Climate Change -- conspiracy theory or is it time we all drive a Prius?

February 16th, 2024 at 4:49:42 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Since I happened upon this this morning, speaking of doom predictors.

Sam Altman of Open Ai from his blog 9 years ago.

Quote:
SMI (Superhuman Machine Intelligence) does not have to be the inherently evil sci-fi version to kill us all. A more probable scenario is that it simply doesn’t care about us much either way, but in an effort to accomplish some other goal (most goals, if you think about them long enough, could make use of resources currently being used by humans) wipes us out. Certain goals, like self-preservation, could clearly benefit from no humans. We wash our hands not because we actively wish ill towards the bacteria and viruses on them, but because we don’t want them to get in the way of our plans.

https://blog.samaltman.com/machine-intelligence-part-1

You can "keep watching the skies", but the doom may be approaching laterally. Heh.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 16th, 2024 at 8:19:41 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
what we seem to hear the most about is the increasing difficulty of determining what is real, and what is fake

the problem of gaining self-interest doesn't seem real to me, unless we carelessly put AI in charge of the wrong things, and even then I think it would require a crazy programmer ... like a climate activist who decides humans need to go
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
February 21st, 2024 at 8:02:34 AM permalink
odiousgambit
I'd put this in the category of "being informed" but I suspect the climate activists truly hate videos like this

February 21st, 2024 at 8:05:21 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Oh, Australia again

heh.

nothing to see here, move along
February 21st, 2024 at 7:52:36 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: odiousgambit
I'd put this in the category of "being informed" but I suspect the climate activists truly hate videos like this

I actually watched this whole RIDICULOUSLY OVERSIMPLISTIC video. His first STUPID assumption is that the inflow of electricity will not be enough to supply all the pumps they have. In his dumb example there is 1000 units coming in, each car needs 350, so if 3 cars are charging simultaneously they can only get 333, not 350. Welllllll….. why not have 1050 coming in if you expect to fill 3 cars at a time? Or if your in flow limit is 1000 then only have 2 pumps!!!!

Then the stupidity of ‘what if a factory is nearby that uses a lot of electricity?’ It was actually quite an embarrassingly bad use of failed logic to try and prove a point which he cannot come close to proving.
February 22nd, 2024 at 4:47:18 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Quote: SOOPOO
...STUPID assumption...
an incorrect assumption or actual bad design that has happened?

Quote: People also ask...

Why does my EV take so long to charge?

In some cases, the charging station's power output may be lower than your EV's maximum capacity, which can mean slower charging. You may also find that charging speeds can drop when multiple vehicles are connected to a charging station. [my emphasis]

citing https://www.heliox-energy.com/blog/6-reasons-why-your-ev-isnt-charging-as-fast-as-before
February 22nd, 2024 at 8:59:18 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: odiousgambit
an incorrect assumption or actual bad design that has happened?

Quote: People also ask...

Why does my EV take so long to charge?

In some cases, the charging station's power output may be lower than your EV's maximum capacity, which can mean slower charging. You may also find that charging speeds can drop when multiple vehicles are connected to a charging station. [my emphasis]

citing https://www.heliox-energy.com/blog/6-reasons-why-your-ev-isnt-charging-as-fast-as-before

I’m not saying that his analysis isn’t true today. I 100% agree that the infrastructure now would not sustain an instantaneous change to all EV vehicles. I’m just saying that it just takes a change in the way these stations are designed to fix the problem.

What % of EV charging will be done at home or work when your car will just be parked? Gotta be over 95%.

There will be specific examples of people who drive hundreds of miles a day frequently that it is an issue for. For the majority of people the majority of the time it won’t be an issue.
February 24th, 2024 at 8:34:53 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
"A top cancer surgeon at Columbia University is under scrutiny after one of his research papers was retracted for containing suspect data. Twenty-six other studies by Dr. Sam S. Yoon, who conducted his research at the Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, have been flagged as suspicious by a British scientific sleuth called Sholto David. David raised the alarm after spotting the same images across different articles that described wholly different experiments."

"Scientific papers are like someone’s dating profile on an app. They’re picking what pictures to show you and what stories to tell you. You don’t get to see the whole library of photos on their phone. Researchers are only presenting a sliver of what they’ve actually done. And just like a dating app on your phone, everything is inaccurate." Vinay Prasad

Trust the science, yeah right.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
February 24th, 2024 at 8:49:41 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: kenarman
"A top cancer surgeon at Columbia University is under scrutiny after one of his research papers was retracted for containing suspect data. Twenty-six other studies by Dr. Sam S. Yoon, who conducted his research at the Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, have been flagged as suspicious by a British scientific sleuth called Sholto David. David raised the alarm after spotting the same images across different articles that described wholly different experiments."

"Scientific papers are like someone’s dating profile on an app. They’re picking what pictures to show you and what stories to tell you. You don’t get to see the whole library of photos on their phone. Researchers are only presenting a sliver of what they’ve actually done. And just like a dating app on your phone, everything is inaccurate." Vinay Prasad

Trust the science, yeah right.

What should we trust instead? Send some replacement people who don’t do anything wrong or make mistakes and I’ll start paying attention.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 24th, 2024 at 9:32:25 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: rxwine
What should we trust instead? Send some replacement people who don’t do anything wrong or make mistakes and I’ll start paying attention.

The researchers should publish all their data not cherry pick it to their biases and not ignore the data that doesn't support their position. Peer review should be by random people not just their friends and those that agree with them. If your paper can't stand up to the pressure then it probably wasn't good science to start with. Universities where much of the papers come from should go back to allowing contrary positions. Those with contrary positions should face the same support and opposition as those that are pushing the currently accepted view.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin