In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

January 10th, 2021 at 8:08:42 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Mission146
Your theory seems to be that it could be looked at as sedition to make claims that you have been wronged by the Government, in certain contexts. The problem with that theory is that is the principle reason the First Amendment even exists to begin with. There are certainly things a POTUS should not say, but I don't think a POTUS has made any sort of agreement to be stripped of his First Amendment rights upon taking office.

You'd have to look at how they prosecute some Mob cases where people are disguising their motives in indirect speech. If you can convince a jury that a word is obviously a code word for something else along with other evidence then you can make a case. Of course it can take a further investigation to uncover other evidence that we don't know about. Presidential conversations, etc.,
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 10th, 2021 at 8:10:21 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Names are so hard to remember, though. Might as well list only the parties. (sarcasm)

I am completely against party affilation on a ballot. That is a cause I could get behind when I retire.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
January 10th, 2021 at 8:16:16 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: rxwine

You'd have to look at how they prosecute some Mob cases where people are disguising their motives in indirect speech. If you can convince a jury that a word is obviously a code word for something else along with other evidence then you can make a case. Of course it can take a further investigation to uncover other evidence that we don't know about. Presidential conversations, etc.,

I'd say that would be the absolute bare minimum evidentiary standard for even making a case of that nature, which also doesn't necessarily mean that you'll be able to prove that case beyond a shadow of a doubt. I'm not saying that it's impossible to prove that Trump knew that speech would lead to that, simply that no such proof exists (that we know of) as yet AND that a literal interpretation of his words does not lend itself to that conclusion.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
January 10th, 2021 at 8:17:12 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: DRich
I am completely against party affilation on a ballot. That is a cause I could get behind when I retire.

I agree with that. I also don't think the, "Straight ticket," box should be an option, but it obviously wouldn't be, if the tickets didn't list party affiliation to begin with.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
January 10th, 2021 at 8:20:44 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
I agree with that. I also don't think the, "Straight ticket," box should be an option, but it obviously wouldn't be, if the tickets didn't list party affiliation to begin with.

I do not see what is wrong there. You pull many levers or just one. Big deal.
The President is a fink.
January 10th, 2021 at 8:21:55 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
I think the system shold change such that you vote on a list of issues and the candidate that most closely matches your position gets your vote. Let's get rid of the candidates names on the ballot. I could see about 30 issues listed which you vote for or against.

You have just elucidated what I call THE BIG PROBLEM. What if the person (Trump) wins that ‘list’? And that person is an imbecile? What to do? I voted for myself. I matched on all issues. But in the real world we get a PERSON attached to the ‘list of issues’. In NY, there are I would say literally millions of voters who do not like Cuomo that still voted for him. Probably tens of millions that voted for Trump that do not like him.
January 10th, 2021 at 8:22:20 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73

I am totally for it
Without it, I have no idea who to vote for down ballot
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 10th, 2021 at 8:25:48 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
What a hilarious story
Mother bans daughter from BLM protests because of violence
Yet
Mom gets into it in DC
Teen sees Mom on video and outs her on twitter
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/amphtml/clarissajanlim/teen-names-mom-trump-supporter-dc?__twitter_impression=true
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 10th, 2021 at 8:25:50 AM permalink
Altstates93
Threads: 0
Quote: Tanko
Yes. They pay payroll taxes, social security taxes, business taxes, gift taxes, estate taxes. Statehood will add an additional 10-37% on top of that. I guess they can afford it.

My point was that PR residents already have a level of taxation similar to, if not in some sense worse, than what they would have as a state.

If the U.S. admitted PR as a state, they would not add the U.S. tax rate on top of the current PR rates. It simply would not work like that.
January 10th, 2021 at 8:27:04 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: AZDuffman
I do not see what is wrong there. You pull many levers or just one. Big deal.

Without the straight ticket, people would at least have to briefly pretend to think about the choices.