Fishing With Face

Thread Rating:

July 22nd, 2019 at 11:37:43 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Why's this turning into just another vehicle purchase? This is supposed to be fun -_-

Turns out just about everything on my list has some sort of manu defect. Ranger especially; you'd think such a huge name with a skillion dollars behind it would be safe. Nope. Reviews galore of transom weld cracks after just one year. Heard the same or similar about Tracker. Oi. I'd hate to think of the ructions I'd stir if my NEW boat died. Christ all Friday.

And man, much like trucks, this is being ruined by aristocracy. In conjunction with "Reels on Wheels" I might have to launch Volksboot. A boat for the people. No metal flake paint, no chrome wheels, no 500W x 6 Alpine sound. Just a dry shell with reliable power and a 20g internal tank for the victories. 17 footer go for $3,995, instead of $31,475 plus tax, freight, delivery, reg, assembly,....
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
July 22nd, 2019 at 11:52:40 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Saw a howto of a guy making a boat out of styrofoam. So, no matter how much trouble you get in it will float — or pieces of it will float.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 22nd, 2019 at 12:24:25 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
What type of a motor on your $3,995 boat? I had a box of Captain Crunch that had a toy boat that ran on baking soda.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
July 22nd, 2019 at 1:32:20 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: DRich
I had a box of Captain Crunch that had a toy boat that ran on baking soda.

But even still, FACE would have to buy a slightly damaged used one
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 22nd, 2019 at 1:54:32 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Face
Why's this turning into just another vehicle purchase? This is supposed to be fun -_-

Turns out just about everything on my list has some sort of manu defect. Ranger especially; you'd think such a huge name with a skillion dollars behind it would be safe. Nope. Reviews galore of transom weld cracks after just one year. Heard the same or similar about Tracker. Oi. I'd hate to think of the ructions I'd stir if my NEW boat died. Christ all Friday.

And man, much like trucks, this is being ruined by aristocracy. In conjunction with "Reels on Wheels" I might have to launch Volksboot. A boat for the people. No metal flake paint, no chrome wheels, no 500W x 6 Alpine sound. Just a dry shell with reliable power and a 20g internal tank for the victories. 17 footer go for $3,995, instead of $31,475 plus tax, freight, delivery, reg, assembly,....
I've never heard a discouraging word, about Lund boats ?

https://www.boattrader.com/listing/2002-lund-1800-fisherman-103628183/
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
July 23rd, 2019 at 4:29:52 PM permalink
Face
What type of a motor on your $3,995 boat? I had a box of Captain Crunch that had a toy boat that ran on baking soda.

Whatever 1970's Japanese design the Chinese are plagiarizing that day lol. Ran Dum Junq Motors, Inc. A 10 horse goes $175. Will lose two of those horses on the way home, but two of those horses will still be trotting when the sun goes red and consumes us =)

Might be all done with this, and I might be saying that in a good way for the first time in a long time. Found a holdover, 2017 I think but brand new. Lots to like but some serious things I'm not certain at all about. It's not entirely technical, so boat riders (not just owners) are welcome to respond.

I guess the biggest concern of all is that it's a sport console. Perhaps I'm overly sensitive, but I can easily think of several times a full / WT console has been used and would be desired - pretty much every time we go out to get out of the wind, about half the time we go out to get legs/feet out of the sun, a couple times a year to shelter from downpours and once to hide from lightning. As it's a holdover, there's not an option to order one (though I suppose it could be retrofitted in the future, at cost) and though I'm of the mind to not pay five figures unless I'm wholly satisfied, I also see it's, essentially, a $10,000 difference for just that detail. It is kinda nice to have the extra room, so it's not all bad, but I do like being secure. Can't figure out whether I should make this a case or if I'm being ridiculous.

Another concern is actually a desire, I'm just concerned by my lack of familiarity with it. It has a NINETY NINE INCH BEAM. I could plop an army cot down widthwise and it'd fit with room to spare, it's absolutely massive. Suppose this is more a petro question, but will this be noticeable on the water? Waves more or less severe? Will it still drift side face to the wind if drifting unpowered? I def want it for the onboard comfort and usability, I just don't want any performance surprises and I've never seen a craft with anywhere near such a squat profile.

