Spanish Word of the Day

August 11th, 2014 at 12:10:53 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: jpmurga

However In here (Guatemala) its mostly used as an slang word for "stealing" or "killing" specially amongst the working class

LEÓN.- Y que la poli-tira municipal se pepenó a cuatro morros quienes portaban un par de pistolones, mis chavos, allá por el bulevard Mariano Escobedo, en la mera calle Palma de Mallorca, ayer al medio día.

This website seems to use a lot of casual Spanish. It is presumably Mexican (not Central American). I assume the verb "pepenó" means "to grab". Google translate renders "cuatro morros" as "four noses", but presumably the word means "brown skinned people". I am not sure exactly what "mis chavos" means.
August 11th, 2014 at 12:17:03 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: jpmurga
I am a bit surprised where did , pepenar is actually a very localized word only spoken in Mexico and Central America

In Mexico it applies almost(*) entirely to people who scavenge through garbage dumps for recyclables and valuables.

(*) token almost.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
August 12th, 2014 at 9:19:00 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Pacomartin
I was looking at some lyrics

Siempre vuelve el amor
Siempre espera el amor
En el fondo de todas las cosas
Siempre amor

Reminds me of I Corinthians, chapter 13: 4-7. I've seen this passage recited at lots of weddings. In the movie Wedding Crashers the wedding crashers made a prop bet on whether that passage would be recited.

4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.
5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.
6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
August 12th, 2014 at 9:30:42 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Fecha: 12-8-14
Palabra: alcance

Today's SWD means reach/scope/range. A related word is alcanzar, which is a verb meaning to reach/achieve.

The assignment for the advanced readers is to confirm or deny a common etymology with the English word alcove. Perhaps an alcove is a place it little out of easy reach.

Ejemplo time.

A los náufragos, rescate parecían afuera de sus alcance. = To the castaways, rescue seemed out of their reach.

August 12th, 2014 at 11:57:43 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Wizard
Fecha: 12-8-14
Palabra: alcance

Today's SWD means reach/scope/range. A related word is alcanzar, which is a verb meaning to reach/achieve.

The assignment for the advanced readers is to confirm or deny a common etymology with the English word alcove. Perhaps an alcove is a place it little out of easy reach.

English alcove and Spanish alcoba come from Arabic القبّة (al-qubba) ‘dome, cupola’.

Surprisingly the verb alcanzar is more closely related to English calcium. Calcium was isolated from "calx" or limestone which was used to mark a finish line.

Googling "alcance" turns up hundreds of images, so the word seems to be very popular in a formal business description or community group. It doesn't show up in a lot of casual uses. My guess is that Nareed would call it a hundred dollar word.
August 12th, 2014 at 12:51:20 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Googling "alcance" turns up hundreds of images, so the word seems to be very popular in a formal business description or community group. It doesn't show up in a lot of casual uses. My guess is that Nareed would call it a hundred dollar word.

I found the word in the Spanish edition of People magazine in an advertorial for beauty products from around the world. The slogan was El mundo a tu alcance.

For a minute I thought that was Tony's slogan in Scarface and was looking forward to making an ejemplo out of it, but found his actual slogan was "The world is yours."
August 12th, 2014 at 4:03:32 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
My guess is that Nareed would call it a hundred dollar word.

Actually it's a common word. I wouldn't call it much more than a nickel word.

But I'm still taking a break.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
August 12th, 2014 at 6:08:31 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Fecha: 13-8-14
Palabra: Danzar

Today's SWD means to dance.

You can probably guess the assignment for the advanced readers -- compare and contrast danzar y bailar.

Ejemplo time.

Tal vez eres un amante pero no eres un danzanista. = Well you may be a lover but you ain't no dancer.

Extra credit if you can name the source.
August 12th, 2014 at 6:51:32 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Wizard
You can probably guess the assignment for the advanced readers -- compare and contrast danzar y bailar.

"Danzar" is borrowed from the French, and the other "bailar" has roots back to ancient Greek.

Old French, dancier | modern French: danser (borrowed forms below)
English: dance
Spanish: danzar
German: tanzen

I have no idea if there is a subtle difference in meaning. My guess is there is a tendency to use danzar for more movement by a trained dancer, and bailar for everyday dancing, but the verbs are still interchangeable.

August 12th, 2014 at 7:11:37 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
I have no idea if there is a subtle difference in meaning. My guess is you use danzar for more movement by a trained dancer, and bailar for everyday dancing.

In the context I found danzar, it referred to whales dancing.