Remember When

October 6th, 2021 at 1:03:40 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I read this might be the most well-known iconic commercial in the United States. Second only to the Life cereal Mikey commercial

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 18th, 2021 at 12:47:47 PM permalink
Evenbob
Remember when there were no fast food restaurants, hardly any restaurants at all. In the 1950s people just didn't eat out very much unless it was a special occasion. I didn't go to McDonald's for the first time till I was 15 years old. Now a kid has been to a McDonald's 100 times before he's 5 years old. I think one of the reasons I have such an aversion to eating in public is we never ever went out when I was a kid. Ever. Never. My dad was a factory worker and my mother was a telephone operator so we had no extra money. I never saw the inside of a restaurant until I was well into my teens. We lived in the country, if we lived in the city it would have been different.

I do not go to restaurants now because I think the food is mostly terrible. But I also have an aversion to eating in front of other people and watching them eat. Ever notice when you're eating with someone and they're sitting across from you that you never actually watch them eat. You never actually watch them put the food into their mouth and chew it. It's an invasion of personal space to watch someone eat. It's very close to watching someone sitting on the toilet. Bodily functions ain't pretty. Restaurants are very new to society. They've only been around for a few hundred years. Eating was something you did at home with your family not out in public where everybody can see you. For me it's a very strange custom. And I don't know for a fact but I would think that it was invented by women who got sick of cooking and wanted to have somebody else cook for them once in awhile. I cannot see men wanting to pass up a home cooked meal for some crap you get in a restaurant.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 18th, 2021 at 1:09:49 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Evenbob
Remember when there were no fast food restaurants, hardly any restaurants at all. In the 1950s people just didn't eat out very much unless it was a special occasion. I didn't go to McDonald's for the first time till I was 15 years old. Now a kid has been to a McDonald's 100 times before he's 5 years old. I think one of the reasons I have such an aversion to eating in public is we never ever went out when I was a kid. Ever. Never. My dad was a factory worker and my mother was a telephone operator so we had no extra money. I never saw the inside of a restaurant until I was well into my teens. We lived in the country, if we lived in the city it would have been different.

I do not go to restaurants now because I think the food is mostly terrible. But I also have an aversion to eating in front of other people and watching them eat. Ever notice when you're eating with someone and they're sitting across from you that you never actually watch them eat. You never actually watch them put the food into their mouth and chew it. It's an invasion of personal space to watch someone eat. It's very close to watching someone sitting on the toilet. Bodily functions ain't pretty. Restaurants are very new to society. They've only been around for a few hundred years. Eating was something you did at home with your family not out in public where everybody can see you. For me it's a very strange custom. And I don't know for a fact but I would think that it was invented by women who got sick of cooking and wanted to have somebody else cook for them once in awhile. I cannot see men wanting to pass up a home cooked meal for some crap you get in a restaurant.

When I eat out at restaurants I am usually getting better food than at home. I don't cook much and my wife is not a good cook, Tonight I am going to a Red Robin. I think I have only eaten there once and it was below average but the granddaughter likes it.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
November 18th, 2021 at 1:12:28 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: DRich
When I eat out at restaurants I am usually getting better food than at home. I don't cook much and my wife is not a good cook, Tonight I am going to a Red Robin. I think I have only eaten there once and it was below average but the granddaughter likes it.

Try the spicy ketchup. No upcharge but pretty good stuff. An Asian sauce and ketchup mixed.
The President is a fink.
November 18th, 2021 at 1:23:43 PM permalink
Evenbob
When I eat out at restaurants I am usually getting better food than at home. .

Most people are getting better food in a restaurant. Crappy as it is, it's better than that pre-made processed food most people eat at home now. Buy it frozen stick it in the microwave for 2 minutes junk.
November 18th, 2021 at 1:25:09 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: AZDuffman
Try the spicy ketchup. No upcharge but pretty good stuff. An Asian sauce and ketchup mixed.

That's actually a good idea. Mix Frank's Hot Sauce, which I buy by the gallon jug, with Heinz sugar free ketchup. I want to try that later I bet it's very good.
November 18th, 2021 at 1:27:02 PM permalink
DRich
That's actually a good idea. Mix Frank's Hot Sauce, which I buy by the gallon jug, with Heinz sugar free ketchup. I want to try that later I bet it's very good.

I like Franks hot sauce mixed with teriyaki sauce for a spicy teriyaki.
November 18th, 2021 at 1:27:33 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135

I use an Asian sauce. RR used to have an Asian sauce for the fries but it is no more. Waitstaff say people ask about it all the time. I do try to mix stuff with ketchup to step it up.
The President is a fink.
November 18th, 2021 at 1:28:48 PM permalink
Evenbob
I like Franks hot sauce mixed with teriyaki sauce for a spicy teriyaki.

Wow you do eat something that's good for you. Hot sauce is a superfood because it's full of capsaicin from the peppers which is an antioxidant and anti-inflammatory. I eat hot sauce everyday.
November 18th, 2021 at 3:17:25 PM permalink
DRich
Wow you do eat something that's good for you. Hot sauce is a superfood because it's full of capsaicin from the peppers which is an antioxidant and anti-inflammatory. I eat hot sauce everyday.

But I mix it with sugary Teriyaki sauce. No, I don't eat anything healthy.