In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

January 28th, 2021 at 8:38:36 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: AZDuffman
Some people are blinded by hate, selfishness, greed, and vindictiveness. Anyone cheering when someone else's taxes go up is full of all four.

Keep clutching those pearls.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
January 28th, 2021 at 8:39:26 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: kenarman
You still haven't figured out yet that corporate taxes are ultimately paid by the consumer have you. China is cheering as their plan works and the US will never be able to move the manufacturing back home.

If they raise taxes so the deficit is cut and the stocks still increase in value
Count me in
Best of both worlds and very much is possible
I believe a balance budget is best for the long term economy and companies will be more successful in a balanced budget economy
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 28th, 2021 at 8:44:56 AM permalink
terapined
Quote: odiousgambit
Commie-la tried to teach you the difference between 'equality', the thing all right-thinking people are indeed for, and 'equity', and here you are mixing them up.

I just want to live in a world where people are judged by the content of their character and not the color of their skin.
That's what I was referring to
That's why I'm a BLM supporter. Too many people are judged by color and not character
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 28th, 2021 at 9:03:40 AM permalink
terapined
Quote: ams288
The stock market is not the economy.

The Dow could drop 20,000 points tomorrow and I’d still be dancing in the streets over the fact that Donny is a one-term loser.

Stock market crushing it today
My personal leaders today Netflix and Disney hovering around 5% up each
Yea baby
Disney finally in positive territory since I bought
Netflix up a healthy 12% since I bought this past summer.
January 28th, 2021 at 9:10:53 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
https://www.macrotrends.net/1358/dow-jones-industrial-average-last-10-years

10 year DJIA graph.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
January 28th, 2021 at 9:54:46 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: odiousgambit
Commie-la tried to teach you the difference between 'equality', the thing all right-thinking people are indeed for, and 'equity', and here you are mixing them up. Of course, in that video she would let you believe you just have to snap your fingers and equity will happen for everyone. She doesn't explain how it is to be done, so I can see how you could be confused. They count on that, you know.
The far right? this is a matter for moderates to be opposed to, even left of center liberals. Nobody is going to just snap their fingers, they are talking about everybody starting out equal economically. Watch that video again and ask yourself if that sounds like reality, everybody starting out equal economically. Then ask yourself what these people are really up to ... maybe it turns out some animals might be 'more equal than others' like in 'Animal Farm' . Or Venezuela.

I don't think there is any question that we need "equity" in some cases. It's just an argument of what and where.

Providing a door for everyone may be equality, but equity is making sure some elderly or handicapped have a wheelchair ramp. That's equity. Call it commie if you like, but you'ed be on the wrong side with a wholesale dismissal.

At any rate, getting closer to equity is not a bad thing even it can't be achieved. But that's the way most problems have to be handled. For instance, there are real problems in achieving equity in the school system with really poor districts vs really rich districts, but that doesn't mean we should not do anything to improve it.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 28th, 2021 at 10:45:38 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: rxwine

At any rate, getting closer to equity is not a bad thing even it can't be achieved. But that's the way most problems have to be handled. For instance, there are real problems in achieving equity in the school system with really poor districts vs really rich districts, but that doesn't mean we should not do anything to improve it.

The issues in the "poor" school districts come from within. No district is really "poor" these days, schools are well funded. The answer is the parents in those schools have to start caring about educating their kids. The answer of integrating so you can "have white kids hanging around" is not going to cut it anymore, not enough white kids to go around.

There is zero reason a school district made up of "minorities" should keep being allowed to have a lower standard. Start firing people.
The President is a fink.
January 28th, 2021 at 11:48:12 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
The issues in the "poor" school districts come from within. No district is really "poor" these days, schools are well funded. The answer is the parents in those schools have to start caring about educating their kids. The answer of integrating so you can "have white kids hanging around" is not going to cut it anymore, not enough white kids to go around.

There is zero reason a school district made up of "minorities" should keep being allowed to have a lower standard. Start firing people.
My daughter has been home schooling most of the past year while AK. middle and hi schools have been shut down. The schools are about to be re opened, and I am predicting a tragedy in many schools where the parents for whatever reason weren't able to keep their children up to par in their education. Plus, there are schools with the policy of no failing students.

"The 2015 Program for International Student Assessment tests 15-year old students around the world. It's administered by the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development. The United States placed 24th out of 71 countries in science. It did worse in math, ranking 38th. " https://www.thebalance.com/the-u-s-is-losing-its-competitive-advantage-3306225

Now, subtract a year from kids education, and do to whatever [pc] rules, don't flunk any students.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
January 28th, 2021 at 1:00:41 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: petroglyph
My daughter has been home schooling most of the past year while AK. middle and hi schools have been shut down. The schools are about to be re opened, and I am predicting a tragedy in many schools where the parents for whatever reason weren't able to keep their children up to par in their education. Plus, there are schools with the policy of no failing students.

"The 2015 Program for International Student Assessment tests 15-year old students around the world. It's administered by the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development. The United States placed 24th out of 71 countries in science. It did worse in math, ranking 38th. " https://www.thebalance.com/the-u-s-is-losing-its-competitive-advantage-3306225

Now, subtract a year from kids education, and do to whatever [pc] rules, don't flunk any students.

The school model in the USA needs to change. We are using an old model that is designed to break people and get them used to unnaturally sit and work all day.

If I could I would get as much as possible automated. When I was in the lower grades the idea of a "teaching machine" was beign tried. Youtube and a few of the learning websites alone show how much you can learn automated.

Homeshcool interest has exploded during the china virus lockdowns. This is a very good thing.
The President is a fink.
January 28th, 2021 at 1:17:42 PM permalink
Tripdufan
Threads: 0
Quote: petroglyph

The school model in the USA needs to change. We are using an old model that is designed to break people and get them used to unnaturally sit and work all day.

If I could I would get as much as possible automated. When I was in the lower grades the idea of a "teaching machine" was beign tried. Youtube and a few of the learning websites alone show how much you can learn automated.

Homeshcool interest has exploded during the china virus lockdowns. This is a very good thing.

Yeah, I agree. It's hard to argue about our nation's education system and its inadequacies when millions of people just voted for a 2nd Trump term. Obviously, we aren't doing something right.