Threads: 67
Quote: Evenbob
You're great at making blanket statements
like this with nothing to back it up. You always
say 'The evidence that Jesus rose from the
dead is has overwhelming historical evidence."
But you never produce any, so it's hard to take
you seriously.

I guess I should do the work and provide the links and such. I wish I had the time to do it. I'm sure you could as well.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
August 20th, 2016 at 6:32:02 PM permalink
FrGamble
A god that demands worship, as yours does,
is obviously not a god.

Do you plan on just ignoring my posts and repeating this drivel. God deserves our worship but it cannot add anything to His greatness. Maybe you don't understand all-powerful, all-knowing, and perfect. The other thing that is very clear and I have given you many examples of it; God in every circumstance would rather you treat your fellow human being with kindness and dignity then worship Him.

Quote:
He's a fanciful faux
deity constructed from human faults and
emotions.

I had to laugh that this comes from a professed hedonist who does whatever he wants and makes his meaning of his life up by himself. That is the definition of a faux diety and thou name is Evenbob.

Quote:
If you could hear what your god sounds
like to an atheist who wasn't raised in a religion,
you would be astounded at how lame he
sounds.

It could not nearly sound close to as lame and crazy as the notion of believing there is no God with no logic, no reason, and no evidence. Not to mention atheism as you say is nothing and does nothing to help you live a moral and good life. Talk about lame, come on.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
August 20th, 2016 at 6:34:15 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Dalex64

The majority of the people and the majority of the events, there is no archeogical evidence.

I don't think this is true.

Quote:
I already mentioned how scholars don't think Moses was real or the stories about what Moses did

I have heard this before and read very good articles about it. I have also read many good articles supporting the existence of Moses and the reality of an Exodus event without the numbers spoken of in the Bible.

More examples, quotes from Wikipedia, references available there:
Quote:

Professor Finkelstein told the Jerusalem Post that Jewish archaeologists have found no historical or archaeological evidence to back the biblical narrative on the Exodus, the Jews' wandering in Sinai or Joshua's conquest of Canaan.

On the alleged Temple of Solomon, Finkelstein said that there is no archaeological evidence to prove it really existed.[33] Professor Yoni Mizrahi, an independent archaeologist, agreed with Israel Finkelstein.

Wow, this is the first time I have ever heard anyone deny the existence of the Temple of Solomon. Do you really believe that?
August 20th, 2016 at 7:11:00 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
It is explained like this:

Quote:
Because of the religious sensitivities involved, and the politically volatile situation in Jerusalem, only limited archaeological surveys of the Temple Mount have been conducted. No archaeological excavations have been allowed on the Temple Mount during modern times. Therefore, there is no archaeological evidence for the existence of Solomon's Temple.

See how their conclusion is not "because there is no evidence that the temple of Solomon does not exist, therefore it does unless proven other wise"

You are telling me that because no evidence exists disproving a smaller exodus, that must be what happened.

No archeogical evidence. I don't think they are saying that they don't believe that exists. They are saying that there is no archeogical evidence that it does. Fortunately, unlike with some other things, we know where to look for the evidence, maybe someday someone will. At that time, the evidence, or lack of evidence, can be evaluated and some conclusions can be drawn from that.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
August 20th, 2016 at 7:28:28 PM permalink
Dalex64
Moses - evidence that he did not write the Torah.

http://www.mesacc.edu/~thoqh49081/handouts/torahclues.html

http://www.awitness.org/contrabib/torah/moses.html

http://www.biblicalnonsense.com/chapter12.html

I think the argument against him being real is based on the lack of archeogical evidence. The Bible is the only place his name appears. Other historical figures of the time have their name appear in the records. With all of the things he supposedly did, it is reasonable to expect that something would have been documented, outside of the Bible.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
August 20th, 2016 at 7:44:16 PM permalink
Dalex64
Quote: FrGamble
I don't think this is true

Thank you for your opinion. Would you care to back it up with a little research?

Quote:
By the end of the 19th century the scholarly consensus was that the Pentateuch was the work of many authors writing from 1000 BCE (the time of David) to 500 BCE (the time of Ezra) and redacted c. 450, and as a consequence whatever history it contained was more often polemical than strictly factual – a conclusion reinforced by the then fresh scientific refutations of what were at the time widely classed as biblical mythologies, as discussed above.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historicity_of_the_Bible

These conclusions were reached in the 1600's and 1700's - it is hardly new, and frankly I am a little surprised. These ideas and the evidence are nothing new, I think they are difficult to refute, and I am amazed that people deny it.
August 20th, 2016 at 8:27:48 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I guess I should do the work and provide the links and such. I wish I had the time to do it. I'm sure you could as well.

I have, many times, and you just laugh
and say it's amazing I can find so much
false information. Yet you never have
any of your own, just the Church's
opinion. Which of course is worthless.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 20th, 2016 at 8:35:26 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Maybe you don't understand all-powerful, all-knowing, and perfect.

Perfection, by it's very nature, would repel
worship and praise. It would be repugnant
to such an entity.

I had to laugh that this comes from a professed hedonist who does whatever he wants and makes his meaning of his life up by himself. That is the definition of a faux diety and thou name is Evenbob.

Atheists don't worship themselves, what would
be the point. It really grates on you we do what
we want, doesn't it. You just can't stand that you
locked yourself in a cage and won't be happy
till everybody is locked in there with you.

Quote:
atheism as you say is nothing and does nothing to help you live a moral and good life.

We do that with common sense and logic.
No god needed.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 20th, 2016 at 9:35:50 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Dalex64

These conclusions were reached in the 1600's and 1700's - it is hardly new, and frankly I am a little surprised. These ideas and the evidence are nothing new, I think they are difficult to refute, and I am amazed that people deny it.

I think you think that modern scholarship recognizes Moses as the sole author of the Pentateuch. I can assure you that this is not the case.
August 20th, 2016 at 9:39:23 PM permalink
FrGamble
Perfection, by it's very nature, would repel
worship and praise. It would be repugnant
to such an entity.

Why do you say this? Wouldn't we want to admire and worship perfection?

Quote:
Atheists don't worship themselves, what would
be the point. It really grates on you we do what
we want, doesn't it. You just can't stand that you
locked yourself in a cage and won't be happy
till everybody is locked in there with you.

Why do you think that you are not locked in the cage when it is you who are in it looking out. Of course you worship yourself. You create meaning for yourself you do whatever you want as long as it is pleasing and pleasurable to you. That means that you have put yourself in the place of the Almighty God. I like you, but don't forget how puny and fallible you are.

Quote:
We do that with common sense and logic.
No god needed.

No, you need a moral law and one that is objective. Using just your common sense and logic with a subjective viewpoint based on yourself is one of the most dangerous and ugly ways to live life.