Some random stuff so you can judge intelligently... it's a 2017, unused, 17' 9". Comes with a YAMAHA 115 with 5 yr warranty. Hull has lifetime warranty. The floor is supposedly made out of some new type of treated wood, lifetime warranty for original owner. Warp, bow, sog, they'll replace it. Dude even said he did one this year he wouldn't have touched; full of water, rotten leaves, basically left outside its whole life - the manufacturer warranty'd it anyway. Dual livewells pre-installed with pump/aerator (10g up front, 21g in back). Prerigged battery charger (didn't see make), just plug an extension cord into the console and it gets both the crank and trolling cells. Tip of the bow has 12v outlet with battery bank gauge and (I thought it was neat) a trimmer switch. If you're up front and get into the shallow stuff, you can trim the big motor out of the mud with naught but a toe poke, don't even have to move. Storage is standard fishing (more rod holders than cup holders), I won't bore you with details on that. Trailer is whatever; single axle, loading guides, collapsible tongue... it's a trailer. And that's about it. As of now this package is sitting at $24,900.

Just for s#$%s and gigs (dude was an old timer, reminded me strikingly of my FiL) I spent time with the guy making out a package. I came all the way to the city, so let's just see. Instead of, as rxwine reminds, picking any old random garbage that'll work for now, I let the old timer dream and just followed his path. We went off brand with trolling, but premium in potential. We wound up with the 80#, 24V Presidente option, because why not get stupid with it? GPS with preplanned routes and auto execution? Yes, please. Ability to plot a route and be ferried along autonomously? Sure, why not? And how about just hitting a button and having an automatic motorized anchor? How about we do? When it comes to finding the fish, I need no more than the most basic of sonar. Maybe get a little more basic than an analog needle cuz it does keep the kids engaged, but none of that $2,500 Hunt for Red Oktober nonsense I see coming out of Lowrance these days. And hell, toss in a biminy because I'm sensitive, and do all the rigging, wiring, mounting and configuration along with a bank of deep cycles so it's rigged to MY max. What we got then?

Still <$30,000.

So... put on your dad hats and let me have it. And someone talk me into/out of this console

July 23rd, 2019 at 7:23:29 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Obviously the width will slow you down, but you said speed wasn't an issue for you anyway.

Definitely get the Bimini top. Other than that, go for it. Offer $5,000 less than the asking price. Clearly they want to move it as they have had it for 2 years. If you aren't comfortable doing that, offer full price but have them throw in all of the options you want (top, fish finder, GPS, trolling motor, etc).
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
July 23rd, 2019 at 9:04:21 PM permalink
petroglyph
Quote: Face
Might be all done with this, and I might be saying that in a good way for the first time in a long time. Found a holdover, 2017 I think but brand new. Lots to like but some serious things I'm not certain at all about. It's not entirely technical, so boat riders (not just owners) are welcome to respond.
I guess you have to ask yourself, why is this purdy boat still sitting here all this time, especially with that Yamaha on it? I mean everybody has money now, and more than that can get loans. Maybe, you just got lucky? Determine what it is, that you really want a boat for.

Quote:
I guess the biggest concern of all is that it's a sport console. Perhaps I'm overly sensitive, but I can easily think of several times a full / WT console has been used and would be desired - pretty much every time we go out to get out of the wind, about half the time we go out to get legs/feet out of the sun, a couple times a year to shelter from downpours and once to hide from lightning. As it's a holdover, there's not an option to order one (though I suppose it could be retrofitted in the future, at cost) and though I'm of the mind to not pay five figures unless I'm wholly satisfied, I also see it's, essentially, a $10,000 difference for just that detail. It is kinda nice to have the extra room, so it's not all bad, but I do like being secure. Can't figure out whether I should make this a case or if I'm being ridiculous.
Sometimes when I'm chatting with my kids, we reminisce about their early childhood and all the times I'd toss them up under the closed bow of our 16 ft. Larson boat, and they would make a bed out of the extra life jackets and type 4's while dad was fishing or navigating. Oh the days when we went fishing. sigh. I've had a couple open boats where it's the skipper's duty to face into every weather possible. And frankly, I'm done with it. I've had thought many a time, when the crew would turn their backs to the wind and rain, how would they like a turn at wheel watch? Not to bad when you can turn your back to it, and pull up your hoodie and hunker down. Hard to get them to even make eye contact, when the rain is dripping down your face, and you turn pink from shivering. Sometimes I'd swerve toward, and jump a wake, just to bounce them out of total preservation mode. : )

But you got the reverse going on here. I get,,,, protect the captain at any cost, but other than your absolute god given right to order the kid to come with you, [and make samich's] I'm betting on many a questionable day, most our friends and loved ones got better things to do, than face into the cold, wind, rain, and sometimes a little snow? I know you and me, first thing to do on a real snotty day, is jump in the first puddle you see and splash water up to about our armpits and get it over with. Like Brett Favre said about QBing, he was nervous until he got hit the first good hit every game, then it was alright. If I had to guess, I'd say that boat was some kind of tournament bass model, or guide boat?

