In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

January 7th, 2021 at 8:01:48 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Mission146
But, to suggest that yesterday's rioters were dispensed special privileges because they were white is absurd...

White privilege
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 7th, 2021 at 8:09:38 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Quote: odiousgambit

No guns were seen, and there were no less than four armed police officers and one official who appeared to be ordering them away from the scene, mixed in with the protesters. None of them was being threatened. That coward who fired the shot, endangered their lives as well.

Had this been Antifa, the winged monkeys of the democrat party, those paintings on the walls would have been shredded, and every statue in the building would have been destroyed. Then, they would have torched the place.
January 7th, 2021 at 8:11:19 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: Tanko
Had this been Antifa, the winged monkeys of the democrat party, those paintings on the walls would have been shredded, and every statue in the building would have been destroyed. Then, they would have torched the place.

False.

Capitol police would have shot them three blocks away from the Capitol.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
January 7th, 2021 at 8:20:54 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Tanko

No guns were seen, and there were no less than four armed police officers and one official who appeared to be ordering them away from the scene, mixed in with the protesters. None of them was being threatened. That coward who fired the shot, endangered their lives as well.

So you would be ok with this at your front door
I dont know about you
But if this happened at my front door
I would have a baseball bat and would be cracking heads wide open and killing them.
It's a riot

No way I would ever try to break into the Capital
I dont want to get shot
Common sense
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 7th, 2021 at 8:28:37 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
I don’t think the Trumpsters have yet realized how devastating the images from yesterday were for their “movement.”

“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
January 7th, 2021 at 8:42:19 AM permalink
gamerfreak
Threads: 4
Quote: ams288
I don’t think the Trumpsters have yet realized how devastating the images from yesterday were for their “movement.”

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ErJGaqNXMAAiPtQ?format=jpg&name=small

I think it’s going to take weeks for the dust to settle.

Beyond all chaos yesterday, the Dems won Georgia and control of the Senate.

Easily the darkest day in Republican history since watergate.
January 7th, 2021 at 9:15:14 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Quote: Dalex64
If they did start impeachment proceedings again, that would end the pardon train.
I haven't seen anyone use that "I" word yet, though some other pretty strong words are starting to be spoken.

I made that comment on the 3rd of January.

At the time, I expected to see some people, from the far left, to call from trump's impeachment. Nothing would come of it, just people would be saying those things because, of course they would. The vast majority would respond with an eye-roll.

After yesterday, calls for impeachment or removal under the 25th amendment have spread much wider across the political spectrum.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
January 7th, 2021 at 9:19:35 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: gamerfreak
I think it’s going to take weeks for the dust to settle.

Beyond all chaos yesterday, the Dems won Georgia and control of the Senate.

Easily the darkest day in Republican history since watergate.

No doubt about it. I'd also hasten to point out that the rioters absolutely DID NOT do Trump any favors, either.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
January 7th, 2021 at 9:28:11 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Hopefully these incidents will lead to the creation of a new major third party political group filled with centrists. Let the Republicans cater to the far right, Democrats far left, and a new party of centrists.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
January 7th, 2021 at 9:28:37 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: terapined
White privilege

What is the point of this, to demonstrate that a basketball coach agrees with you? Doc Rivers made his point and he did it in a very well-spoken way. With that, I disagree with his point. I could probably go find some random semi well-known person who agrees with me.

Some people will see it from your perspective, some people will see it from mine. That's all perfectly fine. I'm not even saying you're wrong. I'm saying, strictly in my opinion and from my perspective, D.C. police and the National Guard would have handled it roughly the same way. I used an example of the closest comparable thing, in my view, to support my assertion. In Seattle, they literally let them take over part of the city for multiple days.

Also, what's the statement here? Are you and Doc Rivers saying that these folks should have been gunned down, or that the hypothetical BLM folks who hypothetically could have been doing something there yesterday should not be hypothetically gunned down?

I mean, you either think the people who WERE there yesterday should have or should not have been gunned down. You can't use a non-event as a comparison tool. I maintain that D.C. police would have handled both things the same way, although, I think Trump might have perhaps mobilized the actual army had it been BLM...if that makes you feel better. But, that's Trump, and he's not going to be there much longer.

In terms of the treatment of the people who WERE there yesterday: For me, I don't think it would have been out of line to make examples out of a few more of them.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman