If Alaska voted to join Canada

Page 4 of 4<1234
January 30th, 2023 at 3:44:57 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: terapined
If that's true
Why would Denmark sell ?

Money. What I was reading put the estimated selling price around $1.1 trillion. i believe they said Denmark's national debt is around $600 billion. They could pay off their debt and still have lots of money. Also, they do not have the money, resources, or people to excavate it themselves.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
January 30th, 2023 at 5:31:20 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: DRich
Money. What I was reading put the estimated selling price around $1.1 trillion. i believe they said Denmark's national debt is around $600 billion. They could pay off their debt and still have lots of money. Also, they do not have the money, resources, or people to excavate it themselves.

They could lease it
I wouldn't sell if I was Denmark
You never know what the future might bring
If what you say is true, people will pay good money to work that land.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 31st, 2023 at 5:22:24 AM permalink
DRich
They could lease it
I wouldn't sell if I was Denmark
You never know what the future might bring
If what you say is true, people will pay good money to work that land.

I agree. I was surprised to see that the population of Greenland which is about the size of 1/3 of the U.S. has a total population of 56,000 people. In other words, a typical football game in the U.S. has more people than the entire country of Greenland.
January 31st, 2023 at 5:33:33 AM permalink
DoubleGold
Threads: 30
I was thinking the opposite for Alaska.

Sell Alaska to pay-off the public debt.

However, Congress would likely run the debt back up if the public debt was paid-off.

Plus, the only entity that could afford it is whomever is behind the banking cartel.

So if we did something like that so we didn't default, I'd say disband the central bank at the same time.
January 31st, 2023 at 2:32:44 PM permalink
DRich
Quote: DoubleGold
I was thinking the opposite for Alaska.

Sell Alaska to pay-off the public debt.

However, Congress would likely run the debt back up if the public debt was paid-off.

Plus, the only entity that could afford it is whomever is behind the banking cartel.

So if we did something like that so we didn't default, I'd say disband the central bank at the same time.

I would hope we wouldn't sell Alaska as it is pretty vital for the defense of the USA.
January 31st, 2023 at 2:40:16 PM permalink
DoubleGold
Threads: 30
Quote: DRich
I would hope we wouldn't sell Alaska as it is pretty vital for the defense of the USA.

I agree.

It might not be an option if we get cut-off.
March 6th, 2023 at 1:04:51 AM permalink
terapined
Iditarod starts today. I found this article that's a really good read. It recounts the infamous attack on the race 8 years ago. I had no idea Alaska was so crime ridden. It's really bad and very underreported. Alcohol seems to be a major problem. I had no idea that Alaska has some of the highest crime rates in the country.
https://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-adventure/exploration-survival/fear-and-loathing-iditarod-trail/
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 6th, 2023 at 5:25:16 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Iditarod starts today. I found this article that's a really good read. It recounts the infamous attack on the race 8 years ago. I had no idea Alaska was so crime ridden. It's really bad and very underreported. Alcohol seems to be a major problem. I had no idea that Alaska has some of the highest crime rates in the country.
https://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-adventure/exploration-survival/fear-and-loathing-iditarod-trail/

I just booked my first ever Alaska cruise for this August. lol
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
March 6th, 2023 at 7:47:34 AM permalink
terapined
Quote: ams288
I just booked my first ever Alaska cruise for this August. lol

You will be fine
You are hitting the tourist areas
Most of Alaska is rural without tourists and that's where it's crime infested.
Fascinating that a red state is so crime ridden
Page 4 of 4<1234