In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

April 25th, 2022 at 12:46:48 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: Evenbob
The Johnny Depp trial is fascinating. Johnny Depp has a presence the leaps off the screen at you, imagine what it's like to meet him. It's a rare quality and people like him have so much of it that it comes across the screen. They say Marilyn Monroe had it, when she walked into a room conversation stopped. Her presence filled the room. Dagen McDowell said she went home after work and lay down on the couch to watch 20 minutes all the trial and 2 hours later she was still riveted to the screen. She couldn't take her eyes off Johnny Depp. He's doing a performance, and he's really really good at it. When he was talking about Hunter Thompson he went flawlessly into his Hunter Thompson impersonation because he played him in a movie. Usually if you name an actor I can name a couple movies that were in. I did that with Johnny Depp and came up with a dozen off the top of my head. And no two of them are the same except for the Pirates of the Caribbean. Edward Scissorhands, Gilbert Grape, 9 Gates, Platoon, Donnie Brasco, Sleepy Hollow, Finding Neverland, Willy Wonka, Corpse Bride, Sweeney Todd, Dark Shadows and so many more. Disney has offered him a pile of money about a mile high to do another Pirates movie but he's not going to do it. He's burnt out on the character. Matt Damon said he would never do another Bourne movie and he ended up doing it. So you never know..

I saw a bit of his testimony. I got none of that…he seemed like a mumbling fool to me.

He’s a good actor; I don’t care to see him in this setting.

I changed the channel.

I do see lots of fan love being tossed his way.
April 25th, 2022 at 4:50:07 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Looks like Elon Musk might actually end up “buying” Twitter after all.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-04-25/twitter-on-track-to-reach-deal-with-musk-as-soon-as-monday

The big loser will be Donny (as usual). His attempt at social media, Truth Social, was already floundering…
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
April 25th, 2022 at 6:54:24 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: ams288

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-04-25/twitter-on-track-to-reach-deal-with-musk-as-soon-as-monday

The big loser will be Donny (as usual). His attempt at social media, Truth Social, was already floundering…

Even Trump doesn't use Truth Social
Only one post
Lol
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
April 25th, 2022 at 8:17:21 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote:
The Satanic Temple is suing a Pennsylvania school board after their petition to begin an “After School Satan Club” was voted down last week.

The Satanic Temple’s general counsel, Mathew Kezhaya, said the lawsuit will determine whether the Northern York County board discriminated against the Satanic Temple by allowing some after-school clubs but not the temple’s, reported KTUL News.

The interesting thing about the Satanic religion is not whether you believe in it, but how it can be used to challenge religious hypocrisy and or the opposition of ordaining one true religion for the US. You'd be right to suspect it might be an atheist plot by some atheists.

But it would be pretty tough to use that as a basis for a challenge. Nearly every elected office from the lowliest position has to endorse some accepted religious practice whether they believe in it or not. So, the influence of religion on all of use is pervasive whether we like it or not.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 25th, 2022 at 10:44:37 AM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Clash of The Titans:

"My bearded old man wrapped in clouds will smite your horned fork-tailed red imp."
April 25th, 2022 at 11:04:25 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: RonC
I saw a bit of his testimony. I got none of that…he seemed like a mumbling fool to me.

You saw what you wanted to see. Obviously. I see a good actor putting on a great performance.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 25th, 2022 at 12:07:47 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: ams288

Only real test of free speech is what Musk allows about himself on the platform. Why people might just join to troll Musk day after day. He tried to buy off that kid posting his airline flights.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 25th, 2022 at 12:18:09 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: RonC

He’s a good actor; I don’t care to see him in this setting.

I changed the channel.

I do see lots of fan love being tossed his way.

I think Depp has succeeded in making Amber Heard look like a nasty person for writing a me-too op-ed when it looks like she was hitting him.

Doesn't mean he will win on damages, but I believe he did succeed at that.
April 25th, 2022 at 12:18:15 PM permalink
ams288
Quote: rxwine
Only real test of free speech is what Musk allows about himself on the platform. Why people might just join to troll Musk day after day. He tried to buy off that kid posting his airline flights.

I’m actually kind of excited to see how disastrous this goes for Musk. I think his business acumen is *highly* overrated. It will be interesting to see how Twitter is faring a year or so after the acquisition is done.
April 25th, 2022 at 12:19:37 PM permalink
ams288
Quote: rxwine
I think Depp has succeeded in making Amber Heard look like a nasty person for writing a me-too op-ed when it looks like she was hitting him.

Doesn't mean he will win on damages, but I believe he did succeed at that.

I don’t think either of them come out of this looking too good. But if his goal was to take her down with him, he’s succeeding.

(Also: extremely dumb that the WB fired him from Fantastic Beasts 3 but allowed her to remain in Aquaman 2. They had no real cause to fire him and still had to pay him $16 million or something even though he didn’t work a day on the film!).