Remember When

June 24th, 2014 at 10:16:48 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: rxwine
I can still remember the goo when stripping a Polaroid and watching the picture develop.

Also, what were the square rotating flash bulbs that you snapped on the camera?.

The ol Kodak Instamatic with the flashcubes. Half
the pics from the 60's are from those. A cheap
dependable camera, everybody had one.

The other half were taken with Polaroid Swingers.
I took my first naked pic of a girl with a Swinger.

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 25th, 2014 at 6:16:43 AM permalink
boymimbo
Threads: 5
I bought my first digital (Sony) in 2005. Certainly, it's alot more convenient than having to take your photos to a developer. I remember the one hour photo shacks. You would pay something like $.40 a photo for development, maybe 1/2 that price at the local Walmart.

Of course, when you took a good picture with an SLR or point-and-shoot, it killed the quality of early digitals. Now, with digitals sporting 8 MP and equivalent lenses, you can render a 300x300 8x10.

I had a polaroid up until 1986 or so, but then bought a decent SLR (Canon) for my trip to the West Coast in 1991, which I still have and use from time-to-time.
June 25th, 2014 at 6:18:40 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
"Be kind. Rewind" XD
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
June 25th, 2014 at 6:47:42 AM permalink
zippyboy
Threads: 2
Quote: boymimbo
Now, with digitals sporting 8 MP and equivalent lenses, you can render a 300x300 8x10.

8 mp? no man, they have 24 mp now for less than $600.

June 25th, 2014 at 7:07:55 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135

I had a polaroid up until 1986 or so, but then bought a decent SLR (Canon) for my trip to the West Coast in 1991, which I still have and use from time-to-time.

I always kept a Polaroid in my office until 2002 for damage claims and to take pics for complicated bids. Had I stayed on within a year I surely would have had to buy a digital. The quality was not good, but you often needed the instant photo in your hand. Ironically I could not take it to my biggest bid customer when they needed bird abatement work done. They had a "no photography" policy as many industrial places did, but I actually had to tell one of my bosses:

"There is no way I can take a Polaroid camera into Kodak to take pictures assuming they let us take any!"
The President is a fink.
June 25th, 2014 at 7:50:24 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
I bought my first digital (Sony) in 2005.

My brother briefly had one in 1997 or so (really). Back then they were advertised as being VGA-quality (really). We were going to use it for business. Back, then, though, you had to upload the shots to the PC with a serial cable (really) and print them on your own. Photo quality paper wasn't really available for printers, nor was our inkjet color printer (really, we had them in the last century) up to the task. So after a few days he returned it to Office Depot.

BTW it was an Epson camera.

Quote:
Certainly, it's alot more convenient than having to take your photos to a developer.

Many poeple still do, though of course printing them takes only a few minutes.

Quote:
I remember the one hour photo shacks.

In the late 70s 24 hour development and printing was all the rage (or so I'm told). Legend has it a popular spot in Acapulco collected film rolls until 7 PM, whereupon a driver took them in his car to mexico City and had them back the next day around 5 PM. It was rather cheap, too. The business was selling film rolls.

What I like most about modern cameras is the ability to see a shot right after taking it. Then you can delete it and try again, of course (when the subject stays still). Early digital cameras didn't have a screen on the back.

They're lighter, too, than old 35mm cameras. It's harder to run out of "film," and you can easily reuse the "film" any number of times.

But there are drawbacks, too. I miss the easy trick shots one could make with a manual 35 mm, like multiple exposures, which could be done in minutes without any need for Photoshop or a mouse <sigh>

Quote:

I've kept my mid-80s fully manual Fuji 35 mm for sentimental reasons. But even in 2006, alst time I sued it, finding film for it wasn't exactly easy. Well, not if you're me and want ASA-100, ASA-400 and ASA-25 for daytime, night-time and high-quality daytime respectively. Not to mention B&W film from time to time just because (and because I know what panchromatic black and white means). One regret I have is not taking along B&W film when I visited KSC in Florida.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
June 25th, 2014 at 7:51:37 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Face
"Be kind. Rewind" XD

That's an important religious principle of the Locker People who wosrhip K the Father, J the Son, and the holy adult films in the back.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
June 25th, 2014 at 12:16:34 PM permalink
Evenbob
I bought my first digital (Sony) in 2005.

That's funny, I bought my last one in 2005
and am still using it. My first was in 1997
when I started selling on Ebay and it was
$800. I went thru 4 of them, each cheaper
than the last. My brother owning a camera
store helped a lot. And it eventually went
under because overnight, about 2006, nobody
was buying film cameras anymore.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 7th, 2014 at 1:39:16 PM permalink
Evenbob
Remember S&H Green Stamps? We, like millions
of others, sat around the kitchen table as kids
and pasted them into the gift books. My mom
kept them in a shoe box. Every business gave
them out, even gas stations. They faded out
in the 70's, but they were hot in the 50's and
60's.

July 7th, 2014 at 4:39:15 PM permalink
zippyboy
Threads: 2
Remember when you got a new license plate every year for your car instead of the sticker? When did the sticker start?