Original Sin?

August 12th, 2016 at 7:09:13 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
It's not odd at all if you think about it.

I was being ironic, there is no god.

Quote:
I don't see this as a great mystery.

You're correct, there's no god so there's
no mystery.

Quote:
It is a mystery but it was not invented to confuse the congregation.

You only use something you can't explain, that
makes no sense, when you try and fool somebody.
You act like you know what it means, and they
can't possibly know, and it gives you the edge.
You already did it a while ago today, you tried
to explain it like you understand it, and you
don't understand it any better than I do.
It's a trick that sometimes works.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 12th, 2016 at 9:33:04 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Evenbob

You only use something you can't explain, that
makes no sense, when you try and fool somebody.

Is that my organic chemistry professor was doing?!?

Quote:
You act like you know what it means, and they
can't possibly know, and it gives you the edge.
You already did it a while ago today, you tried
to explain it like you understand it, and you
don't understand it any better than I do.
It's a trick that sometimes works.

I do understand it a little bit. I imagine you do as well if you really think about it. I think everyone that is part of a loving family probably gets it and understands a little bit about the Trinity.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
August 12th, 2016 at 9:50:20 PM permalink
Evenbob
I do understand it a little bit. I imagine you do as well if you really think about it.

I honestly do not, the more I think about
it, the less sense it makes. It's something
that's craftily designed to sound good,
but has no meaning at all.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 13th, 2016 at 6:12:57 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
They are three distinct persons all equally God. How they become one is in the complete gift of self to each other.

Agreed. It makes no logical sense whatsoever.

Quote:
He became incarnate in the womb of Mary and took on humanity and this humanity continues now for all eternity.

So many humans resurrect and travel up to some non-existent ethereal plane, it's hard to keep track.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
August 13th, 2016 at 6:14:54 AM permalink
Nareed
It is a mystery, God is totally other and we cannot completely understand Him, especially in His inmost nature.

Why don't you just say Ignorance Is Strength and be done?
August 13th, 2016 at 6:23:01 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3

Perhaps, if it didn't make sense to you. But it makes sense to someone.

When it makes sense to no one, that is when you label it as one of god's mysteries.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
August 13th, 2016 at 9:25:49 AM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Dalex64
Perhaps, if it didn't make sense to you. But it makes sense to someone.

When it makes sense to no one, that is when you label it as one of god's mysteries.

Oh, believe me it makes sense to me and everyone who really thinks about it. The basics are not a hard concept nor is the reason why this understanding of Trinity is so important in understanding the nature of God as love and community. You can't very well be love itself if you are by your lonesome, can you? Now no one understands the Trinity completely, that is true, but I doubt anyone really completely understands organic chemistry either.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
August 13th, 2016 at 9:44:47 AM permalink
Nareed

Organic chemistry is not particularly difficult, just incredibly boring. I failed it in high school because literally I had trouble not falling asleep in class (the teachers' monotone way of droning didn't help, either). I wrangled a makeup exam, though, and after five days tutoring with a classmate, I passed it with a B+.
August 13th, 2016 at 11:25:41 AM permalink
Evenbob
Oh, believe me it makes sense to me and everyone who really thinks about it.

Explain it then. I can't find an explanation
anywhere that makes sense.
August 13th, 2016 at 8:23:16 PM permalink
FrGamble
The first thing is to remember that God is Love. Therefore it makes sense that in His essence He is not singular but plural. Love is giving yourself away and serving another. It is pouring yourself out to another. Since it is clear that the universe has not been here forever because it does not have its reason for existing in itself and is therefore contingent or dependent of something else, this being the non-contingent being we call God, then before the universe and all time, energy, and space were created God was still love in Himself. This also helps us to see how we are made in the image and likeness of God. We are made for love and give ourselves to others. Our true happiness is never found in just loving ourselves, but in going out of ourselves to love another.

Another image that one of the saints mentioned that I always found helpful is the image of thought, word, and breath. For an idea to be expressed you need the thought (God the Father), the word (Jesus the Son), and the breath (The Holy Spirit). All three are the same thing the breath gives rise to the word, which expresses the thought. They are three different things but really the same thing as well.