changed, and my boating changed to being more about getting out fishing instead of staying aboard. I needed a faster, cheaper to run, smaller boat, that got better mileage. It wasn't worth four hundred dollars just for a few fish dinners, in a fishing community. Well actually I lived on fish, but still.

Just as you don't need a 115 horse down at the crick.
July 27th, 2019 at 5:59:15 PM permalink
Face
Yeah, you can probably avoid the rocks pretty well, I ground most of my props off in faster running water. I figured I wasn't having enough fun if I didn't rip the blades off at least one per year. Lots of guys have a "wall of shame" where they display their damaged props. It's surprising how little blade you actually need for forward propulsion : ). It's not nice to run one long with badly dinged blades though, you can feel the imbalance clear up at the wheel.

I think that is a very good sized motor for your boat. I usually ran undersized motors, at least for a while due to restrictions by fish&game putting limits on the Kenai, so everyone that was serious tried everything they could think of to increase their speed with the 35 horse and now the 50 limit engine. I had a twenty foot aluminum [Koffler lite] guide model that stripped only weighed 600 lbs. I was clocked once doing 29 mph with only a 35 horse motor. Cool. Guides shared tricks like waxing the bottom and putting a slight bend in the transom chine to get a little lift. Those would run in 6 inches of water, but hard on skaggs and props. : ) Guys running the Yukon were known to cut the skag off their outboards so they could run in shallower water.

Using a stainless prop is more likely to rip the lower unit off the motor in a prop strike than an aluminum. Nice to keep a big bastard file around for tuning the prop up after the occasional thwack. You get so you can tune up the blades, similar to how you do a chainsaw blade. Few strokes of a file here, a few there, good as new not. But you can see it in the prop wash when the blades are cutting true. Got to be aware of refurbished blades from cutthroat outfits, they don't seem to care about blade balance much, which is hard on the bearings in the lower unit. Aluminum props give you a better hole shot, imo. At least if you are light on power. Stainless are supposed to be better at weedchopping, but I've heard of guys taking out a shaft with two inch bull kelp?

Just remembered hitting some kelp forest one time, almost like hitting a log. Later found out the root system on bull kelp can weigh up to a ton. Learned to steer around it after that one. lol salt water only oops, got drifting off on that one. Prices on bronze props goes up exponentially, hehe

With my current boat I hit rock for the first time ever due to a mix of sonar error, severe murk, and another boat that had already made its way in fooling me into security. Other than that, I got my boat license at 14 and that was the first solid strike I've ever had. I might not can see what color a buoy is, but I can see the buoy lol. Trim up and glide.

The rest seems regional. My duckweed might endanger the water intake, but it's not taking my prop unless it's hiding a sunken tree lol. There's another invasive that gets a bit vine-y, but I don't think it's robust enough to be jammed into bearings. Gonna keep the fast water in mind, though. Hope to do some Niagara / St Lawrence sometime soon-ish.

yep, not sure on the official name? On the underside of that, is a little adjustable fin that you can tweak if she's pulling one way or the other on you.

I saw that little fin. I thought it was an anode lol. Didn't know you could adjust these things. But can you really? I look at em more like snowmobiles; steering is sort of a compilation of suggestions as opposed to a directive lol. The idea that anything short of a giant rudder could make a difference seems counterintuitive.

Beware of two foot itus. It's a virus that infects boaters about every 2-3 years.

Explain?

I never saw much use to cb's on the water unless you want to talk to truck traffic out on the highway. For near shore marine applications I prefer vhf radios. that is a worthy investment. I like the nice 6-8 ft. fiberglass looking antenna that folds down? Those vhf's see around corners much better than cb, much farther and clearer. And it's the frequency that other mariners will be listening in on. You can talk to ship traffic, or listen in when they are chatting vhf, or they can talk to you. I'm glad you are even thinking radio, I have wondered if your generation was going to rely on strictly cell phones? Emergency channel of course is 16, the harbor usually monitors 12 ymmv. I'm not going to get into the model, but a good ICOM vhf is worth every penny. But in an TEOTWAWKI situation, a cb might come in handy. Road warriors and all.

Well don't be too glad, I'm not exactly thinking radio outside of taking advantage of something I already have.

I'm not sure if it's CB or VHF (it does have a monster antennae), but I'm not sure it matters. When I am out far enough to be life threatening, every marina from me to Buffalo is LOS. I think you might just have to deal with an ignorant youth. The only thing I see when I look at it is a way to spy on other fishermen to find the perch school lol.

Just common sense things you already do in your life

Bahaha, thanks for the chuckle ;)

I couldn't believe it, Ak started salting their roads about 3 years ago? Asinine to the nth degree. I don't grock hot water outlet? Are you talking the pisser on the cooling water?

They did?! That's disappointing. I prefer Wyoming's approach - "It's Wyoming. You know this. We're not spending a mint and killing our trees. Get chains or stay home. See you in May." I would give anything to see NY without salt for a week. Would be awfully Darwinian =)

"Hot water" refers to the 400mw power plant I got nearby. It discharges its cooling water right into the bay so it never freezes and is the only place to find open water in a typical February. Not that it's often, but I have floated a boat in it during the snow as the sole dock makes it combat fishing, which I hate. That, obviously, will require some further attention as it's an hour round trip through all manner of sand and concentrated salt. And I suppose I have an add-on with this salt talk - I can't take this to the sea without upgrades, correct? Not that I'd be hitting the open ocean, but my best friend lives by Camp Lejeune and there's a bunch of areas I would fish but it's quite brackish. That pretty much a no-go without retrofitting?

I once heard of a fella that routed a tube [like fish tank air line] from the pisser on his outboard to a little hand sink clamped on his stern, that way he always had warm water to rinse his hands off in. Sure he was a wussy, but just say it's for the lady's.

Is "wussy" some kinda Arizona lingo that means "f#$%ing genius"? Hot water, here I come! (I will accept any label more than I will accept being cold)

I'm talking about the water that condensates inside the aluminum fuel tank on the boat. Inside that tank, is a man made cloud that creates rain inside the tank, [ to a very minor degree]. Also, I'm sure you are aware that the octane rating that is advertised at the fuel pump is often reached by chemical means. That degrades in 3 weeks. Sometimes if you look and are willing to pay for it, the fuel pumps at the marina have a much higher quality of fuel, and that fuel reaches it's octane rating by the proper method, not some new wave nwo means of turning corn or water into gas, that doesn't break down. I'd guess in your owners manual for NEW YAMAHA's, had to shout it : ) It will recommend if you need to use premium gas or not? I added one stabilizer or another probably to every fill up. This motor is friggin awesome, but you possess the power to ruin it, by not paying attention to the fuel. I mean, how fuggin hard is it to add stabil, or be aware of what's in that tank? In my time spent ruminating, in my inner conversation, we talked, me and me. We determined that if that ocean was going to kill me, it wouldn't be my fault for not taking all the precautions I could. You got the power to get out there now, take it seriously. imo

Real talk, I just never trusted the solution-in-a-can stuff. From stop-leak to stabil, only thing I noticed was that a full pint of octane boost in a 6g tank made it smell like a super modified lol. I do have an ethanol-free joint right before I get to the beach...

Rather than cans, I prefer to just drain it. Empty tank with an unhooked line should keep the water out, no?

The gas mileage stuff you can save, unless you just like telling stories (I do like stories). I'm just never gonna be motoring all that far, and if I did, it wouldn't be flat out nor completely ICE powered, now that I've got 24V onboard. 11 days at sea and we only burn a little over $100 in diesel, and that's at $5/g. Even when halfway to Canada perch fishing a full 5g of purple gas meant that day's float plus the next.

23g? I bet that tank lasts me 10 trips.