Climate Change -- conspiracy theory or is it time we all drive a Prius?

June 20th, 2022 at 7:22:24 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: rxwine
You just want climate change 'cause Canada will have decent weather.

Ahh you are on to me.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
June 21st, 2022 at 2:53:36 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: rxwine
I've never envisioned relying on one renewable, so that's not been my point. But people survived without gasoline and electricity before, you know. Apparently, it's not impossible.
This is definitely a pure "let them eat cake" kind of comment, with more like it [some from others] I won't quote

Should the Midwest blackouts be an accurate prediction for this year and likely a few years further, I think I'll save a few of these so I can suggest them to the policy makers responsible... so they can sooth the feelings of those afflicted. It'll go over real big I'm sure
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
June 21st, 2022 at 5:37:37 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: odiousgambit
This is definitely a pure "let them eat cake" kind of comment, with more like it [some from others] I won't quote

Should the Midwest blackouts be an accurate prediction for this year and likely a few years further, I think I'll save a few of these so I can suggest them to the policy makers responsible... so they can sooth the feelings of those afflicted. It'll go over real big I'm sure

Pay now, or pay more later, would better represent my view. Besides, I'm in the crowd, not the castle.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 21st, 2022 at 12:02:29 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Looks like more gravity based projects are getting underway, than when I first saw this.

https://apple.news/AR7_C28X-SIGhTSvaNcD6xg
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 25th, 2022 at 5:47:33 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Quote: missedhervee in news thread
It got to 116 in Portland, Oregon last year about this time.

Beat the absolute high temp record by a whopping ten degrees.

WTF?

Since we know there are plenty of people who would want to cause excitement, I'm suspicious about the circumstances around temperature records for highs that are being broken by 10 degrees in Portland, OR. Let me stop right here and say I concede it has been getting very hot on the Pacific coast these days and records are no doubt being broken. 100 deaths were blamed on the heat in OR last year. It's been something!

I decided I wanted to see what NOAA is actually reporting. Finding something showing a comparison of recent to historical highs and lows frustrated me, perhaps you'd have better luck. But it seems they use the Portland airport at NOAA [weather.gov] and the highs there are quite a bit lower normally than downtown. 

https://www.weather.gov/wrh/timeseries?site=KPDX   [you have to click on it]

I was able to find something that showed downtown info. 

https://www.weather.gov/media/pqr/climate/ClimateBookPortland/pg12.pdf [click on this too]

The downtown records that are being broken are certainly for a real range of years, some *still standing* for June go back to the 1870s when they started with this. It is well known that you get a heat island effect in downtown areas, something that built over time with added parking lots etc. So I think we can conclude that these old records should definitely, inevitably be falling for downtown Portland even if things are not generally getting warmer. Is 10 degrees worth noting? Only if that's supported by non-downtown data showing the same extreme. So the whole picture, what is that?

I'm just taking it that there is a heat wave, and it's a repeat. It's more than Oregonians are used to. It could be a symptom of climate change, though what I hear is ocean temperatures are much more important for scientific study ... and downtown temperatures don't belong in any study!
June 25th, 2022 at 10:44:37 AM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
It was 116 degrees in Portland the metro area.

Temps are typically measured at the airport adjacent to the Columbia River, about five or so miles NE of downtown.

The fact that the all time high record was broken is not itself significant, the significance is the magnitude by which the prior record was shattered (I thought it used to be 106 degrees, but the prior record was in fact 107 degrees: a nine point spike).
June 25th, 2022 at 10:54:33 AM permalink
odiousgambit
I'm just now zeroing in on the fact you are still talking about 2021
June 25th, 2022 at 11:32:45 AM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Yes, 2021.

2020: massive wilfires in Oregon.

2021: record-shattering heat.

2022: Locusts?
June 25th, 2022 at 1:31:15 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Quote: missedhervee
Yes, 2021.

A pattern here for sure. God is known to punish sinners like your bunch up there
June 25th, 2022 at 5:43:40 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: missedhervee
Yes, 2021.

"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin