In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

March 30th, 2021 at 4:19:20 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: Gandler
I would need to do more research, but I think if you do not have a photo ID you need an SS card and a BC mailed in to verify.

You seem to need those things to get an ID for the first time in a given state, so that makes sense. I'd recommend just getting the ID, though, probably don't want your SSN floating around in the mail.

Quote:
The military ID is not obtuse, many people who are activated an oversees only have their military ID. And, yes this is something that is enforced. The only rare exception is certain secure medical places that need to scan a copy of your ID for medical purposes.

I agree that mail in ballots are more reasonable that a specific date and time. But, I am still not convinced that copying an ID and mailing it with your ballot makes any difference.

For examples the process to request a mail in ballot is pretty secure. You have to go online or call and request one with your personal information, it gets mailed to your address of record and receive updates via email and text on the status of the ballot. If somebody claimed my ballot (other than me) I would quickly know. The idea that somebody can easily request a bunch of mail in ballots that are not related to them is just not how it happens. There is already a signature verification and random audits of people who voted by mail. I just don't see how requiring a copy of an ID adds any more security. The primary example you bring up (and not just you it is a trend by that view), is people who live with people who are senile or mentally inept having their ballot filled out by others in their household. This is simply not a valid concern. If you are so far gone that others in your household take care of your mail, and personal affairs without your knowing, they will have easy access to your ID without you knowing. I am sure them signing it would trigger a realization of what is being sent for them far more than an ID scan. The idea that mailing a copy of your ID will change any of this, I just do not see it (and their certainly is not any evidence for it).

Mailing it in with your ballot clearly does make a difference by the logic of those who would prefer a copy of ID not be required. They argue that having to include a copy of ID makes it more difficult to vote, so by the same logic, it would make it more difficult to vote on someone else's behalf.

There's really no way to argue that it makes it more difficult to vote legitimately but does not make it harder to cast someone else's vote at the same time.

I'm not talking about a bunch of ballots that aren't related to them, per se, I'm talking about ballots within the same household.

When we're talking about people who are senile or mentally inept, another thing that would have to happen is that the ID (I would assume) would have to be current. Therefore, if their identification card is expired, now you'd have to drag them all the way to the DMV (or wherever you get state-issued ID in Georgia, in your case) in order for them to renew their identification.

Mainly, I'm just enjoying the argument being made that this very simple requirement makes it unfathomably hard to vote (legitimately), but wouldn't actually do anything to prevent fraudulent votes.

I'm not a Conservative, but on this one I'm willing to draw a line and say that if a person can't or would prefer not to vote in person---and that person doesn't want to obtain an ID or make a copy of that ID to mail in his/her ballot---he/she simply doesn't care about making his/her vote enough. It's not asking a hell of a lot to verify the voter is the voter by whatever means possible that aren't over and above how you'd verify anything else.

Hell, you arguing how easy it would be to still commit fraud even with the ID being required kind of makes the case on the side of people who don't want mail-in voting at all or want it to be extrememly limited for them. I'm not on that side, though, as I favor mail-in voting with a copy of ID required.

Actually, I would just give a full thirty day period to vote in advance of Election Day at a County Board of Elections and the only people who could vote by mail are people who anticipate being out of state for that entire time. If you're anywhere near the area, thirty days should be enough of a window for a person who cares at all to get it done.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
March 30th, 2021 at 9:13:43 AM permalink
fleaswatter
Threads: 3
March 30th, 2021 at 9:44:57 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
76 all-cash offers on one home. The housing madness shows no signs of slowing
Ellen Coleman had never received so many offers on a house in her 15 years of selling real estate.
She listed a fixer-upper in suburban Washington, DC for $275,000 on a Thursday. By Sunday evening, she had 88 offers.
"The offers just kept coming," she said. "I felt like Lucy with the chocolates. I'm thinking, 'This is just out of control.'"
Of those 88 offers, 76 were all-cash, said Coleman, who works for RE/MAX Realty Centre. There wasn't even enough time for all of the bidders to visit the property. She said 15 offers were sight unseen.

