In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

January 10th, 2021 at 5:42:07 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Lots of “libbies” also have been fleeing blue states and moving to GA.

How’s that working out for you guys?
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
January 10th, 2021 at 6:18:14 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Quote: ams288
Lots of “libbies” also have been fleeing blue states and moving to GA.

Nothing but ruin wherever they go. They will do a lot more damage than General Sherman ever did.

January 10th, 2021 at 6:24:41 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Yeah, was going to point out too - all these people moving from blue states to red states are going to turn the red states more blue.

CA has a large surplus of blue voters. TX was surprisingly close, in my opinion.

I guess we will find out if they are fleeing high taxes after they flip those states blue - will they raise taxes then?
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
January 10th, 2021 at 6:31:54 AM permalink
Altstates93
Threads: 0
Quote: Tanko
People living there do not pay federal income tax since it is a U.S. territory. So naturally, the majority voted for statehood, and the extra 10-37% that will be taken out of their paychecks.

PR residents have 7-33% taken out of their paychecks already for PR taxes.

They also have a much lower threshold than the U.S. for that top bracket, $61,500. In the U.S. you have to pass at least $163,301 to trigger the 32% bracket.

In addition, a PR resident with income outside PR has a U.S. income tax responsibility.

I assume many people in PR reason that as long as they pay U.S. taxes, they should have the representation in Congress that statehood confers.
January 10th, 2021 at 6:46:12 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: odiousgambit
Giuliani provided some video footage that is being suppressed by mainstream. For the most part these videos were 'Trump's People', TP, if that is what we should call them, who put up resistance against the lawless behavior and/or were trying to make sure it was at least documented. The outraged crowd shouting "Antifa! Antifa!" is remarkable. Giuliani would have you conclude it was mostly Antifa and other violence prone lefties who did the breaking-in.

I'd say it was pertinent evidence but not convincing as to the "mostly" factor. We know for sure some of TP were involved in the worst behavior, such as the woman who got herself shot and killed. Some non-TP fringe right-wingers might have construed the "mostly" aspect, maybe, we don't know...G. doesn't go there.

But if all you watch is CNN, MSNBC, etc, you would conclude it was TP 100%.

Giuliani is concluding some dubious things in addition, but these videos are being suppressed, so hats off to showing them. Don't know why it was removed.

[edits]

I believe it and wouldn't conclude it was all one side or the other under any set of circumstances. Same thing with the BLM rioting, looting and burning last year, it offers a convenient excuse for those inclined to do things of this nature to go ahead and do it. I also imagine some of the people who did the stuff last year were actually pro-Trump.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
January 10th, 2021 at 6:48:26 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: terapined
Thats great
Kudos
I also use multiple sources
but
People have the freedom and right to use one source and there is nothing anybody can do about it and should not do anything about it
Its freedom.

It might be freedom, but does not change the fact that such a person is likely an idiot. Of course, most people in this country are idiots.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
January 10th, 2021 at 6:53:12 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: rxwine

I think it may be sedition for one leg of the Government to repeatedly claim the other parts (congress/courts) of government which have legally processed the issue he has -- for it to falsely claim illegal acts against it have been allowed -- that's sedition.

Your theory seems to be that it could be looked at as sedition to make claims that you have been wronged by the Government, in certain contexts. The problem with that theory is that is the principle reason the First Amendment even exists to begin with. There are certainly things a POTUS should not say, but I don't think a POTUS has made any sort of agreement to be stripped of his First Amendment rights upon taking office.

Another thing is that Trump isn't to blame. Trump is Trump. The people who voted for him in 2016 (largely white, male, Evangelical Christians from rural areas) are to blame.
January 10th, 2021 at 6:56:16 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: Evenbob
So what, it's as meaningless
as the first impeachment.
Trump won't run again anyway,
he'll be 79 in 2025. Older
than Senile Joe is now. The
biggest danger they fear
from Trump is him starting
his own media platform, which
he's looking into. And his
awesome ability to fire up the
base with rallies for GOP
candidates. Trump will keep
himself in the news more
than Biden for the next two
years. The payback bully in
Trump won't let him leave this
alone, that Bide stole a landslide
election from him.

I hope Trump does start his own media platform. It's tough to find good comedy.
January 10th, 2021 at 7:05:09 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Tanko
PR will become a state, whether or not Puerto Ricans like it. The dems intend to get those two seats to ensure permanent control of the Senate.

People living there do not pay federal income tax since it is a U.S. territory. So naturally, the majority voted for statehood, and the extra 10-37% that will be taken out of their paychecks.

True patriots.

Don't count out Guam for statehood.

Talk about a party full of losers
Its amazing how republicans just totally give up on voters
Take some lessons from Stacy Abrams instead of whining
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 10th, 2021 at 7:08:04 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: Evenbob
Here's more delusion. We have to get
back to Obama's 'New Normal' economy
ASAP. Raise taxes, keep unemployment
high, make sure all the new minority
businesses that are flourishing, make
sure they all fail.

Throw billions we don't have at
other countries in the name of
'climate change'. Rejoin the
Paris Accord. Now that we're
totally owned by China, get
rid of all Trump China policies.

Start packing SCOTUS with two
new Dems this year and two more
next year. Get rid of free speech
(that's already happening). Give
billions we don't have in reparations.
Open the border to millions of
homeless refugees. Forgive all
student loans and make all but
private colleges free. This alone will
cause a recession we can't even
visualize because it will effect
the banks. 2008 on steroids.

Phase out fracking, get us back to
$5 a gallon gas. Keep the fake
pandemic going as long as possible
by inflating covid deaths thru the
roof. It's already killed NYC, so
many small businesses gone forever
it's a ghost town. Tourists will
stay away for years.

And much much more really cool
Libbie stuff. Won't effect me that
much, I own my house and make
most of my income from Indian
casinio's. They will never close
them, too much revenue for the
state.

Retail Gas Prices for September 2000: $1.588

Retail Gas Prices September 2008: $3.756

Retail Gas Prices September 2016: $2.327

Retail Gas Prices September 2020: $2.274

https://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/hist/LeafHandler.ashx?n=pet&s=emm_epm0_pte_nus_dpg&f=m

Gas prices were clearly substantially lower in the last few months of Obama's term than they were in the last few months of Bush's term. Of course, all of this ignores that the POTUS (absent some sort of major action) doesn't actually directly influence the gas prices THAT much. They obviously fell off a cliff towards the end of Bush's term due to the Great Recession...which also occurred after eight years of a Republican POTUS...which he also had very little to do with.

I don't get why so many people believe the POTUS is the end all and be all of every economical occurrence in the world.

Manchin has already said that he's not going to vote to expand the SCOTUS. Manchin is basically going to be the blue version of McCain in this Senate.

The Liberals themselves are getting rid of free speech, at least effectively so, but not in the legal sense. It's not a Governmental thing.

I don't think Manchin is likely to vote in favor of free tuition, though I imagine full or partial student loan forgiveness is a possibility.