In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

March 31st, 2021 at 4:52:52 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: Gandler

I just don't agree. I am not saying it is a huge hardship (well for some it may be, such as homebound elderly people who do not have people to help them scan something). The act of copying an ID is not hard or encumbering to me personally. But, my main point, is it is an extra step that does not accomplish anything and puts at risk IDs. What happens to all of the scans of IDs that get mailed in? Do they get destroyed, or filed for an audit? It just seems like an extra step (that may be an encumbrance for some), that puts your identity at risk for no real benefit.

I do not know of any other state that does this? Well, I am wrong, there are several others (and you can see the trend), also this charity sees to exist for the sole purpose of coming to your house or receiving from email and printing IDs for you, its a pretty cool concept that there are groups that are eager to help, they will even give you a stamp when they drop off your voting packet:
https://www.voteriders.org/photocopy/
(There is also a list on this page of states that require an ID copy).

I should assume that the IDs get temporarily put away for an audit, then when the time period for any such audit elapses, would be destroyed. I don't disagree with you that it puts personal information at risk---though I guess the only thing that they would have that could not be acquired just from having your name is your specific date of birth. I hope that states aren't putting SSN on driver's license anymore as I think Missouri may have once done, (Your DL# was the same) but I want to say there's a federal law that you can't do that anymore.

I'll also admit that I'm arguing from a somewhat weak position. It's the same thing as someone asking, "Well, why do you need a safe if you've never been robbed?" There's no way to demonstrate that mail voting fraud is being prevented if the fraud does not occur.

Personally, I'd not mail in my vote (unless it was my only choice) because I want my vote to actually get there and I don't trust the USPS any further than I can throw a wall of P.O. Boxes.

Anyway, if having to include the ID in the mail voting incentivizes physical voting, then I'm for that. Mail voting is something that I think should be available, but I don't know how anyone can come to the conclusion that it is more secure than voting in person.

That's the kind of charity that I've been talking about. If people consider having to even obtain an ID too onerous a task, or too expensive, then they can also set up a charity for that.

Previously, I voted in Ohio, which is a state that requires ID whether you're voting by mail or in person. Same thing in Pennsylvania. Both states have forms of ID that are acceptable for in-person voting that do not have to be photo ID. Bank statement, paycheck, utility bill, Government check.......I mean, you'd have to have absolutely nothing to not be able to vote. No job, not collecting anything from the Government, no bank account, no state ID, no Federal ID, no military ID (which you say technically you shouldn't be able to use), no passport, no utilities in your name.

Other than the fact that you're registered to vote; (which means they had some ID on you at some point) you pretty much have no other way of proving you are who you say you are.

My point is, the whole ID thing (especially with some of the non-photo ID's that are permitted) is a pretty thin crack for a person to fall through not to have any of these in those two states. In my opinion, it's really not asking for a lot when it comes to proving who you are.

I'm also not arguing that voter fraud is rampant, or anything, that's not my position at all. My position is simply that requiring ID for mail-in ballots is a reasonable thing to require to deter same house voter fraud. It doesn't prevent anything. Maybe someone decides it's not worth the hassle to drive to the nursing home to go digging around in Grandma's smelly purse for her ID, that sort of thing.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
March 31st, 2021 at 5:00:31 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: DRich
Clearly he did it in the wrong state. Aren't most states age of consent 16? I know Nevada is.

I don't know about, "Most," but I know some that are, such as Ohio.

The reason I looked into that was because, when I managed the hotel, there was an adult staying there with a girl who I heard say she had just turned seventeen. It was somewhat evident that they were a couple, though he was much older. Therefore, I looked up the laws on that to make sure that I was not failing to report felony statutory rape, but I wasn't as no crime whatsoever was taking place.

It wasn't out of any personal concern, strictly business. I think 16 is a reasonable age of consent, though I would maintain that for any adult outside of early college years to engage in sexual congress with a 16 year old seems pretty F'd up to me.

