In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

November 28th, 2017 at 4:22:12 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
some people around here need to take some chill pills

I don't have too many people blocked at this site but might have to block more if all this back and forth keeps going. you know, at some point ask yourself if it is worth trashing a thread just to get another lick in
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
November 28th, 2017 at 4:50:46 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: kenarman
The way you presented my quote is a little out of context but I would support admission by marks and suitability for the course. If this skews the numbers towards any race so be it. I do not support the number of foreign students that Universities in Canada now let in, 30% and up in many schools. They pay considerably more than resident students do but are still not paying 100% of the costs of their studies and I don't feel we should be subsidizing them.

From your comment I assume that you feel Asian students have a reverse quota in the better schools, any back-up for that position?

"To be admitted to elite colleges, Asians needed SAT scores 140 points higher than whites, 270 points higher than Hispanics, and 450 points higher than blacks.
An Asian applicant with an SAT score of 1500 (out of a possible 1600 on the old SAT) had the same chance of being admitted as a white student with a 1360 score, a Latino with a 1230, and a black student with a 1050 score."

http://www.newsweek.com/why-are-ivy-league-schools-still-discriminating-against-asians-657081
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
November 28th, 2017 at 5:32:05 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: odiousgambit
some people around here need to take some chill pills

I don't have too many people blocked at this site but might have to block more if all this back and forth keeps going. you know, at some point ask yourself if it is worth trashing a thread just to get another lick in

I am happy to tune it down if others agree to do the same. Perhaps the first step is agree not to accuse anyone of "racism" in this thread. Overused straw man.
The President is a fink.
November 28th, 2017 at 9:57:24 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote:
Former Alabama judge Roy Moore, a Republican candidate for U.S. Senate, once said publicly that he did not take a “regular salary” from the small charity he founded to promote Christian values because he did not want to be a financial burden.

But privately, Moore had arranged to receive a salary of $180,000 a year for part-time work at the Foundation for Moral Law, internal charity documents show. He collected more than $1 million as president from 2007 to 2012, compensation that far surpassed what the group disclosed in its public tax filings...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/undisclosed-deal-guaranteed-roy-moore-180000-a-year-for-part-time-work-at-charity/2017/10/11/5f56679e-a9de-11e7-850e-2bdd1236be5d_story.html?utm_term=.b87147e7ac5b
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 28th, 2017 at 10:23:36 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: Evenbob
RUSH: "LGGBDTTTIQQAAPP" is the acronym. Lesbian. Gay. Genderqueer. Bisexual. Demisexual. Transgender. Transexual. Two-Spirit. Intersex. Queer. Questioning. Asexual. Allies. Pansexual. Polyamorous. Those are now all of the sexual victim groups to whom we all must express sensitivity, compassion, and understanding."

I have a better name for them. Less than
2% of the population is what they are.
Who cares.

Bob=== if you include regular gay men and lesbian women you far exceed 2%. We will never know the real percentage but it is most assuredly greater than 2%. As far as 'who cares'?..... Most of the population cares.... Not you obviously....
November 28th, 2017 at 10:35:40 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: SOOPOO
Bob=== if you include regular gay men and lesbian women you far exceed 2%. We will never know the real percentage but it is most assuredly greater than 2%. As far as 'who cares'?..... Most of the population cares.... Not you obviously....

Gays are about 1%, 1.5% perhaps. The rest are a far smaller amount. Even with the new designations, it is the same 2%.

I do not think "most of the population" cares. I think most of the population does not want to hear about their preferences.

The agenda is to make it seem like way more of the population has some kind of problem than does. Seriously, you want to go out for something out of the norm, go to a place that has it. Gotta be a "specialty bar" in most cities. But quit broadcasting it.
The President is a fink.
November 28th, 2017 at 10:43:03 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: AZDuffman
Gays are about 1%, 1.5% perhaps. .

Interesting. I must know a disproportionally high percentage of gay people then.
November 28th, 2017 at 11:04:18 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Interesting. I must know a disproportionally high percentage of gay people then.

Probably.
The President is a fink.
November 28th, 2017 at 11:06:46 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: AZDuffman

I do not think "most of the population" cares. .

Nor do I, why would they. I care as
much about them as I do the problems
of sheep farmers or oat growers. I
have my problems, they have theirs.
I'm sick of having the 2% of populations
with gender issues shoved down my
throat all the time.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 28th, 2017 at 11:11:41 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146

I had a game I played all the time
when I had black people in my taxi.
I would ask them how much of the
US population was black.

Not one time did any of them come
even close to the answer, about 12%.
Most of them said half, 50% was black.
Many said more than half. A typical
answer was a third.

The answers were skewed this way because
all they saw in their neighborhoods was
black people. Cops are the same way, they
deal with people breaking the law all day,
so they eventually view all of us as criminals.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.