In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

May 11th, 2022 at 2:05:36 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Gandler

More than a little overpriced. Some shady smoke rings going on for such a low revenue, limited product company to have such a high valuation.

The price of stocks today generally mirror what the market thinks the company will be worth in the future. Tesla investors think the company will be worth more than the other automakers combined in the future. I don't know if I believe it, but I do think they will be bigger than any of our other manufacturers in the future. I do believe Ford will be their biggest competitor as they are approaching the EV market better than the others.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
May 11th, 2022 at 2:14:11 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: DRich
The price of stocks today generally mirror what the market thinks the company will be worth in the future. Tesla investors think the company will be worth more than the other automakers combined in the future. I don't know if I believe it, but I do think they will be bigger than any of our other manufacturers in the future. I do believe Ford will be their biggest competitor as they are approaching the EV market better than the others.

That gets into Star Citizen territory, Tesla misses just about every deadline (often by many years), and continues to take money for Pre-orders. (And, they both share having a hyper loyal fanbase who does not like dissent). And, Elon Musk, like Chris Roberts is great at hype and leading people on.

But, based on the pure numbers, its insane that its not only the most valuable auto company, but more valuable than all combined. I think its mostly based on false promises and hype.
May 11th, 2022 at 2:15:39 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: DRich

Tesla fans are a sort of cult. You cannot talk reason with them. The valuation has never made any sense but never bet against a cult stock. In the case of Tesla we are talking about a company who just 2 years ago had its fans helping load cars for shipping.

Remember the weird Saturn "homecoming" events where owners came to the factory? This is many times more cultish.
The President is a fink.
May 11th, 2022 at 2:17:38 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: AZDuffman
Tesla fans are a sort of cult. You cannot talk reason with them. The valuation has never made any sense but never bet against a cult stock. In the case of Tesla we are talking about a company who just 2 years ago had its fans helping load cars for shipping.

Remember the weird Saturn "homecoming" events where owners came to the factory? This is many times more cultish.

I 100% agree with that.
May 11th, 2022 at 7:07:52 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote:
Update (12 May 2022): The big day of the announcement is today! Make sure to check back to ScienceAlert's home page for a live blog of the press conference at roughly 08:40 am EDT, or 12:40 UTC.

Any guesses. World leaders take off their masks and reveal they are Lizards.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 12th, 2022 at 7:52:21 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
it's time for you to tell us what the hell you are talking about
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
May 12th, 2022 at 8:00:22 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote: odiousgambit
it's time for you to tell us what the hell you are talking about

Me? It was a picture of a Black Hole at the middle of the Milky Way. I don't think the image is going to roil the public imagination, however. Interesting for the space nerds. But that's the way they chose to announce it.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 12th, 2022 at 8:03:14 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: rxwine
Me? It was a picture of a Black Hole at the middle of the Milky Way. I don't think the image is going to roil the public imagination, however. Interesting for the space nerds. But that's the way they chose to announce it.

Every large galaxy has a black hole at its centre. Why would we think our galaxy is any different.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
May 12th, 2022 at 8:08:34 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote: kenarman
Every large galaxy has a black hole at its centre. Why would we think our galaxy is any different.

It's the pics, not the concept.
May 12th, 2022 at 8:49:47 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
USA TODAY: Ukraine updates: Finland backs NATO; Russia vows 'retaliatory' steps.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2022/05/12/ukraine-russia-invasion-live-updates/9740864002/
WTF
Putin caused this
Finland was fine outside of NATO until Putin attacked
This is on Russia/Putin because of its actions
But
I have no doubt Russian supporters Fox, Tucker and Rand Paul will blame Biden
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"