In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

November 14th, 2021 at 12:29:47 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Mission146
What does that have to do with demand? Even if you were correct, it wouldn't do anything to thew substantial uptick in demand.

Why are you asking?

Quote:
We were oil independent under Trump; I'll give you that. What I won't give you is why we were oil independent under Trump, or, I'll give very partial credit.

We were oil independent for the primary reason of there being virtually no demand as compared to previous years, much of such decline in demand coming about by way of the very Covid-19 related shutdowns that both you and I lamented and disagreed with. People had nowhere to go, and in some states, all but essential businesses were closed...so both consumer and distribution demand for fuel dropped precipitously.

We were oil independent before the china virus killed demand. We were oil independent due to fracking and other drilling techniques.

Quote:
That doesn't mean we stopped importing, because we didn't. Where Trump does get credit is that he took it as an opportunity to fill up the strategic oil reserves, which is what made us technically energy independent. Were we independent in the sense that we stopped importing---no---but we were independent in the sense that we had more available to us than we were actually using.

Yes, we imported. This is because our refineries were set up for arabian grades of oil not the grades found in places like North Dakota. Importing some grades while exporting others makes sense. We exported AK oil to Japan in the 1990s for example. The point is if we had to changeover the refineries we could if there was a cutoff. Now we have a POTUS who seems to not even want us energy independent.

Bottom line is you need to keep finding new sources. Biden has actually stopped exploration in canceling leases. So on him blame goes.
The President is a fink.
November 14th, 2021 at 1:06:00 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: AZDuffman
Why are you asking?

It's rhetorical; I already know the answer. Demand does what demand does in the relative short-term regardless of the policies. Ironically, it was the (State) Government shutdowns (in those states that did it---generally blue) that were largely responsible for the declines in demand that (partially) enabled such temporary oil independence to begin with.

IOW, if we didn't use oil at all, we would be independent, by definition, even independent of our own oil.

Quote:
We were oil independent before the china virus killed demand. We were oil independent due to fracking and other drilling techniques.

We were energy independent prior to Covid-19 killing demand. In other words, our energy production exceeded what energy we were consuming, but those gains weren't such that we were oil independent. As you mentioned, those gains were largely in natural gas. If you look at oil specifically:

https://www.bts.gov/content/overview-us-petroleum-production-imports-exports-and-consumption-million-barrels-day

We have not produced more than we have consumed in many, many years...2020 included. Specifically, 2020 was the only year for which we were a net exporter, but even that being the case, we still produced less than we used...though that gap was the smallest it had ever been.

Again, what made us technically oil independent was the fact that Trump filled up the strategic reserves at a bargain basement price. I give him tremendous credit for that because it's objectively true...I don't know what else you want.

Quote:

Yes, we imported. This is because our refineries were set up for arabian grades of oil not the grades found in places like North Dakota. Importing some grades while exporting others makes sense. We exported AK oil to Japan in the 1990s for example. The point is if we had to changeover the refineries we could if there was a cutoff. Now we have a POTUS who seems to not even want us energy independent.

Bottom line is you need to keep finding new sources. Biden has actually stopped exploration in canceling leases. So on him blame goes.

Well, you can put long-term blame on him. My entire point is that the PRIMARY mover is demand and I explained why that demand is the case and why there isn't anything even Trump could have done about the prices going up. Again, he might have been able to slightly mitigate the price increases in the short-term, but you wouldn't be paying January 17th prices at the pump in either case.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
November 14th, 2021 at 1:42:01 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: Mission146
It's rhetorical; I already know the answer. Demand does what demand does in the relative short-term regardless of the policies. Ironically, it was the (State) Government shutdowns (in those states that did it---generally blue) that were largely responsible for the declines in demand that (partially) enabled such temporary oil independence to begin with.

IOW, if we didn't use oil at all, we would be independent, by definition, even independent of our own oil.

We were energy independent prior to Covid-19 killing demand. In other words, our energy production exceeded what energy we were consuming, but those gains weren't such that we were oil independent. As you mentioned, those gains were largely in natural gas. If you look at oil specifically:

https://www.bts.gov/content/overview-us-petroleum-production-imports-exports-and-consumption-million-barrels-day

We have not produced more than we have consumed in many, many years...2020 included. Specifically, 2020 was the only year for which we were a net exporter, but even that being the case, we still produced less than we used...though that gap was the smallest it had ever been.

