In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

June 10th, 2021 at 6:00:49 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
There is no labor shortage. There is a *cheap labor* shortage.

Employers that pay a decent wage are fine. Employers that want to pay their slaves $7.25/hour are suffering - AS THEY SHOULD BE.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
June 10th, 2021 at 7:19:08 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: ams288
There is no labor shortage. There is a *cheap labor* shortage.

Employers that pay a decent wage are fine. Employers that want to pay their slaves $7.25/hour are suffering - AS THEY SHOULD BE.

Exactly. Employers need a scenario to encourage higher wages and better benefits.
June 10th, 2021 at 7:25:52 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Gandler
Exactly. Employers need a scenario to encourage higher wages and better benefits.

Well, you can pay $9 for a burrito to help make it happen.
The President is a fink.
June 10th, 2021 at 7:45:16 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: AZDuffman

Heck if the fast food industry went out of business, it would likely be an improvement overall.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 10th, 2021 at 8:11:24 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: rxwine
Heck if the fast food industry went out of business, it would likely be an improvement overall.

How do you figure? All those jobs lost, and it is a place to get a meal at a reasonable price.
The President is a fink.
June 10th, 2021 at 8:18:44 AM permalink
rxwine
How do you figure? All those jobs lost, and it is a place to get a meal at a reasonable price.

About the same reason tobacco industry workers should find new jobs.

Aren’t you the one who believes that creation of new occupations is a given when a old occupation disappears. What’d all those people do before the fast food industry proliferated?
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 10th, 2021 at 8:37:05 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: rxwine
About the same reason tobacco industry workers should find new jobs.

Aren’t you the one who believes that creation of new occupations is a given when a old occupation disappears. What’d all those people do before the fast food industry proliferated?

What do tobacco and fast food have to do with each other?

Yes, it is called "creative destruction." But how would it be good if the fast-food industry just died? They provide a product people like. And they are a great way to get an inexpensive meal prepared quickly. Not to mention they are a great first job for a huge part of the population.

Why do you say it would be good if all that just disappeared?
The President is a fink.
June 10th, 2021 at 8:37:59 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29

I’m assuming this is in reference to Chipotle raising their prices by 4% to cover the higher cost of labor. FOUR PERCENT

I eat at Chipotle maybe 4-5 times a year. I’d estimate that equals $1-$1.25 extra I will have to pay TOTAL per year.

I’m fine with that!
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
June 10th, 2021 at 8:45:23 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: ams288
I’m assuming this is in reference to Chipotle raising their prices by 4% to cover the higher cost of labor. FOUR PERCENT

I eat at Chipotle maybe 4-5 times a year. I’d estimate that equals $1-$1.25 extra I will have to pay TOTAL per year.

I’m fine with that!

I've personally raised my own take out food restaurant prices since the virus started
Before the virus, I rarely tipped for takeout
Because restaurants struggled during the virus
I now add a tip to my takeout to help out the employees
and
I dont use grubhub or uber eats, always pick up myself
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
June 10th, 2021 at 9:09:32 AM permalink
rxwine
What do tobacco and fast food have to do with each other?

https://www.healthline.com/health/fast-food-effects-on-body

Not saying there aren't healthy choices but in general the easy and cheap promotion of fast food promotes the following.

Quote:
Fast food is typically loaded with calories, sodium, and unhealthy fat—often enough in one meal for an entire day. It also tends to be low in nutrients and almost totally lacking in fruit, vegetables, and fiber.