May 7th, 2018 at 5:53:48 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
NASCAR For Sale!
The President is a fink.
May 8th, 2018 at 6:34:07 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
What did NASCAR do wrong? Or is it just a sign of the changing priorities of people and their entertainment?
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 8th, 2018 at 6:37:25 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: rxwine
What did NASCAR do wrong? Or is it just a sign of the changing priorities of people and their entertainment?

I think it has peaked
If I owned it, now is the time to sell
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
May 8th, 2018 at 7:21:33 AM permalink
AZDuffman

I think it is many things not just one. The cars look nothing like stock cars, you can't even tell the manufacturer anymore. They based more and more on driver personalities, away from the cars. They are stuck in the past tech-wise. The whole "deal-making" thing is crazy, competitors agreeing to draft or pit at the same time.

Now with the demise of the American sedan, what will they do, race Explorers?
The President is a fink.
May 8th, 2018 at 7:26:10 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: AZDuffman
They are stuck in the past tech-wise. The whole "deal-making" thing is crazy, competitors agreeing to draft or pit at the same time.
Freezing technology and allowing collusion are death knells, particularly the collusion part.
May 8th, 2018 at 7:58:52 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Looks like "San Francisco values" are making their way to flyover country...

“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
May 8th, 2018 at 11:43:23 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
What did NASCAR do wrong?

Every goddamn thing.

The loss of car identity that AZD mentions doesn't help.

The playoff system...i can't say it's "wrong", as it did bring some end - of - year action where previously the outcome was finalized already. I dunno if I can even find a logic based argument there; I just know I don't like it.

Fuel injection hurt me. Much of the enjoyment comes from knowing what's going on. Without carbs and the resulting lick of flame throttle off caused with them, there's no more detail. Is he getting off later, on sooner? No f÷=×ing idea.

Tech sucks, too. This is supposed to be back woods, rough and tumble, seat of the pants. But lightly bend a fender and you are aerodynamicly eliminated? No. You're supposed to bang doors and trade paint. This ain't F1.

Money sucks. Anyone who watches football knows how riveting watching the same one team win and win and win is. It's stupid. NASCAR should test, get ideas about tires and compounds. Teams should just have to show up. F your practices, F your R+D, and F PhD holding engineers. Should be illegal to wrench with less than 3 Genny Cream ales in your gullet, and every grade after 9 you've completed is a stop and go penalty =p

Tracks are dumb. Too many 1.5mi D's. There's a mess of road courses in North America, and more 3/8 - 1mi short tracks than you could shake a stick at. Road America / Atlanta? Iowa? Cirque de Gil Vilneuve? Kentucky? The minors going to CdGV is about the only NASCAR i consume anymore.

That's a partial list. For me it's mostly the cars. If you cut the damn spoilers off and modeled the aero after a 1982 Delta 88, I'd buy tickets today no matter the rules or where they race at. But they won't, so until they do, I'll be at my local shorty
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
May 8th, 2018 at 11:52:40 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Face

Fuel injection hurt me. Much of the enjoyment comes from knowing what's going on. Without carbs and the resulting lick of flame throttle off caused with them, there's no more detail. Is he getting off later, on sooner? No f÷=×ing idea.

Never heard this take on carbs before. I think I heard that carbs were still better at moving loads of air than fuelies.
The President is a fink.
May 8th, 2018 at 11:52:57 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Face's comment reminds me of the ads for Grand Tour where they depict real enjoyment rather than showroom quality photography of cream puffs.
May 8th, 2018 at 11:52:58 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Its those old Demolition Derby "races". The crowd wants creased bumpers not creased trousers.
Now I'm all for track safety and protecting spectators as much as is reasonably possible, but ultra safe 'races' are usually just mass choreography.