Original Sin?

February 23rd, 2015 at 6:47:17 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: FrGamble
These other "gods" are still around and alive as ever. They are competition to the one true God. They go by different names today: money, sex, power, fame, health, etc.

I don't recall any Greco-Roman deities for such matters.

If you'd said "luck," you'd have been right. The Goddess Fortuna even rates mention in Roman histories.

For that matter, I don't think people worship money, sex, power, fame or health. I've yet to see or hear about someone erect a shrine to the Euro or the Pound Sterling, for instance. There was the Mel Brooks silent movie (it's called "Silent Movie" really), but that was a joke.

As to health, I hear there's a place called Lourdes...
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
February 23rd, 2015 at 10:57:02 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
I wish I could love my dear Lord with the passion and outward expression of the die-hard NFL fan. Look around you, people worship money, sex, power, etc. all the time. The shrines are located in their minds and hearts.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
February 23rd, 2015 at 12:28:48 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Look around you, people worship money, sex, power, etc. all the time. The shrines are located in their minds and hearts.

So now those aren't the deadly sins,
they're gods that are worshiped?
Is that the Churches position on it,
I never heard that money was a god.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 23rd, 2015 at 1:10:20 PM permalink
Nareed
I wish I could love my dear Lord with the passion and outward expression of the die-hard NFL fan. Look around you, people worship money, sex, power, etc. all the time. The shrines are located in their minds and hearts.

I'm normally a quiet, non-demonstrative, introverted woman. Yet when playing craps or VP, I will spontaneously cheer a good result (kind of quietly, but it's a big departure for me).

Does this mean I worship dice, or VP machines, or just the money I win?

There are indeed a few NFL fans who are overzealous in their passions. I don't know that I'd call this worship. For the majority of the fans, though, it's not worship, merely a joyful expression of support for their team.
February 23rd, 2015 at 5:19:22 PM permalink
FrGamble
I heard someone once say that what you think about in the morning and what you go to bed with on your mind is what you worship. I don't know about that, but I really like this prayer from Fr. Pedro Arrupe, S.J. about what we love decides everything. Worship in Latin is adorare or adore, so it is connected to love.

Quote: Fr. Arrupe
Nothing is more practical than finding God, than falling in Love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you do with your evenings, how you spend your weekends, what you read, whom you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in Love, stay in love, and it will decide everything.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
February 23rd, 2015 at 5:30:22 PM permalink
Evenbob
Nothing is more practical than finding God, than falling in Love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you do with your evenings, how you spend your weekends, what you read, whom you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in Love, stay in love, and it will decide everything..

What does god have to do with any of that.
You can fall in love and have all of that without
god being involved. Happens every day. I don't
see the connection to a god.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 23rd, 2015 at 5:53:46 PM permalink
Nareed
I heard someone once say that what you think about in the morning and what you go to bed with on your mind is what you worship.

In that case I worship "KILL THAT EFFING ALARM!!!" in the mornings. At night it would be stories (either ones I'm working on or ones I'll never work on) and on occasion some sexual fantasies.

I just don't recall worshipping any of that.
February 25th, 2015 at 4:49:05 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Evenbob
What does god have to do with any of that.
You can fall in love and have all of that without
god being involved. Happens every day. I don't
see the connection to a god.

Just that what you adore and what you love is a small step away from what you worship and therefore your god(s).
February 25th, 2015 at 5:32:51 PM permalink
Evenbob
Just that what you adore and what you love is a small step away from what you worship and therefore your god(s).

God is not possible to love, he's not
lovable. He has no lovable traits.
February 25th, 2015 at 5:52:02 PM permalink
FrGamble
You do not know God.