Again, what made us technically oil independent was the fact that Trump filled up the strategic reserves at a bargain basement price. I give him tremendous credit for that because it's objectively true...I don't know what else you want.

Well, you can put long-term blame on him. My entire point is that the PRIMARY mover is demand and I explained why that demand is the case and why there isn't anything even Trump could have done about the prices going up. Again, he might have been able to slightly mitigate the price increases in the short-term, but you wouldn't be paying January 17th prices at the pump in either case.

Mission the demand went up for the first 3 years of Trumps presidency according to the Bureau of Transportation stats. The net amount of oil imported fell in each of those years. In 2020 both fell and that has more to do with Covid than anything else. Present any stats you have to back up your claim on falling demand during Trumps presidency.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
November 14th, 2021 at 1:52:49 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: kenarman

Mission the demand went up for the first 3 years of Trumps presidency according to the Bureau of Transportation stats. The net amount of oil imported fell in each of those years. In 2020 both fell and that has more to do with Covid than anything else. Present any stats you have to back up your claim on falling demand during Trumps presidency.

You know the link in that post of mine you just quoted? Did you open it and look at the table? Line 11, "US Petroleum Consumption." We literally used less than we had in any prior year in recent history, so I'm not even using the term demand in the abstract. The link in my post on the previous page talks about gasoline demand as measured by millions of barrels per day.

You are correct that the net imports fell every year of his Presidency until 2020, during which year we were actually a net exporter. It's really straightforward, we never produced more than we actually used. That said, doesn't change that we were a net exporter in 2020 or that we would have had enough on average for the year (Production + Reserves) that we wouldn't have needed to import any.

I don't know how GOP plans to find any middle ground with anyone when I'm trying to give Trump credit for something and that's not even good enough for you.

I'm only talking about falling demand in 2020, because that is the only year in which we were a net oil exporter.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
November 14th, 2021 at 7:46:03 PM permalink
fleaswatter
Threads: 3
Why has Mitch Landrieu been assigned to oversee the infrastructure plan?

It is telling that the * administration does not have confidence in neither the Secretary of Transportation** nor the vice president*** to handle the job.

* dear leader poopy pants crop dusting house plant dementia joe bidumb
**mayor pete buttplug
*** heeles up kommie-la hair ass
Let's go Brandon
November 14th, 2021 at 8:47:42 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Not telling at all. It's a big project in itself, and deserves one person who can provide individual attention.

Pretty common actually for big projects.

Quote:
In the United States, the informal political term "czar" or "tsar" is employed in media and popular usage to refer to high-level officials who oversee a particular policy. There have never been any U.S. government offices with the title "czar", but various governmental officials have sometimes been referred to by the nickname "czar" rather than their actual title.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 15th, 2021 at 6:45:52 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote:
"Brass Against", a band known for performing brass versions of rock songs, has issued an apology after its lead singer peed on a fan’s face at a festival in Daytona Beach last week.

During a set at Welcome to Rockville on Thursday night, singer Sophia Urista pulled down her pants on stage and peed on a (surprisingly willing) fan mid-song. On Friday, the band posted an apology on Twitter, assuring fans that it wasn’t a planned stunt.

I'd rather see Ozzy bite off the head of a bat, I think.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 15th, 2021 at 7:16:54 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: rxwine
I'd rather see Ozzy bite off the head of a bat, I think.

Is she Russian? Was it Trump?
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
November 15th, 2021 at 7:18:36 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote: kenarman
Is she Russian? Was it Trump?

All of the above, I'm sure.
November 15th, 2021 at 7:59:42 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
WTF Michael Flynn
One religion in the USA
This guy was National security advidsor????
I wouldn't trust him to guard and secure my RV
What a loony tune
Demanding only one religion in America is about as
un- American as you can get
https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-national-security-adviser-michael-flynn-one-national-religion-christianity-2021-11
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"