In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

December 21st, 2020 at 10:39:55 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
If you were using a title you clearly weren’t awarded, that would be an issue. But otherwise, whether you choose to use it in personal interactions should be up to you.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 21st, 2020 at 10:49:26 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: rxwine
If you were using a title you clearly weren’t awarded, that would be an issue. But otherwise, whether you choose to use it in personal interactions should be up to you.

My mom was pretty fanatic about it concerning my father. My Dad earned his PHD from Yale.
She was insistent that he use the title DR.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
December 21st, 2020 at 10:55:16 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: terapined
Regardless
Jill Biden earned her doctorate and should be called Dr
My father was proud to be called Dr
He earned his Doctorate to become a geologist

If somebody has a PhD its proper to call them Dr. Smith in class, formal settings, etc.... But, I dont think anyone would say a PhD in Geology, " He is a great Doctor he should be Surgeon General" (which would actually be slightly less absurd than an EdD (as at least a PhD in geology is science related.....)

If somebody says "They are a great doctor" the assumption is that they are a D.O. or M.D. If you are talking about a great geologist you would say "He is a great scientist or great researcher" etc....

And, yes, I am aware the Surgeon General is not actually required to be a Doctor (M.D. or D.O.), nurses have been Surgeon General before. But, its normal to be medically trained. And, personally I think it should be a Medical Doctor (just like I don't think Coroner's should be elected or appointed who are not Medical Doctors, but that is just my view).

Also, its not open to anyone you have to be a commissioned officer of the Public Health Corp (which is why its usually Docs or nurses). So the President cannot just pick anyone, it actually has to be a uniformed servicemember of the Health Corp.... (Also, fun fact, the Sugeon General is actually an Admiral, they are given a naval rating....)

So, no Jill Biden cannot be Sugeon General even if she has a secret M.D. degree because she is not an active officer in the Health Corp....
December 21st, 2020 at 11:01:46 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Gandler
If somebody has a PhD its proper to call them Dr. Smith in class, formal settings, etc.... But, I dont think anyone would say a PhD in Geology, " He is a great Doctor he should be Surgeon General" (which would actually be slightly less absurd than an EdD (as at least a PhD in geology is science related.....)

If it is not medical you should not be using "Dr" outside of the classroom or campus.
The President is a fink.
December 21st, 2020 at 11:10:19 AM permalink
Gandler
Quote: AZDuffman
If it is not medical you should not be using "Dr" outside of the classroom or campus.

I agree, I tend to think anyone who introduces themselves as "Dr. John Smith" etc... in social settings tends to be stuck up, unless there is a valid reason to make their medical experience known, but if they are a random PhD (or EdD) and not a medical doctor they tend to just be full of themselves (because there is no reason I need to know somebody has a PhD in Theology or an EdD or whatever in a social setting etc...)

I would add to take Dentists and maybe some psychologists (PsyD I think?) who I think qualify as medical. I am not big on formal titles so I don't even really like when people introduce themselves as "Mr. James Smith", etc... What's the point? I am fine with just your first name....
December 21st, 2020 at 11:13:09 AM permalink
rxwine
Tucker Carlson made a big deal about Biden using her title, but of course he’s never complained about Dr Sebastian Gorka on his show using his title.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 21st, 2020 at 11:21:34 AM permalink
Gandler
Quote: rxwine
Tucker Carlson made a big deal about Biden using her title, but of course he’s never complained about Dr Sebastian Gorka on his show using his title.

I don't know who Dr. Gorka is, and I don't really watch Carlson except certain clips that get recommended (I try to avoid most of Fox).

But, generally, I have no problem with people saying Dr. in a news interview if its relevant. For example a PhD in Geology discussing a meteorite or PhD in Theology discussing some new religious relic found etc....

I would speculate Carlson made a big deal about people saying she should be Surgeon General, not that she is called Dr. Biden, because she is not a medical doctor and does not meet the requirements to be Surgeon General. For example if talking about her as a teacher or college professor, (where her EdD is relevant), I think it is fine to say Dr. Biden. But, saying she should be surgeon general is absurd...
December 21st, 2020 at 11:47:51 AM permalink
rxwine
I'm not sure we should always make allowances for public ignorance just because not everyone knows all "Drs" are not medical doctors.
December 21st, 2020 at 12:00:25 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
I just called my son, and of course said, “Hello, Dr. XXX!” I then asked him if I’m the first one to do so? His answer.... not even close! He has been the editor in chief of a major entomology journal and pretty much everyone who would address him just assumed he was a Dr., and would address him as Dr.XXX. He said it would be just too clumsy to always correct them. I can tell you one place you do NOT want to be referred to as Dr. XXX.... at the car repair shop....
December 21st, 2020 at 12:12:24 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Gandler
I don't know who Dr. Gorka is, and I don't really watch Carlson except certain clips that get recommended (I try to avoid most of Fox).

But, generally, I have no problem with people saying Dr. in a news interview if its relevant. For example a PhD in Geology discussing a meteorite or PhD in Theology discussing some new religious relic found etc....

I would speculate Carlson made a big deal about people saying she should be Surgeon General,

People???????
How about 1 person on the entire planet of Earth.
Except for that whoopi clip
Nobody is saying she should be the Surgeon General.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"