West Virginia's age of consent (at least, at one time) was fifteen...sort of. The difference in age between the adult and the minor is or was relevant in West Virginia, so technically I think the age of consent was 18 UNLESS the other person was three, or fewer, years older than you. I looked that one up because I lived in West Virginia at the time I turned eighteen, so it might have become relevant at some point. It didn't, though, most of my partners at that time were in their mid-20's, or older.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
March 31st, 2021 at 6:00:28 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Mission146
I don't know about, "Most," but I know some that are, such as Ohio.

The reason I looked into that was because, when I managed the hotel, there was an adult staying there with a girl who I heard say she had just turned seventeen. It was somewhat evident that they were a couple, though he was much older. Therefore, I looked up the laws on that to make sure that I was not failing to report felony statutory rape, but I wasn't as no crime whatsoever was taking place.

It wasn't out of any personal concern, strictly business. I think 16 is a reasonable age of consent, though I would maintain that for any adult outside of early college years to engage in sexual congress with a 16 year old seems pretty F'd up to me.

West Virginia's age of consent (at least, at one time) was fifteen...sort of. The difference in age between the adult and the minor is or was relevant in West Virginia, so technically I think the age of consent was 18 UNLESS the other person was three, or fewer, years older than you. I looked that one up because I lived in West Virginia at the time I turned eighteen, so it might have become relevant at some point. It didn't, though, most of my partners at that time were in their mid-20's, or older.

I always thought the "years difference" thing was important. Too many guys tagged with a sex offender tag because some girl's parents got wise. On one hand we all know what is going on with a 15 year old girl dating an 18 year old guy. But OTOH I do not feel that is such a crime when the woman is willing.
The President is a fink.
March 31st, 2021 at 6:13:40 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: AZDuffman
I always thought the "years difference" thing was important. Too many guys tagged with a sex offender tag because some girl's parents got wise. On one hand we all know what is going on with a 15 year old girl dating an 18 year old guy. But OTOH I do not feel that is such a crime when the woman is willing.

I think the, "Years difference," thing is a reasonable aspect of the law. I think it's reasonable that a high schooler (who is in the grade that he/she is, 'Supposed,' to be in) should generally be able to engage in consensual sexual congress with another high schooler with impunity.
March 31st, 2021 at 6:19:24 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: AZDuffman

Probably be best for you to stay out of discussions on this topic.

(See my signature for explanation)
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
March 31st, 2021 at 2:21:42 PM permalink
Tripdufan
Threads: 0
A Trump champion...

https://www.vox.com/2021/3/31/22359953/matt-gaetz-tucker-carlson-interview-sex-trafficking-allegations

I can't put into words how much I think the GOP of 2021 sucks. Another piece of garbage human being in Trump's corner. Only "the best people".
March 31st, 2021 at 4:27:18 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Tripdufan
A Trump champion...

https://www.vox.com/2021/3/31/22359953/matt-gaetz-tucker-carlson-interview-sex-trafficking-allegations

I can't put into words how much I think the GOP of 2021 sucks. Another piece of garbage human being in Trump's corner. Only "the best people".

Gaetz is linked to a convicted sex trafficker. (in a picture that also includes Roger Stone. ((Naw, not Epstein})

Gaetz also is the only member of the house who didn't vote for a beefed up sex trafficking law.

Awwww,, all unfortunate coincidences I'm sure.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 31st, 2021 at 5:30:53 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: rxwine

Gaetz also is the only member of the house who didn't vote for a beefed up sex trafficking law.

Awwww,, all unfortunate coincidences I'm sure.

Wow
Very telling
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 31st, 2021 at 6:00:17 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/crime-courts/2021/03/31/fairbanks-retrieves-pistol-from-his-car-to-stop-robbery-attempt/

"A Fairbanks man stopped an attempted robbery at a gas station by pointing his gun at the suspect and holding him until law enforcement arrived, authorities said."
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
March 31st, 2021 at 6:19:31 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: terapined
Wow
Very telling

I wonder how the QAnon crazies are taking this news.

Everyone they disagree with always gets labeled “pedo.”

What happens when one of their idols gets caught?
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman