Original Sin?

January 6th, 2015 at 9:59:44 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Evenbob

"Twenty years ago I made the same choice (atheism). I withdrew from a Christian Seminary and walked into a world that I didn't really know. I have since found that reality is a far more loving, ethical, and equal playing field than that of Christendom or any other religion-bound scenario of life."

"Some seem to expect there would the communities of Atheists. Those folks are just giving belief in a god way too much emphasis, and they think that everyone's life revolves around god yes vs god no. There are no more Atheist social groups as there are Easter Bunny deniers, or folks who believe pigs don't fly."

LOL! That's what I said, we don't spend any
time with god yes or god no, it's a non issue.
Atheists don't need to hang out together,
what would we discuss. We have one thing in
common, a non belief? Not exactly a conversation
starter.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 7th, 2015 at 7:50:55 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
I think it is strange (and sad) that on such an important decision as to if there is a God or not people don't spend a lot more time talking about it and discussing it. Really no matter what side you come down on it would make sense to discuss and think a lot about it. Maybe atheists don't want to hang out and discuss it too much because the more you think about it the more you would be led to believe in God =)
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
January 7th, 2015 at 8:02:52 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: FrGamble
Really no matter what side you come down on it would make sense to discuss and think a lot about it. Maybe atheists don't want to hang out and discuss it too much because the more you think about it the more you would be led to believe in God =)

That's a great Sheldon Cooper you've just pulled off.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
January 7th, 2015 at 10:32:14 AM permalink
Evenbob
Maybe atheists don't want to hang out and discuss it too much because the more you think about it the more you would be led to believe in God =)

Nope, that's not it. You don't
believe in the Easter Bunny, why
don't you spend time with others
that have that belief and discuss it.

Because you absolutely believe there
isn't one, that's why. There is no doubt.
That's how atheists feel, what's too discuss.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 7th, 2015 at 2:24:57 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Evenbob
Nope, that's not it. You don't
believe in the Easter Bunny, why
don't you spend time with others
that have that belief and discuss it.

Because you absolutely believe there
isn't one, that's why. There is no doubt.
That's how atheists feel, what's too discuss.

In fact, I go years without thinking about it.
After these discussions are over, I'll go years
again. Waste of time.
January 7th, 2015 at 6:18:27 PM permalink
FrGamble
Let me rephrase; it would be strange not to talk seriously and often about how we believe we came to be, how the universe was created, what will happen after I die, does my life have purpose or meaning or not, and how should I live my life. All of these things are discussed when talking about God's existence or lack thereof, none of these are talked about when mentioning the Easter Bunny.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
January 7th, 2015 at 9:57:03 PM permalink
Evenbob
Let me rephrase; it would be strange not to talk seriously and often about how we believe we came to be, how the universe was created, what will happen after I die, does my life have purpose or meaning or not, and how should I live my life.

Those are things we deal with in our
20's. If you're still asking those
questions in your 40's, you didn't
perform the due diligence when you
were younger.
January 7th, 2015 at 10:21:25 PM permalink
FrGamble
I don't know it seems more like a lifelong quest to me, something that important always should be open to new insights and understandings. It seems kind of lazy to me to stop asking those type of questions in your 40s. I wish I was asking those type of questions in the 20s.
January 8th, 2015 at 12:18:00 AM permalink
Evenbob
something that important always should be open to new insights.

It's only important because you think it
is. No one thing is more important than
any other one thing. You are the one
that makes it so. You create your own
reality, how else. If you really think about
that, you know it's true.
January 8th, 2015 at 6:49:38 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Let me rephrase; it would be strange not to talk seriously and often about how we believe we came to be, how the universe was created, what will happen after I die, does my life have purpose or meaning or not, and how should I live my life. All of these things are discussed when talking about God's existence or lack thereof, none of these are talked about when mentioning the Easter Bunny.

It's fact that the universe exists and it has evolved. Perhaps it originated some time ago, perhaps it has always existed. All this is true whether there is a god or not.

Likewise the purpose in life is quite independent of any deities that might exist. Your life is yours, regardless of how it came to be.

What happens after I die is the world will do its poor best to carry on without me, hard as that may be ;)
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER