Spanish Word of the Day

August 9th, 2014 at 7:56:16 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Fecha: 9-8-14
Palabra: Lucro

Today's SWD means profit.

The assignment for the advanced readers is to confirm or deny a common etymology with the English word lucrative.

Ejemplo

Mitt Romney hizo un lucro enorme en su negocio. = Mitt Romney made an enormous profit in his business.

Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
August 9th, 2014 at 1:10:39 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Wizard
Today's SWD means profit.
The assignment for the advanced readers is to confirm or deny a common etymology with the English word lucrative.

Yes, they are from the same Latin word. As always it was absorbed into English in the 1400's from Old French.

The phrase "αισχρών κέρδος" or "aischron kerdos" in the New Testament was translated by early English biblical scholars as filthy lucre (Tit. i:11). So like the word "covet" the word "lucre" acquired a negative connotation from it's use in the bible. The word "profit" is somewhat neutral in meaning in English.

I am not sure where the word stands in Spanish. Many of the images from googling are negative, but some are neutral.

This image looks like it's talking about gain after inflation or devaluation.
August 9th, 2014 at 3:15:23 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Pacomartin
The phrase "αισχρών κέρδος" or "aischron kerdos" in the New Testament was translated by early English biblical scholars as filthy lucre

This is a theme you've touched on before, words the bible killed. However, I wonder if helped to promote others. Maybe a bad example, but you never heard the word "tithe" outside of religious contexts (I hear it is found in Islam as well), and me begging for donations.
August 9th, 2014 at 5:46:17 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Fecha: 10-8-14
Palabra: Anzuelo

Today's SWD means fishhook/bait/lure.

I find it strange there are not separate words for fishhook and bait.

There doesn't seem to be a verb form of "to bait," as there is in English.

Ejemplo time.

Si quieres atrapar un pez, necesitas poner anzuelo en el anzuelo. = If you want to catch a fish, you have to bait the hook.

August 9th, 2014 at 7:45:24 PM permalink
Pacomartin
This is a theme you've touched on before, words the bible killed. However, I wonder if helped to promote others. Maybe a bad example, but you never heard the word "tithe" outside of religious contexts (I hear it is found in Islam as well), and me begging for donations.

I didn't mean "kill". I meant that the single connotation gets enshrined. The word "covet" was also used in the positive sense in the bible translation, but the ten commandments are better known.

The word appeasement has been in the English language for over 5 centuries from Middle French apeisement, Old French apaisement "appeasement, calming," noun of action from "apaisier" . When Chamberlain formally described policy toward Germany in 1939 as methods of appeasement the verb is now only be used in a negative sense.

Ecclesiastical use tends to retain old versions of words. The word "tithe" has largely been replaced by "tenth" in ordinary speech, but has been retained in church.
August 9th, 2014 at 8:04:54 PM permalink
Pacomartin

The DRAE says that the word means "hook", but it is colloquially also used for "bait". The word "cebar" means "to bait".

Si quieres atrapar un pez, hay que cebar el anzuelo.
August 10th, 2014 at 3:50:58 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346

It only means hook.

Quote:

Hook = anzuelo
Bait = carnada
Lure = señuelo
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
August 10th, 2014 at 7:24:39 AM permalink
Pacomartin

bait (n) = carnada
to bait (n) = cebar
August 10th, 2014 at 8:03:43 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin

bait (n) = carnada
to bait (n) = cebar

I'll take your word for it.

The exact number of Mexicans or other Spanish speaker I know who fish is zero.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
August 10th, 2014 at 10:07:11 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Nareed
The exact number of Mexicans or other Spanish speaker I know who fish is zero.

You should hang out on the Seal Beach or Goleta piers. Although both areas are predominately white, about 75% of the fisherman appear to be of Mexican ancestry.