In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

February 2nd, 2022 at 7:36:53 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: kenarman
Only one time did I hire someone I didn't know I needed. He happened to catch me on a day I had time to see him. I wasn't looking for anyone but had a coffee while a chatted with him. His skill set, experience and attitude impressed me so much I offered him a job. I told him I wasn't even sure what his job would be at that point but I could keep him busy and virtually created a job for him.

Always hire good people when you have the chance. There are so few of them if you get the opportunity just hire them.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
February 2nd, 2022 at 7:42:30 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: RonC
Whoopi got two weeks off.

The View is unwatchable for me. It isn’t that they hold positions different than I do; many people do. The ladies are mostly just not nice people.

Lots of people watch it…and I am glad we are all not alike…

Cancel culture is out of control….

Just kidding. Can’t imagine anything I would care less about than who is currently hosting The View.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
February 2nd, 2022 at 8:06:12 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Mission146

With that, the question is, proportionally, are would-be black coaches not pursuing these opportunities at these lower assistant coaching levels...or ARE they pursuing them and just not getting them, or both?

I think a big part is they do not pursue. For one thing, you have to get a break-in job to follow this path. That will probably be for very low or even no pay. Compare it to politics. Virtually every break-in job there is no pay. So you get rich kids who can afford to take them. Even when you do get paid it is low as sports teams think you should be glad to work for them and pay below average for many jobs.

Not that we should really care. How many Jewish NFL coaches are there? How many Hispanic? How many Samoan?

A quick Google search shows just 1-2 NFL head coaches being Jewish but many owners were.
The President is a fink.
February 2nd, 2022 at 9:14:29 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: AZDuffman
I think a big part is they do not pursue. For one thing, you have to get a break-in job to follow this path. That will probably be for very low or even no pay. Compare it to politics. Virtually every break-in job there is no pay. So you get rich kids who can afford to take them. Even when you do get paid it is low as sports teams think you should be glad to work for them and pay below average for many jobs.

Not that we should really care. How many Jewish NFL coaches are there? How many Hispanic? How many Samoan?

A quick Google search shows just 1-2 NFL head coaches being Jewish but many owners were.

It's a small sample size anyway, but Ron Rivera is Hispanic and I guess Brian Flores (the person in question) is also Hispanic.

I think it is a worthy goal for the equality of opportunity to be there, so do I care how many NFL Head Coaches are this, that or the other thing...not really...what I do care is that everyone has equality of opportunity because, if there is no equality of opportunity, then you do have systemic racism.

I guess assistant NFL coaches (not coordinators, their assistants) can sometimes be paid as low as in the mid-40's, then I do imagine you have a bunch of folks who are subordinates even to them and may be paid less or not at all. Of course, many of these assistants have started out as assistants for small college programs and almost certainly did not get paid, except they might get campus room and board, or something.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
February 2nd, 2022 at 10:44:30 AM permalink
DRich
Quote: Mission146

I guess assistant NFL coaches (not coordinators, their assistants) can sometimes be paid as low as in the mid-40's, then I do imagine you have a bunch of folks who are subordinates even to them and may be paid less or not at all.

You may be right, but the average NFL assistant makes $400k.
February 2nd, 2022 at 2:21:24 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
How about if the Giants tried honesty. ‘Mr. Flores, we have decided to hire Brian Daboll as our next head coach. However, some stupid idiots decided to put a rule in place that we interview two minority candidates for the job. Will you be one of those faux candidates?’

The simplest example would be this. The Jaguars have an opening now. If Bill Belichick said he wanted to move south and coach, and would love to go to the Jaguars, as the best coach in football history, would the Jaguars really still have to interview two minority candidates, then say, we hired the guy with all the rings on his fingers? The Rooney rule is the problem. Any time you specify a particular candidate because of his race, it is an error. Sort of like what’s happening with SCOTUS.
February 2nd, 2022 at 2:42:15 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: SOOPOO
How about if the Giants tried honesty. ‘Mr. Flores, we have decided to hire Brian Daboll as our next head coach. However, some stupid idiots decided to put a rule in place that we interview two minority candidates for the job. Will you be one of those faux candidates?’

The simplest example would be this. The Jaguars have an opening now. If Bill Belichick said he wanted to move south and coach, and would love to go to the Jaguars, as the best coach in football history, would the Jaguars really still have to interview two minority candidates, then say, we hired the guy with all the rings on his fingers? The Rooney rule is the problem. Any time you specify a particular candidate because of his race, it is an error. Sort of like what’s happening with SCOTUS.

I think fair is fair and you should have to try out white players for cornerback.
The President is a fink.
February 2nd, 2022 at 3:21:56 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
The "Washington Commanders?"

What, is their coach now "The Commander in chief?"

Not a good new name, but hey, it wasn't my call.

I'd have gone with "Blackskins," as we all know that black lives matter and that most players are black.

Not coaches or owners, however: The White Man still rules the NFL roost.
February 2nd, 2022 at 4:00:17 PM permalink
DRich
Quote: missedhervee
The "Washington Commanders?"

What, is their coach now "The Commander in chief?"

Not a good new name, but hey, it wasn't my call.

I'd have gone with "Blackskins," as we all know that black lives matter and that most players are black.

Not coaches or owners, however: The White Man still rules the NFL roost.

They wear Red, the are the Washington Commies.
February 2nd, 2022 at 4:04:25 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
I honestly think Washington Commanders is an awesome name.