In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

September 6th, 2014 at 9:49:15 PM permalink
boymimbo
Threads: 5
Don't get me, wrong, Petro, but I abhor our environmental policy on Tar Sands too, and I think it's a black eye to Canada, not only because it's an environmental nightmare, but that the government is not collecting an adequate amount of royalties which will lower our taxes greatly.

And the whole monetary policy thing, there are alot of controls that make Canada's banking systems great, but it was mostly the idea that we have six really big banks with huge market caps.

I have no problems with cutting trees if they are replaced.
September 6th, 2014 at 11:52:21 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: beachbumbabs
Re: alarm. More to the point, I'm kind of surprised the autopilot doesn't have a fail-safe where, if the cabin pressure indicates it's too low either in absolute values or trending towards it, that it doesn't change the squawk to "mayday" and descend the aircraft to 14K or lower, and have to be manually overridden.
Yes, sort of like a Dead Man's Pedal on a rail road locomotive.

Sometimes its nice to be able to say "Minimum Fuel" and be processed promptly rather than have to say "Mayday' and be processed instantly but be in real red tape problems upon landing.

For this incident, I had a subjective impression of a pilot not really understanding his situation or its critical nature. Controllers can and often do utter that magic word that the pilot is afraid to utter. Sometimes however its the pilot's oxygen levels not the levels of his fear of FAA red tape if he utters that magic Mayday word.

Certainly a pilot's request for a lower altitude is routine, everyday stuff but if its coming across on the frequency as a lethargic slur the controller will react far differently. The trouble is that frequencies are crowded, static is present and there is not always a time to be subtle or to perceive someone else's subtle undertones. Its like men forming a line at a sports stadium just before the seventh inning, they ALL want a date with the porcelain, they ALL want it urgently but a man who has over indulged will be allowed to go to the head of line if he confesses his predicament properly. Its just that "Properly" can vary: language barrier, cultural barrier, etc.

Hypoxia means get down faster than "onboard fire" does.

Long ago there was a pilot who said Four Engine Experimental Romeo King at 65 mph... and controllers would start giving him vectors and runway lengths and asking about Souls on Board .... the poor guy could land in forty feet if he had to, he wasn't in trouble at all, but a controller hears Four Engines and a very low airspeed and automatically goes into Get The Trucks Rolling mode.
So the Controllers told him to stop saying Four Engines and told him if anyone from the FAA tries to cite you we will back you up.

The trouble with an automatic "ring bells for 500 miles" and "Descend Darn Quick" is what happens when its nightime over the Rockies and the signal was a transient discrepancy. Though I certainly do think hypoxia is a most under rated condition. The warnings are bland and the time for processing those warnings can be real short.
September 7th, 2014 at 11:14:10 PM permalink
1nickelmiracle
Threads: 24
The media doesn't report drinks right. They kept saying Trevon Martin had Iced Tea and the lady threw water at the knee defender guy.

Just read an article quoting knee defender guy where he says it was Sprite. The Martin case was supposed to be Arizona Iced Tea brand watermelon flavor.

This should be addressed by the media. Two simple cases we know they're lying and don't know exactly why and their reason. If we knew this, we would possibly be able to know more things they lie about.
September 7th, 2014 at 11:41:29 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: 1nickelmiracle
The media doesn't report drinks right. They kept saying Trevon Martin had Iced Tea and the lady threw water at the knee defender guy.

Just read an article quoting knee defender guy where he says it was Sprite. The Martin case was supposed to be Arizona Iced Tea brand watermelon flavor.

This should be addressed by the media. Two simple cases we know they're lying and don't know exactly why and their reason. If we knew this, we would possibly be able to know more things they lie about.

You find out who owns you when you find out who your not allowed to criticize.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
September 8th, 2014 at 1:32:13 AM permalink
1nickelmiracle
Threads: 24
Quote: petroglyph
You find out who owns you when you find out who your not allowed to criticize.
Exactly there must be a master list somewhere. I know Kimmel used to joke about the censorship list Abc gave him long ago with all the words and phrases he couldn't say although he did in the bit. All I can remember was he couldn't use the phrase "American as apple pie".
September 8th, 2014 at 7:08:18 AM permalink
Beethoven
Threads: 18
Ray Rice delivers a vicious punch to his fiancee's face, knocking her out cold
Quote: Key passage:
An employee of the hotel tells TMZ Sports he was working there at the time and says the NFL saw the elevator footage before imposing the 2-game suspension.
How screwed up is the NFL? Well, the Minnesota Vikings' Mike Priefer got suspended for 3 games for uttering a freakin GAY SLUR, yet Ray Rice got suspended for 2 games after punching a woman in the face. What the hell is wrong with this picture, folks???????????????

Here's footage of the punch to the face:

Boron Boron Boron rhymes with moron, moron, moron
September 8th, 2014 at 11:41:45 AM permalink
Beethoven
CBS & David Letterman Slapped With Latest Intern Class Action Lawsuit
Quote:
"Named Plaintiff has initiated this action seeking for herself, and on behalf of all similarly situated employees that also worked on The Late Show With David Letterman, all compensation, including minimum wages and overtime compensation, which they were deprived of, plus interest, attorneys’ fees, and costs."

The ironic thing is that the libs who want to increase the minimum wage are the same ones who now want to pay a wage of $0.00/hr! HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! :D

EDIT: My god, the comment section of the article is bleeding with irony. A bunch of libs keep commenting and saying: "What's the intern's problem? She knew the terms of the deal!"

And my personal favorite: "If companies are forced to pay interns, then they'll just get rid of internships entirely!"

God, these people are so dumb! Not because they've said anything wrong, but because they're too stupid to see the connection with the minimum wage. *facepalm*
September 8th, 2014 at 2:21:51 PM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Well, Ray Rice and the NFL had a bad day. The NFL is working to get out from under it with an indefinite suspension. The Ravens cut Rice.

It still isn't a "good" story in any way...they should have taken action sooner.
September 9th, 2014 at 12:40:40 PM permalink
Beethoven
Quote: Beethoven
Ray Rice delivers a vicious punch to his fiancee's face, knocking her out cold
Quote: Key passage:
An employee of the hotel tells TMZ Sports he was working there at the time and says the NFL saw the elevator footage before imposing the 2-game suspension.
How screwed up is the NFL? Well, the Minnesota Vikings' Mike Priefer got suspended for 3 games for uttering a freakin GAY SLUR, yet Ray Rice got suspended for 2 games after punching a woman in the face. What the hell is wrong with this picture, folks???????????????

Here's footage of the punch to the face:

The NFL and its players are such a joke.

Here's what Ray Lewis said about former teammate Ray Rice:

"There is no comparison of me and Ray Rice. It's night and day. It's night and day of anything we've ever been through. And that's why both situations are totally different."

Keep in mind, Ray Lewis was on trial for murder. Yes, that's murder with an 'M'! It's so ridiculous that liberals in this country want to take a tough stand against the word "Redskins" and (alleged) gay slurs in the NFL, yet they welcome guys like Lewis and Michael Vick back with open arms. *facepalm*
September 9th, 2014 at 2:31:34 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Beethoven

Keep in mind, Ray Lewis was on trial for murder. Yes, that's murder with an 'M'! It's so ridiculous that liberals in this country want to take a tough stand against the word "Redskins" and (alleged) gay slurs in the NFL, yet they welcome guys like Lewis and Michael Vick back with open arms. *facepalm*

But they're good....
The President is a fink.