In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

February 25th, 2022 at 1:09:54 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: Tanko
The market has been falling since January, due to the Fed cutting its bond purchases in half and saying there will be interest rate hikes to fight inflation.

Inflation they caused.

The end of cheap money. Probably not.

The war has accelerated the decline.
up 800+ points today ... which does not put it back to where it was in January, no. The war is helping market volatility, but currently the idea that the Fed won't up interest rates by "50 basis points" now is a bigger factor. Yeah, that could change.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
February 28th, 2022 at 7:52:00 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Overall crime in NYC fell 65% during the Guiliani years, and continued to fall under Bloomberg. Arrests fell 50%, from 150,000 annually, to 75,000. This was due to the ‘broken windows’ zero tolerance policy and stop, question, frisk.

Despite the dramatic drop in arrests and a 75% reduction in homicides, negroes complained too many of them were incarcerated. Never mind the fact they were committing 95% of the violent crimes.

In response to Obama’s threatened Federal takeover of the NYPD unless SQF ended, Bloomberg reduced it 86%.

NYC homicides hit a record low 289 in 2018, under de Blasio. A 30% improvement over Bloomberg’s 2013 record low.

The incarceration complaints continued, so de blasio eliminated the undercover unit, reduced SQF 95% over Bloomberg's previous reduction, and voters elected three liberal District Attorneys, while Cuomo signed the bail reform law that allows most criminals including armed robbers and sex offenders to go free without bail, pending trial.

NYC wiped out five years of policing progress in 2021

NYC homicides are up 68% since 2018.

In this recent attack, a 57 year old female MD from the NYC Dept. of Health, is kicked down the subway steps and bashed in her head with a hammer thirteen times.

She remains hospitalized in critical condition.
February 28th, 2022 at 8:48:15 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51

In this recent attack, a 57 year old female MD from the NYC Dept. of Health, is kicked down the subway steps and bashed in her head with a hammer thirteen times.

I wonder if she now suffers from Triskaidekaphobia.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
February 28th, 2022 at 10:16:38 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
The Dow is down almost 3000 points since Jan 1st, and has lost
all it gained since Mr Poopypants was sworn in & 400 more. Where
is Terapined and all his chortling about the wonderful Dow now.
LOL
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 28th, 2022 at 10:23:50 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: Evenbob
Where
is Terapined and all his chortling about the wonderful Dow now.
LOL

RVing around the country and enjoying life.

Not holed up in his bedroom with some feral cats watching Downton Abbey on repeat.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
February 28th, 2022 at 11:10:16 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Overall crime in NYC fell 65% during the Guiliani years, and continued to fall under Bloomberg. Arrests fell 50%, from 150,000 annually, to 75,000. This was due to the ‘broken windows’ zero tolerance policy and stop, question, frisk.

Despite the dramatic drop in arrests and a 75% reduction in homicides, negroes complained too many of them were incarcerated. Never mind the fact they were committing 95% of the violent crimes.

In response to Obama’s threatened Federal takeover of the NYPD unless SQF ended, Bloomberg reduced it 86%.

NYC homicides hit a record low 289 in 2018, under de Blasio. A 30% improvement over Bloomberg’s 2013 record low.

The incarceration complaints continued, so de blasio eliminated the undercover unit, reduced SQF 95% over Bloomberg's previous reduction, and voters elected three liberal District Attorneys, while Cuomo signed the bail reform law that allows most criminals including armed robbers and sex offenders to go free without bail, pending trial.

NYC wiped out five years of policing progress in 2021

NYC homicides are up 68% since 2018.

From link: Gerson [her brother]Gerson, who is a scientist at Columbia University, told the outlet that they have lived in the Big Apple their whole lives and that he is confident authorities will apprehend the suspect.

"Moreover, transit crimes from January 1, when Adams was sworn in as mayor, through February 20, have jumped 60.8 percent compared to the same period in 2021, the NYPD’s crime statistics show."
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
February 28th, 2022 at 11:59:23 AM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Quote: Evenbob
The Dow is down almost 3000 points since Jan 1st, and has lost
all it gained since Mr Poopypants was sworn in & 400 more.

This is the price to be paid for getting off the old, flawed path and now trying to find the yellow, I mean the "green" brick road.

About half the loss in value is from the Ukraine war, the remainder due to the Fed / fears over fiscal policy and the lingering effects of covid.

But have no fear: what goes down must come up, at least historically the Dow always has survived and later retaken and surpassed lost ground.
February 28th, 2022 at 1:38:44 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: missedhervee
This is the price to be paid for getting off the old, flawed path and now trying to find the yellow, I mean the "green" brick road.

What "flawed path?" Peace and prosperity? Energy independence?

Seriously, I have to ask. How much of YOUR money do YOU have invested in the "green stocks" you like?
The President is a fink.
February 28th, 2022 at 3:24:54 PM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: AZDuffman

Seriously, I have to ask. How much of YOUR money do YOU have invested in the "green stocks" you like?

Going green as much as we can do without costing people tons of money is a fine idea. Doing it before building a green infrastructure while shrinking our oil production at the same time is ignorant.

Move to green on a steady, deliberate path as we develop consistent (ones that work in good and bad weather) supplies. Bring on more nuclear energy. Figure out ways to reduce dependence on foreign products to keep the supply safe from the whims of those who desire to bring us harm.

Just cutting off oil and other fossil fuels is not the answer.
February 28th, 2022 at 4:32:43 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Quote: AZDuffman

Upon his election Trump did all he could to eviscerate all pro-environmental regulations; he was like the antithesis of Teddy Roosevelt, who unlike Trump tried to play the long game for America, sacrificing the possibility of immediate profit for the chance of preserving what we've got for future generations.

Trump's "do whatever you want with energy, and to hell with the environment" was obviously popular with big business, and yes, it helped keep gas prices down.

But the world is changing, and Americans don't seem to want to change, at least those who voted for Trump, and to make them toe the line gas prices will rise, inducing the switch gov't wants to EV's; I personally have no use for EV's but I support the gov'ts policy.

Then again no matter what gas goes up to it won't affect me: I rat-holed money rather well when I worked, and invested well, so I can always pay at the pump, no matter what the cost.

YMMV