Quote:
Another concern is actually a desire, I'm just concerned by my lack of familiarity with it. It has a NINETY NINE INCH BEAM. I could plop an army cot down widthwise and it'd fit with room to spare, it's absolutely massive. Suppose this is more a petro question, but will this be noticeable on the water? Waves more or less severe? Will it still drift side face to the wind if drifting unpowered? I def want it for the onboard comfort and usability, I just don't want any performance surprises and I've never seen a craft with anywhere near such a squat profile.
Beam is everything in a boat, and freeboard. Say you have a thirty footer bobbing around in the ocean. If you add two feet in length it doesn't really mean much, but add two feet of beam, now we are talking. It matters a great deal in stability.

Even the QE2 turns sideways in the trough without power. I know we talked width way back. I don't believe it's legal to tow anything wider than 8ft., without signs, etc. ? Not that it matters. And sure, a trailers a trailer, but look at the link I posted above about the Lund, see the trailer, notice anything different between that old trailer and this new one? Not that they salt your roads or anything.

Quote:
Some random stuff so you can judge intelligently... it's a 2017, unused, 17' 9". Comes with a YAMAHA 115 with 5 yr warranty. Hull has lifetime warranty. The floor is supposedly made out of some new type of treated wood, lifetime warranty for original owner. Warp, bow, sog, they'll replace it. Dude even said he did one this year he wouldn't have touched; full of water, rotten leaves, basically left outside its whole life - the manufacturer warranty'd it anyway. Dual livewells pre-installed with pump/aerator (10g up front, 21g in back). Prerigged battery charger (didn't see make), just plug an extension cord into the console and it gets both the crank and trolling cells. Tip of the bow has 12v outlet with battery bank gauge and (I thought it was neat) a trimmer switch. If you're up front and get into the shallow stuff, you can trim the big motor out of the mud with naught but a toe poke, don't even have to move. Storage is standard fishing (more rod holders than cup holders), I won't bore you with details on that. Trailer is whatever; single axle, loading guides, collapsible tongue... it's a trailer. And that's about it. As of now this package is sitting at $24,900.
Yes it has nice appointments, what with the Yammy and all, and the live well etc. Got to love that auto anchoring system. How deep of water do you intend to anchor in? Voltmeter and such is slick, for sure. And we all know how you are attracted to anything shiny. lol I think being wired for trolling motors on the bow anymore, is similar to saying a new car has a cigarette lighter though? Not dissing.

I couldn't help but notice the vessel behind this one in the top picture and see it had a walk through windshield. It's possible to ask the manufacturer before bringing this one home, if they could toss in another section of the front bulkhead/dashboard whatever? And of course you could always have a custom one built later on, but chances of that happening are nil.

http://diversitytomorrow.com/thread/57/10/#post5935 Scroll down thru that post, I like those gunnels. You were right about cupholders, might as well get the clamp on moveable ones because it doesn't look like there is anyplace to store anything on this boat. There doesn't appear to be a gear locker of any kind? Back in the days of my first Larson runabout, at least it had the old back to back vinyl seats where you could stow necessarys, and the flotation devices stayed up under the bow along with the kids.

Noticing the seat placement, this must have been designed to be in some bass tournament tv show? Even the starboard passenger can't hide behind the pilot for a windbreak. Each to their own though.

Quote:
Just for s#$%s and gigs (dude was an old timer, reminded me strikingly of my FiL) I spent time with the guy making out a package. I came all the way to the city, so let's just see. Instead of, as rxwine reminds, picking any old random garbage that'll work for now, I let the old timer dream and just followed his path. We went off brand with trolling, but premium in potential. We wound up with the 80#, 24V Presidente option, because why not get stupid with it? GPS with preplanned routes and auto execution? Yes, please. Ability to plot a route and be ferried along autonomously? Sure, why not? And how about just hitting a button and having an automatic motorized anchor? How about we do? When it comes to finding the fish, I need no more than the most basic of sonar. Maybe get a little more basic than an analog needle cuz it does keep the kids engaged, but none of that $2,500 Hunt for Red Oktober nonsense I see coming out of Lowrance these days. And hell, toss in a biminy because I'm sensitive, and do all the rigging, wiring, mounting and configuration along with a bank of deep cycles so it's rigged to MY max. What we got then?