Story on housing market
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 30th, 2021 at 3:33:04 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: rxwine
76 all-cash offers on one home. The housing madness shows no signs of slowing
Ellen Coleman had never received so many offers on a house in her 15 years of selling real estate.
She listed a fixer-upper in suburban Washington, DC for $275,000 on a Thursday. By Sunday evening, she had 88 offers.
"The offers just kept coming," she said. "I felt like Lucy with the chocolates. I'm thinking, 'This is just out of control.'"
Of those 88 offers, 76 were all-cash, said Coleman, who works for RE/MAX Realty Centre. There wasn't even enough time for all of the bidders to visit the property. She said 15 offers were sight unseen.

Story on housing market

Wow
Maybe I should not of sold
But
I'm happy and thats what counts
When I put my house on the market
I was pricing for a fast sale
Of course I got cash offers immediately but under my asking price
I held firm
Somebody else bought after a couple of weeks and I got my asking price. No negotiation.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 30th, 2021 at 3:39:09 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Matt Gaetz and a 17 year old
Hmm
Not looking good for you Matt
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 30th, 2021 at 3:42:36 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: Mission146
You seem to need those things to get an ID for the first time in a given state, so that makes sense. I'd recommend just getting the ID, though, probably don't want your SSN floating around in the mail.

Mailing it in with your ballot clearly does make a difference by the logic of those who would prefer a copy of ID not be required. They argue that having to include a copy of ID makes it more difficult to vote, so by the same logic, it would make it more difficult to vote on someone else's behalf.

There's really no way to argue that it makes it more difficult to vote legitimately but does not make it harder to cast someone else's vote at the same time.

I'm not talking about a bunch of ballots that aren't related to them, per se, I'm talking about ballots within the same household.

When we're talking about people who are senile or mentally inept, another thing that would have to happen is that the ID (I would assume) would have to be current. Therefore, if their identification card is expired, now you'd have to drag them all the way to the DMV (or wherever you get state-issued ID in Georgia, in your case) in order for them to renew their identification.

Mainly, I'm just enjoying the argument being made that this very simple requirement makes it unfathomably hard to vote (legitimately), but wouldn't actually do anything to prevent fraudulent votes.

I'm not a Conservative, but on this one I'm willing to draw a line and say that if a person can't or would prefer not to vote in person---and that person doesn't want to obtain an ID or make a copy of that ID to mail in his/her ballot---he/she simply doesn't care about making his/her vote enough. It's not asking a hell of a lot to verify the voter is the voter by whatever means possible that aren't over and above how you'd verify anything else.

Hell, you arguing how easy it would be to still commit fraud even with the ID being required kind of makes the case on the side of people who don't want mail-in voting at all or want it to be extrememly limited for them. I'm not on that side, though, as I favor mail-in voting with a copy of ID required.

Actually, I would just give a full thirty day period to vote in advance of Election Day at a County Board of Elections and the only people who could vote by mail are people who anticipate being out of state for that entire time. If you're anywhere near the area, thirty days should be enough of a window for a person who cares at all to get it done.

I just don't agree. I am not saying it is a huge hardship (well for some it may be, such as homebound elderly people who do not have people to help them scan something). The act of copying an ID is not hard or encumbering to me personally. But, my main point, is it is an extra step that does not accomplish anything and puts at risk IDs. What happens to all of the scans of IDs that get mailed in? Do they get destroyed, or filed for an audit? It just seems like an extra step (that may be an encumbrance for some), that puts your identity at risk for no real benefit.

I do not know of any other state that does this? Well, I am wrong, there are several others (and you can see the trend), also this charity sees to exist for the sole purpose of coming to your house or receiving from email and printing IDs for you, its a pretty cool concept that there are groups that are eager to help, they will even give you a stamp when they drop off your voting packet:
https://www.voteriders.org/photocopy/
(There is also a list on this page of states that require an ID copy).
March 30th, 2021 at 6:46:24 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: terapined
Matt Gaetz and a 17 year old
Hmm
Not looking good for you Matt

Age of consent in Florida is 18.

Righties always accusing everyone they disagree with of being pedophiles. Of course it’s projection.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
March 30th, 2021 at 7:10:19 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: ams288
Age of consent in Florida is 18.

Righties always accusing everyone they disagree with of being pedophiles. Of course it’s projection.

Was he accused of having sex with her or just trafficking her?
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
March 30th, 2021 at 7:21:30 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: DRich
Was he accused of having sex with her or just trafficking her?

“Sexual relationship”
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
March 30th, 2021 at 7:44:16 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: ams288
“Sexual relationship”

Clearly he did it in the wrong state. Aren't most states age of consent 16? I know Nevada is.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.