August 10th, 2014 at 6:00:06 PM permalink
jpmurga
Threads: 0
Quote: Nareed
It only means hook.

Hook = anzuelo
Bait = carnada
Lure = señuelo

Hello all, I am new to the site, and I am a native spanish speaker, Nareed is right, I don't know where Wizard got that Anzuelo means the three it only meand fishhook here is a link to RAE (Official Spansih dictionary) (http://buscon.rae.es/drae/srv/search?val=anzuelo)
Another use for this word is (3) which does mean bait/lure but in non-fishing therms

Fell on the trap can be stated "Caer en el anzuelo"
August 10th, 2014 at 6:49:43 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: jpmurga
Hello all, I am new to the site, and I am a native spanish speaker, Nareed is right, I don't know where Wizard got that Anzuelo means the three it only meand fishhook here is a link to RAE (Official Spansih dictionary) (http://buscon.rae.es/drae/srv/search?val=anzuelo)
Another use for this word is (3) which does mean bait/lure but in non-fishing therms

Welcome to the Spanish Word of the Day! Nothing against the regulars, but it is nice to have some fresh blood.

Nareed hates it when I mention this source, but I got the three meanings of anzuelo from SpanishDict.com.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
August 10th, 2014 at 7:30:57 PM permalink
jpmurga
Quote: Wizard
Welcome to the Spanish Word of the Day! Nothing against the regulars, but it is nice to have some fresh blood.

Nareed hates it when I mention this source, but I got the three meanings of anzuelo from SpanishDict.com.

Actually site is correct "bait" and "lure" are used in non-fishing terms it says so in the page
August 10th, 2014 at 7:59:00 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Actually site is correct "bait" and "lure" are used in non-fishing terms it says so in the page

You evidently read it more carefully than I did. Also, where I found the word seemed to refer to fishhooks.
August 10th, 2014 at 10:02:10 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Fecha: 11-8-14
Palabra: Pepenar

Today's SWD means to pick up, search through, choose, or poke around. Related words are pepenador, which means scavenger, and pepenado, which means orphan. I wonder if the latter words is supposed to convey that orphans tend to be scavengers. I'd be offended at the stereotype if I were an orphan.

The assignment for the advanced reader is to confirm or deny a common etymology with the English pepper, or Spanish pepino (cucumber).

Ejemplo time.

Sheldon pepenó en el pozo de balónes. = Sheldon rummaged through the ball pit.

August 11th, 2014 at 7:30:23 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Hello all, I am new to the site, and I am a native spanish speaker,

Welcome!

Now the Wizard has someone else to annoy ;)

And I can take a break.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
August 11th, 2014 at 10:26:50 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
The assignment for the advanced reader is to confirm or deny a common etymology with the English pepper, or Spanish pepino (cucumber).

No etymologic connection.

The ancient Greek πέπων (pépōn) spawned Latin pepo and Spanish pepino and English pumpkin.

Pepenar is from an Aztec word.
August 11th, 2014 at 10:31:18 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
I was looking at some lyrics

Siempre vuelve el amor
Siempre espera el amor
En el fondo de todas las cosas
Siempre amor

Here is my stab at a translation, but I would appreciate some help from a native speaker (or the Wizard)

Always return to love
Always hope for love
At the bottom of everything
Always love
August 11th, 2014 at 11:26:54 AM permalink
jpmurga

I am a bit surprised where did , pepenar is actually a very localized word only spoken in Mexico and Central America ( Where I am from) A Colombian, Spaniard or Argentian wouldn't even know the word.
Its actually from náhuatl.
It does mean pick up/choose and in Mexico is used mainly as a synonym for rummage/scavange, most commonly so the Wizard's example is a very good use of the mexican meaning
However In here (Guatemala) its mostly used as an slang word for "stealing" or "killing" specially amongst the working class

So for me

Sheldon pepenó en el pozo de balónes. = Sheldon stole some balls from the ball pit

We also have a popular saying using this word "Unos con la penas, otros con la pepena"

This is when people take advantage of other peoples tragedies/problems.

Like selling water/canned goods at a high price after a natural disaster
August 11th, 2014 at 11:28:36 AM permalink
jpmurga
Quote: Pacomartin
I was looking at some lyrics

Siempre vuelve el amor
Siempre espera el amor
En el fondo de todas las cosas
Siempre amor

My translation would be

Love always comes back