Climate Change -- conspiracy theory or is it time we all drive a Prius?

July 13th, 2023 at 3:19:30 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: rxwine
Hers's a clue. Thinking for yourself is not working for you.

Working great for me, but you will never know because you never try it for yourself.
The President is a fink.
July 13th, 2023 at 3:21:41 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
the insurance companies deserting FL is about not being able to charge customers what they need to charge them to stay profitable; this due to the state telling these companies they have to hold down those prices

as for the trend, the last 2 to hit FL were category 5, so it depends on how much you want to make out of that trend. Did the insurance companies decide all future hurricanes in FL will be cat 4 or 5 and vamoose on that basis instead?

here is the list of Cat 5s to have hit FL, shown is cat, date, wind speed in knots, landfall place

Ian .......... 5 2022 130 Cayo Costa
Michael .....5 2018 140 West of Mexico Beach
Andrew......5 1992 145 North of Homestead
Labor Day.. 5 1935 160 Craig Key

here that is with all the other hurricanes in total between Ian and Andrew. The 2000s were more active with weaker storms, exception Charley. There is a big lapse between 2005 and 2017, insurance profits must have been sweet then

Ian 5 2022 130 Cayo Costa
Michael 5 2018 140 West of Mexico Beach
Irma 4 2017 115 Cudjoe Key
Dennis 3 2005 105 Santa Rosa Island
Wilma 3 2005 105 Cape Romano
Charley 4 2004 130 Cayo Costa
Ivan 3 2004 105 West of Gulf Shores, Alabama*
Jeanne 3 2004 105 Hutchinson Island
Opal 3 1995 100 Pensacola Beach
Andrew 5 1992 145 North of Homestead

here is the list of most intense hurricanes to hit FL by barometric pressure rank and the year, the trend from this view of things is that they are getting weaker

1 "Labor Day" 1935 892 mbar (hPa)
2 Michael 2018 919 mbar (hPa)
3 Andrew 1992 922 mbar (hPa)
4 "Florida Keys" 1919 927 mbar (hPa)
5 "Okeechobee" 1928 929 mbar (hPa)
6 "Great Miami" 1926 930 mbar (hPa)
[tied ] Donna 1960 930 mbar (hPa)
8 Irma 2017 931 mbar (hPa)
9 "Florida" 1948 940 mbar (hPa)
10 Charley 2004 941 mbar (hPa)
[tied] Ian 2022 941 mbar (hPa)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Florida_hurricanes
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
July 13th, 2023 at 3:50:20 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: odiousgambit

here is the list of most intense hurricanes to hit FL by barometric pressure rank and the year, the trend from this view of things is that they are getting weaker

1 "Labor Day" 1935 892 mbar (hPa)
2 Michael 2018 919 mbar (hPa)
3 Andrew 1992 922 mbar (hPa)
4 "Florida Keys" 1919 927 mbar (hPa)
5 "Okeechobee" 1928 929 mbar (hPa)
6 "Great Miami" 1926 930 mbar (hPa)
[tied ] Donna 1960 930 mbar (hPa)
8 Irma 2017 931 mbar (hPa)
9 "Florida" 1948 940 mbar (hPa)
10 Charley 2004 941 mbar (hPa)
[tied] Ian 2022 941 mbar (hPa)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Florida_hurricanes

That's impossible.....the infobabe on PMSNBC said global warming was making them more severe......?????
The President is a fink.
July 13th, 2023 at 4:18:17 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
'The study, published in the journal Nature Climate Change, found that the annual number of global hurricanes, typhoons and tropical storms — or tropical cyclones, more generally — declined by roughly 13% as the planet warmed during the 20th century.'

Maybe we need more air pollution.

'Murakami’s study published in May found that over the past four decades, a decrease in air pollution over North America and Europe resulted in an increase in the number of hurricanes in the North Atlantic. On the other side of the world, researchers detected a decrease in the number of typhoons in the western North Pacific, sparked by an increase in aerosol pollution in China and India.'
July 13th, 2023 at 5:15:24 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I hate to interrupt the conclusions that assume the category of the hurricane is the only factor. Just to mention 1 or 2, the coastline where I lived at one time in Florida is vastly more built up in real estate as are other areas of the country, and not necessarily built up with hurricane ready homes. More coastline buildings also means more potential flooding. On top of that factor more people build on the water access everywhere.

A cat 5 moving across barren land, is not like a cat 4 moving across populated land.

Quote:
The cumulative costs of the 16 separate billion-dollar weather events in the U.S. in 2017 was $306.2 billion, breaking the previous cost record of $214.8 billion (2005). It is estimated that Hurricane Harvey alone had total costs of $125 billion—second only to Hurricane Katrina in the period of record, which had an approximate cost of $161 billion.

Tropical Cyclones: The Highest Costs
Of the 310 billion-dollar weather disasters between 1980 and 2021, tropical cyclones (or hurricanes) have caused the most damage: over $1.1 trillion total, with an average cost of $20.5 billion per event. They are also responsible for the highest number of deaths: 6,697 between 1980 and 2021.

I might also mention slow moving less powerful storms bring lots of water damage.

https://coast.noaa.gov/states/fast-facts/hurricane-costs.html#:~:text=Of%20the%20310%20billion%2Ddollar,of%20%2420.5%20billion%20per%20event.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 13th, 2023 at 6:52:50 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Now Biden wants to give control of the military to foreign environmentalists.

"As the Washington Free Beacon reports, the White House’s proposal would give veto power to the British environmental group Science Based Targets Initiative (SBTI). The group, which is heavily funded by Democratic dark money networks, would be allowed to have the final say on any proposals by federal contractors for reducing carbon emissions.

The SBTI largely follows the demands made by the Paris Climate Accord, a controversial global plan which dictates how nations are to reduce their carbon emissions. By giving veto power to this group, SBTI would be able to shut down military defense contracts, and in the process could even gain access to sensitive military information."
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
July 13th, 2023 at 8:15:50 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
A hurricane is just some wind and rain, we all deal with wind and rain.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
July 13th, 2023 at 9:29:13 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: DRich
A hurricane is just some wind and rain, we all deal with wind and rain.
usually one way we deal with it is by buying insurance. As far as I know, no one lives in some state that's so dangerous to property that a house there is basically uninsurable. The thing that causes that is if 90+% of the property got destroyed every decade so that the 10% or less remaining can't reasonably pay for it. In other words, insurance is impractical if you're trying to insure against something happening, that happens to everyone. FL gets hurricanes but the whole state doesn't get destroyed.

If our local politicians want to protect us by regulating the insurance, I think we can become suspicious about what they are doing when all the good insurance companies leave the state

if you search the internet for explanations a lot of crap comes up that explains nothing except blah blah about climate change. The article below is better, not great, but brings out other ways the state is screwed up with insurance, including the tort system allowed.

https://www.forbes.com/advisor/homeowners-insurance/why-is-homeowners-insurance-in-florida-such-a-disaster/
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
July 13th, 2023 at 9:46:19 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
usually one way we deal with it is by buying insurance. As far as I know, no one lives in some state that's so dangerous to property that a house there is basically uninsurable. The thing that causes that is if 90+% of the property got destroyed every decade so that the 10% or less remaining can't reasonably pay for it. In other words, insurance is impractical if you're trying to insure against something happening, that happens to everyone. FL gets hurricanes but the whole state doesn't get destroyed.

If our local politicians want to protect us by regulating the insurance, I think we can become suspicious about what they are doing when all the good insurance companies leave the state

if you search the internet for explanations a lot of crap comes up that explains nothing except blah blah about climate change. The article below is better, not great, but brings out other ways the state is screwed up with insurance, including the tort system allowed.

https://www.forbes.com/advisor/homeowners-insurance/why-is-homeowners-insurance-in-florida-such-a-disaster/

Just briefly, I look at the complaints about structure of laws, means the altrernative they suggest is neither the law firms or insurance companies will get screwed by changes. But if you can go back to making all the screwing go onto the individual homeowner, he’s too small an entity to fight it.

In other words, fight the weakess, and crushing them will make our problem go away.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 13th, 2023 at 11:43:49 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51

There are plenty of companies still insuring in Florida. I only know that because I live in Florida and shop my insurance every year.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.