Climate Change -- conspiracy theory or is it time we all drive a Prius?

November 29th, 2023 at 12:31:33 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Greta Thunberg ... at least the sign doesn't say Hamas

I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
December 5th, 2023 at 8:14:24 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
I'm suspicious of these claims about farting.

1] I think these sounds would be hard for the mic to pick up, unless the person did it on purpose
2] the interpretation that a woman is reacting to the fart, when it could be something else were there no such sound, so this seems to be a likely prompt for the mischievous
3] there is this assertion that it's been validated that it really happened, but you'd have to be a fool not to realize it could be faked. In some versions, the sound is made louder, I've noticed

note I waited to say this till someone I don't like at all had this be claimed to happen to them. In these cases, without the sound, you'd assume the woman reacts to the comment

I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
December 12th, 2023 at 9:44:54 AM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
Really good visualization of cumulative emissions and a creative image.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
December 12th, 2023 at 10:45:57 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I suppose we should account for the fact that China has 3 times our population.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 12th, 2023 at 11:17:55 AM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
Quote: rxwine

Per capita emissions, 2021. China doesn’t make the top 15.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
December 12th, 2023 at 5:44:07 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: rxwine

You also have to remember that still a great majority of the Chinese live remote and away from lots of modern technology.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
February 3rd, 2024 at 8:23:44 AM permalink
rxwine
Texas produces more renewable energy than California. According to data from the U.S. Energy Information Administration, Texas led all states in overall renewable energy production, accounting for over 14% of the country's totals¹. In the first quarter of 2022, Texas produced nearly a quarter of the nation's wind energy¹. On the other hand, California, which is the nation's leader in both utility-scale solar and geothermal, ranked third in overall production¹. Here are the most recent figures for total renewable energy production (in millions of megawatt-hours):

1. Texas: 33.95
2. Washington: 25.01
3. California: 19.52¹

It's worth noting that while Texas leads in wind energy, California is known for its solar energy production²³. So, while Texas produces more renewable energy overall, the type of renewable energy each state specializes in varies.

Source: Conversation with Bing, 2/3/2024
(1) 10 States That Produce the Most Renewable Energy. https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/slideshows/these-states-use-the-most-renewable-energy.
(2) Renewable Energy Production and Use by State in 2023 - The Motley Fool. https://www.fool.com/research/renewable-energy-by-state/.
(3) Texas and California Energy Side By Side - Quick Electricity. https://quickelectricity.com/texas-and-california-energy-side-by-side/.
(4) One State Generates Much, Much More Renewable Energy Than Any Other—and .... https://insideclimatenews.org/news/09032023/inside-clean-energy-texas-renewables/.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 7th, 2024 at 6:25:43 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96

Nero fiddled while Rome burned;

Ursus sleeps while the ice melts.
February 7th, 2024 at 6:42:21 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: missedhervee

Nero fiddled while Rome burned;

Ursus sleeps while the ice melts.

Nice photoshop. But the fake news that the polar bears are in trouble was debunked years ago, you aren't seriously that far behind the times are you?
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
February 8th, 2024 at 10:05:49 AM permalink
rxwine
I’m happy to say I was wrong on this point according to this article from Scientific American.. As I’ve argued before environmental protections might sacrifice aspects of the economy.

Quote:
numerous studies show that protecting the environment is not bad for the economy. In the 1980s—soon after landmark federal statutes such as the Clean Air and Clean Water Acts were passed—some studies suggested that the economic slowdown in that decade was caused by environmental legislation.

But better, larger and longer-term studies completed since then have refuted that claim. For example, one study found that productivity at stringently regulated oil refineries in the heavily controlled Los Angeles air basin increased during the study period—1987 to 1992—whereas refinery productivity decreased in other regions. A recent review of the peer-reviewed literature concluded that “environmental regulations have had very little effect on employment in the regulated industry.” In other words, environmental protection does not kill jobs.

What is more, many environmentally destructive jobs are notoriously short-lived. Mineral extraction is famously associated with boom-and-bust economics—think “gold rush”—and several studies have shown that the fracking “boom” of the early 2000s has already gone bust. In his 2021 book, Up to Heaven and Down to Hell: Fracking, Freedom, and Community in an American Town, Colin Jerolmack reports that the actual number of jobs that were created by the industry was often far less than claimed, and many of them proved ephemeral. The Multi-State Shale Research Collaborative found that “firms with an economic interest in the expansion of drilling” and their allies systematically exaggerated its impact on employment.

For instance, in 2012 the U.S. Chamber of Commerce claimed that fracking in Pennsylvania, Ohio and West Virginia had created more than 300,000 new jobs. But the Pennsylvania Department of Labor and Industry counted only about 18,000 in core industries and about 5,600 in ancillary industries, and according to the nonprofit Ohio River Valley Institute, little of the income they generated stayed in local communities. In contrast, environmental restoration creates jobs in projects that typically employ local laborers, use mostly local materials and, because they support tourism and recreation, often yield durable benefits.

Environmental protection is also good for public health, which in turn is good for the economy, because sick people generally can’t work well and sometimes can’t work at all. A study published in the journal Science last November estimated that nearly half a million deaths in the U.S. could be attributed to fine particulate air pollutants from coal-fired power plants between 1999 and 2020.

More here
https://apple.news/AZ7ZYSt6DSWC2jpleZuNl4w