In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

January 23rd, 2016 at 9:34:39 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Lest we think all school shootings are American:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/deadly-shootings-schools-canada-1.3416685?cmp=rss

There were 4 people killed yesterday is Saskatchewan. As yet, I've not seen anyone shouting to ban guns. Which is odd, given the number of times that some folks I know are willing to tell the US what to do with guns...
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
January 23rd, 2016 at 12:33:39 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: TheCesspit
There were 4 people killed yesterday is Saskatchewan. As yet, I've not seen anyone shouting to ban guns. Which is odd, given the number of times that some folks I know are willing to tell the US what to do with guns...

Well a musket held by the shooter would have made a difference. Grenades manufactured for the military would have as well in the perpetrator's hands.

So, yeah, the weapon capability makes a difference, it's not just a people argument.

Likewise if you mow people down in a Smart Car, it's not going to be as effective as a Cadillac Escalade.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 23rd, 2016 at 1:27:28 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Quote: AZDuffman
You are still missing the point. It was not the affair that got him impeached, it was the perjury. Get it?

I do get it. The question for me is, why was the question ever allowed to be asked? It was nobody's business.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
January 23rd, 2016 at 1:49:19 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: beachbumbabs
I do get it. The question for me is, why was the question ever allowed to be asked? It was nobody's business.

Because it was a deposition for a suit against him for sexual harassment. In such a case the behavior of the defendant is allowed.

I never saw liberals get upset when Clarence Thomas was asked about Anita Hill even thought that was irrelevant.
The President is a fink.
January 23rd, 2016 at 2:14:32 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Because it was a deposition for a suit against him for sexual harassment. In such a case the behavior of the defendant is allowed.

I never saw liberals get upset when Clarence Thomas was asked about Anita Hill even thought that was irrelevant.

It was relevant. She stepped forward of her own accord. She was not a consenting adult. And she had filed complaints about him before.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
January 23rd, 2016 at 4:17:57 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Why are we even talking about this. Clinton/Lewinsky
is a classic case of workplace abuse. He used the power
of his job to take advantage of an underling.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 23rd, 2016 at 5:06:57 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: Evenbob
Why are we even talking about this. Clinton/Lewinsky
is a classic case of workplace abuse. He used the power
of his job to take advantage of an underling.

Well it's hypocrisy. Some people support a certain candidate who has cheated on his wife (by any church standards at least), and is even accused by people on his side of the political spectrum of saying whatever is necessary, at best playing fast and loose with facts.

OTOH, if Obama is a great President by virtue of fidelity and not committing perjury in a court we'll go with that. But people can't have it both ways.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 23rd, 2016 at 5:14:25 PM permalink
rxwine
BTW. poitifacts ratings are hilarious. (or sad I suppose)

http://www.politifact.com/personalities/donald-trump/
January 23rd, 2016 at 7:57:13 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: beachbumbabs
It was relevant. She stepped forward of her own accord. She was not a consenting adult. And she had filed complaints about him before.
sp

So I take it that your premise based on this thread is we can pick and choose which women we believe and should investigate when they claim sexual harassment?
The President is a fink.
January 23rd, 2016 at 9:11:18 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
sp

So I take it that your premise based on this thread is we can pick and choose which women we believe and should investigate when they claim sexual harassment?

Monica Lewinski was a woman in love who did not want her business out there, not only consented but instigated their intimacy, did not come after Clinton or charge him with sexual harassment. She would never have been near him and did not work for him except that the gov't got shut down and only volunteers were allowed to work in the WH at the time (other than senior, critical staffing about 20 levels above her or more); she was filling in on routine low-level duties like emptying office garbage cans.

Anita Hill worked for Clarence Thomas, was subjected to unwanted personal attention during work, had filed harassment charges against him, felt it was her duty to testify in support of what she'd previously reported.

Yeah, there's a difference. More than one. Why do you insist on spinning things like this?