In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

June 8th, 2021 at 5:07:41 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
They probably shared needles when shooting up.

Ah, the price of fame ...
June 8th, 2021 at 7:37:41 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: ams288
Honestly, no one cares what Cher tweets.

I can’t believe you devoted that much time to posting about it.

I can’t believe how often you post when you have absolutely nothing to add…..
June 8th, 2021 at 8:00:48 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
There is a lot of pressure in the media (especially on the left) for the minimum hourly wage to be raised to fifteen (15) USD an hour (15/hr). This may make me unpopular with many on the left, but I do not see the need right now.

I can only speak of where I live (so I am happy to be corrected if wrong), but there is a massive labor shortage for all jobs (especially entry level jobs). I see the ads, not just on craigslist and online, but actual posting on their physical signs of starting wages or restaurants, retail jobs etc.... You can work at just about any fast food restaurant and start at 15/hr-16/hr (I drive by countless signs everyday). Retail stores are similar. And, there are more "rough" jobs (that you can start with minimal skills or experience) making far more. Honestly, if you are working (tip based workers may be the exceptions), and making less than 15/hr, you are doing something wrong (or not willing to apply for a job). You can walk into at least a dozen fast food restaurants that I see everyday and start at 15/hr-16hr (often advertised as "start same day"), and where I live that is actually a more than livable wage if single (compared to maybe some more expensive States that seem more concerned about raising the wage). The free market (the local labor shortage, which I am sure is nation-wide) has already raised the minimum wage, and will continue to do so. I see first hand the ads (signs) being raised to compete with other businesses that have the same or higher wage. Right now is a great time to be an entry level worker. When I was in High School I would never imagine such an hourly wage. I just do not see the need for a Federal increase, if even in such a low cost of living State businesses are desperate to pay more to attract applicants (I imagine in other States it is even higher).

I am extremely left. But, the minimum wage is one thing I have never been on board with (well I support a minimum wage, even raising it, but 15/hr seems overboard, I can understand the arguments for around 10/hr or so since that is accurate to the original adjusted for inflation). There is just such an abundance of jobs and such a shortage of labor that right now I do not see the argument (even if there were a 15/hr minimum wage it would be competed away when nearby businesses are trying to get local applicants to the point where it would still be unneeded).

Employers are literally littering the streets with signs to say that they will pay above 15/hr to no experienced applicants just to get boots on the ground because they cannot even fill entry-level roles.
June 9th, 2021 at 11:03:44 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Gandler

Employers are literally littering the streets with signs to say that they will pay above 15/hr to no experienced applicants just to get boots on the ground because they cannot even fill entry-level roles.

Once the expanded Federal unemployment runs out people will start applying for them. Sadly, many unemployed people have more money right now than they have ever had.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
June 9th, 2021 at 12:20:38 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: DRich
Once the expanded Federal unemployment runs out people will start applying for them. Sadly, many unemployed people have more money right now than they have ever had.

It’s funny, I was JUST reading something about how GOP-controlled states that ended their extended UI benefits early have seen no measurable increase in people seeking jobs compared to states that still have the expanded UI.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
June 9th, 2021 at 12:46:01 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: ams288
It’s funny, I was JUST reading something about how GOP-controlled states that ended their extended UI benefits early have seen no measurable increase in people seeking jobs compared to states that still have the expanded UI.

immigrants will take those jobs
Bring down the wall
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
June 9th, 2021 at 3:25:55 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: terapined
immigrants will take those jobs
Bring down the wall

I am all for (legal) immigration. But, we do not need a flood of labor right now. I actually think the labor shortage is a great thing for worker's rights. For once employers actually have to compete just to get applicants for basic entry-level jobs. This is forcing increased wages and benefits for many jobs that would have never dreamed of offering such in the past. (When I was in high school the idea of a fast food restaurant or retail store having to offer entry-level workers over 2x the minimum wage, generous PTO, and medical benefits, and still are unable to get positions filled would be unfathomable, even in a State with a high cost of living).

I think an abundance of jobs and shortage of workers is a good thing. For once it is putting the power in the hands of the workers. This is one reason that I think UBI is desirable, it would force employers to be competitive as people would be more able to shop around and find jobs that they are interested in, and less desirable jobs would have to offer far better incentives to get any applicants.

Even "Gig Economy jobs" (like Uber) are being forced to pay their "contractors" vastly higher rates (and still have a driver shortage), have you taken an Uber to a bar recently, notice how the price is way up, and the wait time is 2-3x what it used to be (if there is even any drivers available at all)? This is also because of the labor shortage. Pay and conditions for workers are getting better across the board.
June 9th, 2021 at 3:39:30 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Looks like we may have to worry about brain damage from unknown weapons.

Quote:
Some U.S. officials suspect the so-called Havana Syndrome could be an unintentional byproduct of foreign efforts to collect intelligence from U.S. government employees’ electronic devices — and they are now concerned that America’s adversaries may have weaponized the tactic to intentionally cause physical harm.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 9th, 2021 at 5:31:50 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I am all for (legal) immigration. But, we do not need a flood of labor right now. I actually think the labor shortage is a great thing for worker's rights. For once employers actually have to compete just to get applicants for basic entry-level jobs. This is forcing increased wages and benefits for many jobs that would have never dreamed of offering such in the past. (When I was in high school the idea of a fast food restaurant or retail store having to offer entry-level workers over 2x the minimum wage, generous PTO, and medical benefits, and still are unable to get positions filled would be unfathomable, even in a State with a high cost of living).

I think an abundance of jobs and shortage of workers is a good thing. For once it is putting the power in the hands of the workers. This is one reason that I think UBI is desirable, it would force employers to be competitive as people would be more able to shop around and find jobs that they are interested in, and less desirable jobs would have to offer far better incentives to get any applicants.

Even "Gig Economy jobs" (like Uber) are being forced to pay their "contractors" vastly higher rates (and still have a driver shortage), have you taken an Uber to a bar recently, notice how the price is way up, and the wait time is 2-3x what it used to be (if there is even any drivers available at all)? This is also because of the labor shortage. Pay and conditions for workers are getting better across the board.

I'm up for doubling or tripling penalties on smugglers caught bringing unaccompanied kids 12 or under. We definitely need to make it very bad to bring kids that age without at least one parent. (I just kind of picked 12 or under, but generally minors of some age)

And i don't know why anyone would be for that kind of situation being anything but heavily penalized.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 10th, 2021 at 2:54:58 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135

You are seeing right now why UBI will not work. Jobs going begging while people prefer to sit at home and refuse to work. Meanwhile inflation starting to run wild due to all the money printing.
The President is a fink.