In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

May 5th, 2021 at 6:52:03 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Tanko
Powell said he hopes not to raise interest rates before 2023. At 11AM yesterday, Yellen said interest rates may have to increase. That caused the Dow to immediately fall 100 points. Then she backed off and the Dow recovered to end up 20 points.

That shows how sensitive the market is, to even the hint of an interest rate hike.

Renovations on an apartment or home cost 25% more than they would have, one year ago. Lumber is up 340% in the past twelve months. Plumbing supplies up 20%. Drywall up 7%. Paint up 60%.

There are a number of reasons for these increases, aside from government policy, but sustained inflation above 2% could push the Fed to increase interest rates, which will likely cause a market correction, and a deflation of the housing bubble.

Since 2009 the economy has been smoking Blue Sky Meth in the form of almost zero interest rates. That it has lasted as long as it has is amazing. That it is even worse in other parts of the world even more amazing. Not the china virus has caused all kinds of problems. But the problems are half helping parts. The SAAR for auto sales is over 18MM! While we have a chip shortage that among other things has 22,000 Super Duty trucks waiting for final install.

Automakers cannot make cars yet are making a fortune on what they can make. Still disrupted from the 100 or so day shutdown last year. That is just one industry. In many things in 2020 demand fell 50% but supply 100% during lockdowns. Now that hiccup is making everything go nuts.

Enjoy your interesting times.
The President is a fink.
May 5th, 2021 at 6:54:47 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
I’m closing on a refinance of my mortgage today. Had to take advantage of the low interest rates while I could!
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
May 5th, 2021 at 8:07:16 AM permalink
ams288
lol.... some of these righties are just too dumb to function.

May 5th, 2021 at 8:58:37 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
WTF
Supreme Court has no standing to rule on FB
There is nothing in the constitution that prevents this
Charlie Kirk needs to go back to school
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
May 5th, 2021 at 9:49:29 AM permalink
ams288
Watch one of the hosts of Fox and Friends get triggered live on TV by a 6th grader this morning:

https://twitter.com/revrrlewis/status/1389906290588127236?s=21
May 5th, 2021 at 1:04:53 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: ams288
Watch one of the hosts of Fox and Friends get triggered live on TV by a 6th grader this morning:

https://twitter.com/revrrlewis/status/1389906290588127236?s=21
You probably have no comprehension of this, but Brian was reacting because the kid was stating a political answer to a softball kiddie question "what do you miss about being in school?".

Now you and I know Fox News was using this in a political way, to have kids on the show at all on this topic is loaded. The boy would not figure it out himself at that age though. At that age you're just excited to be on TV, immediately thinking " I miss my friends" and stuff like that, you don't go to "it makes me want to compare the Presidents" . Somebody put the kid up to it, or at best he lives in a household where politics is so important the kids need to know all the talking points.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
May 5th, 2021 at 1:08:08 PM permalink
ams288
Quote: odiousgambit
You probably have no comprehension of this, but Brian was reacting because the kid was stating a political answer to a softball kiddie question "what do you miss about being in school?".

Now you and I know Fox News was using this in a political way, to have kids on the show at all on this topic is loaded. The boy would not figure it out himself at that age though. At that age you're just excited to be on TV, immediately thinking " I miss my friends" and stuff like that, you don't go to "it makes me want to compare the Presidents" . Somebody put the kid up to it, or at best he lives in a household where politics is so important the kids need to know all the talking points.

Maybe the grown man should have just let the kid’s swipe at Donny go unchallenged. Is that so hard? 😂
May 5th, 2021 at 1:44:18 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Maybe the grown man should have just let the kid’s swipe at Donny go unchallenged. Is that so hard? 😂

You mean just like you let anything positive said about Trump go unchallenged?
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
May 5th, 2021 at 1:50:37 PM permalink
ams288
Quote: kenarman
You mean just like you let anything positive said about Trump go unchallenged?

So you’re saying anyone here who says anything positive about Donny is the equivalent of a 6th grader. 🤣🤣🤣
May 5th, 2021 at 1:59:34 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Best policy, sure. He was probably furious at the producer or whoever for not screening better and couldn't help himself.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]