Buying an Old Car

Page 12 of 14« First<91011121314>
April 14th, 2020 at 4:13:53 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: petroglyph
It's a fine craftsman that can blame his tools.

Caveat: If another Ranchero shows its face this year, I'm gonna grab it before I have a chance to contemplate it. I already got a line on a thousand dollar Jetta for a winter beater...
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
April 14th, 2020 at 4:18:17 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Face
Caveat: If another Ranchero shows its face this year, I'm gonna grab it before I have a chance to contemplate it. I already got a line on a thousand dollar Jetta for a winter beater...

I would have assumed you to be a Tundra guy istead of the Tacoma. To put it into perspective, I like the Tacoma so you probably shouldn't
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
April 14th, 2020 at 4:30:41 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Back in the day I depended a lot on reviews of lemons and cherries. Which used cars held up, and which were shop queens and money pits.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 14th, 2020 at 4:55:04 PM permalink
Face
Quote: DRich
I would have assumed you to be a Tundra guy istead of the Tacoma. To put it into perspective, I like the Tacoma so you probably shouldn't

I always got big trucks cuz I needed to. 4,000lbs of trailer n toys ain't a good idea behind a 3,000lb S10.

Today, the Colorado is as big as the old Silverado, probably bigger than a C10. Minimum 5,300gvwr, maxing out at over 3 freaking tons. Dodge's magnum v8 in the 90s was like 230hp. You can barely find a v6 with LESS than that today. And since the Colorado is ugly and the Ranger a half digested abortion of style, a Taco is where it's at.

They're very weird to drive, though. Feels like a large luxury car
April 14th, 2020 at 7:23:55 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
I always got big trucks cuz I needed to. 4,000lbs of trailer n toys ain't a good idea behind a 3,000lb S10.

Today, the Colorado is as big as the old Silverado, probably bigger than a C10. Minimum 5,300gvwr, maxing out at over 3 freaking tons. Dodge's magnum v8 in the 90s was like 230hp. You can barely find a v6 with LESS than that today. And since the Colorado is ugly and the Ranger a half digested abortion of style, a Taco is where it's at.

They're very weird to drive, though. Feels like a large luxury car

I always wanted to own a dump truck and a cement mixer.

I also want a Mercedes SL500 but new ones are out of my price range and I am too scared to buy a used one that is out of warranty. I found a used one for $11,000 but it is 15 years old and has 118,000 miles. https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/798101403/overview/

This is the first time since 1990 that one of my cars isn't a convertible.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
April 15th, 2020 at 10:53:59 AM permalink
Face
Quote: DRich
I am too scared to buy a used one that is out of warranty.

Smart man. Nothing's more expensive than a cheap Merc.

Gonna need to keep that dump fully loaded at all times, or your back surgery will need round 2
April 22nd, 2020 at 5:09:26 PM permalink
Face
Quote: petroglyph
What puked?

Mine is still fine.

Every goddamn thing lol.

Oh yeah, and the sonofabitch Will Not stay in gear. Every gd bump (which it's WNY in a one-ton) and *plop*, just hangs in no-man's land. There's like three different 5ths and only one of them sticks worth a damn. I don't bleeding know...

So I was off looking. "I'll fool them", buy a kick ass old ride, easy to work on, but a resto for the quality. I can afford a two-car plan, and I can afford to spend used money on an old treat.

Holy s#$%.

We're talking $18k for a barn find. Plain old restos are in the $30k territory. Resto mods start around $45,000! For an '82 C/K? An '87 Custom Deluxe? A '77 C10?

Back in my day, you could buy a brand new full size with a goddamn big block 454 for $18 thousand. I just found one with 29 miles.

It's fifty grand ><
April 22nd, 2020 at 6:25:48 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Oh yeah, and the sonofabitch Will Not stay in gear. Every gd bump (which it's WNY in a one-ton) and *plop*, just hangs in no-man's land. There's like three different 5ths and only one of them sticks worth a damn. I don't bleeding know...

So I was off looking. "I'll fool them", buy a kick ass old ride, easy to work on, but a resto for the quality. I can afford a two-car plan, and I can afford to spend used money on an old treat.

Holy s#$%.

We're talking $18k for a barn find. Plain old restos are in the $30k territory. Resto mods start around $45,000! For an '82 C/K? An '87 Custom Deluxe? A '77 C10?

Back in my day, you could buy a brand new full size with a goddamn big block 454 for $18 thousand. I just found one with 29 miles.

It's fifty grand ><
You want to come get this one?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
April 23rd, 2020 at 4:51:46 PM permalink
Face
Quote: petro
You want to come get this one?

Nope. I've never liked Ford, and now I certainly don't. 2006 alllll the way to the teens, and you couldn't figure this s@#$ out? Head bolts, cam phasers, "to change spark plug, first remove cab..." And this from "the #1"?

Bleh.

I'm just dreaming, anyway. I hope to still have a line on that $1,000 Jetta, and I'll just relegate this pig to as-needed. You know; playtime, blizzards,... I'll suffer with another s@#$ can in the meantime.
April 24th, 2020 at 3:42:17 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Nope. I've never liked Ford, and now I certainly don't. 2006 alllll the way to the teens, and you couldn't figure this s@#$ out? Head bolts, cam phasers, "to change spark plug, first remove cab..." And this from "the #1"?

Bleh.

I'm just dreaming, anyway. I hope to still have a line on that $1,000 Jetta, and I'll just relegate this pig to as-needed. You know; playtime, blizzards,... I'll suffer with another s@#$ can in the meantime.

Say what you want about Ford, but I just heard a good one. During cash for clunkers most cars would seize up in 10-20 minutes. The F-150s took forever.

Long live the American small-block!
The President is a fink.
Page 12 of 14« First<91011121314>