Still <$30,000.

So... put on your dad hats and let me have it. And someone talk me into/out of this console
For sure, get it the way you want it, because it's going to be you doing it. Chances are, by the time this is paid for, junior will have wandered off with some friends or found girls something else teens like? But even when it was just me, I like to be all cozy. I've experienced enough wind and rain to last me.

How many bilge pumps that thing have? It doesn't look like you want a heck of a lot of spray coming over the bow, or god forbid a wave. Don't forget to take your all weather bailing device with you [bucket] Can you reach around and pull the plug on this thing when it's in the water, so you can get underway and suck the water out? Or is the plug one of those one way flow things?

"There is no more efficient bailing device, then a frightened man with a bucket" : ) Just rambling. I see now it has a bit of stowage.
July 24th, 2019 at 5:26:03 PM permalink
Face
Other than that, go for it.

So it is spoken, so it shall be done. This thread's about due for a proper revival.

Quote: petroglyph
I guess you have to ask yourself, why is this purdy boat still sitting here all this time, especially with that Yamaha on it? I mean everybody has money now, and more than that can get loans. Maybe, you just got lucky? Determine what it is, that you really want a boat for.

I reckon (and dude reckons) it's because of the console. I'm having a hard time even picturing a sport on the water. Of course, my area means the majority are either full on party barges meant only to hit clubs or full on walkaround walleye outfits meant only to nab 4 guy's limits, but... I dunno. Despite really wanting a WT, I'm having a hard time accepting my own complaint. Just look at this thread. How many trips in whiteout snowstorms or scaling canyons or hiking bear country or traipsing muggy swamps? It's just wind. Stop being a pussy =)

Especially because I have no concerns for others lol. Not being a dick, it's just "what others?" My boy? The dude who falls in in the first 30min of every salmon trip and 4hrs later still has not made a peep about it? I reckon with a biminy, a well tied bedsheet could just about solve all wind and sun issues. Sure works a treat on the sailboat...

Quote: petro
How many bilge pumps that thing have? It doesn't look like you want a heck of a lot of spray coming over the bow, or god forbid a wave. Don't forget to take your all weather bailing device with you [bucket] Can you reach around and pull the plug on this thing when it's in the water, so you can get underway and suck the water out? Or is the plug one of those one way flow things?

"There is no more efficient bailing device, then a frightened man with a bucket" : ) Just rambling. I see now it has a bit of stowage.

How many bilge pumps? How many it need? lol It has one. I don't even think my last tin boat had that. And you're right, I DON'T want spray, but beggars and choosing and all that. Fortunately I think we're talking passed each other again, because if Erie's putting waves over the bow, I wouldn't even leave the house let alone try to go to the lake. My spray concerns are purely comfort based, not safety. And though I ain't tried to pull the plug from inside, I did have to hop aboard a bucking dinghy doing 12kt in 30kt winds to untangle 120lb test from the prop. If I could manage that, pulling a plug will be cake. And why we even talking about this? It's new. F#$%ing better not have to worry about bilge pumps and plug pulls lol.

Pretty much a done deal now. I rung the dude and chatted a bit which sent me into SONAR and trolling research. Having been a few years since the last time my mind was blown, it got blown all over again. Even your basic SONAR has more option and potential than I could believe. I wound up picking a Lowrance HOOK 7, a higher tier model but with reduced options (I ditched the GPS / side view / bottom tracing, but kept the contour mapping). For the trolling I went balls out. Gimme the works. Plot, map, record and reroute, instant anchor, Bluetooth, the lot. Minn Kota Terrova w/iPilot, 70# thrust, 24V. Toss in a couple deep cycles to power it, and don't forget the biminy. With all the additions, the labor to install, prep and freight, reg and title, inspect and sticker, and of course NYS's cut, my out-the-door final tab came in at $30,XXX.

Orders went out today, prep starts tomorrow. Should have it in ~a week.

Who wants to go fishing? =D
July 24th, 2019 at 7:22:59 PM permalink
petroglyph
Nobody heads out in lousy weather, it just happens.

Similar to, when I rode bikes, I never left the house when drinking.