In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

July 24th, 2019 at 9:01:41 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
You would think that a hospital that has somebody like Neil Armstrong as a patient, he would get the best care possible
That's not the case.
Pretty shocking that the hospital had to pay the family 6 million in a wrongful death suit

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/24/us/neil-armstrong-hospital-settlement/index.html
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
July 25th, 2019 at 5:12:20 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Chynna Deese, daughter of a New South Wales Chief Inspector, shot and killed along the Alaska Highway in British Columbia, Canada together with her American boyfriend and travel companion by two Canadian video gamers with a history of being Walmart employees and paintball enthusiasts. Canadian youths last seen in remote town in remote Canadian province have also been charged with gunshot death of 64 year old BC botanical lecturer.
July 26th, 2019 at 2:18:35 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote:
New law requires South Dakota public schools to display 'In God We Trust' on walls

A new bill signed by Gov. Kristi Noem took effect this month, requiring all public schools in the state to display the motto.

South Dakota lawmakers who proposed the law told the Associated Press that the requirement was meant to inspire patriotism in the state’s public schools.

The display must be located in “a prominent location” in each school, such as the school entryway, cafeteria, or other common areas, according to a summary of the bill. It also must be “easily readable” and not smaller than twelve inches wide by twelve inches high.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/new-law-requires-sd-public-schools-to-display-in-god-we-trust-on-walls/ar-AAEUny7?ocid=spartanntp

Dictators make patriotism mandatory by law. That's not where it comes from or why it should exist. In fact, it should come from a person's personal decision of respect.

Much like love, you don't force people to love you unless you're a loser cretin.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 27th, 2019 at 12:30:24 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Quote: DRich
I have never heard the term Firehall wedding.

Our wedding was in a church and the reception was in a private room at the "fancy" restaurant in a small Montana town. We only had about 30 guests and the restaurant was only about $50 per person which included wine and beer. The food options were limited to beef (6oz filet), Chicken Marsala, or fish (Walleye). The restaurant had a cash bar for anyone that wanted liquor.

My wedding was on the beach near Charleston. I rented 2 houses for the weekend, one for the bride's family (5br), and the wedding itself, and one for the groom's(7br), and the groom's dinner.

The groom's dinner Friday was a steak cookout we did with all the sides. Both it and the wedding reception were free bar - we bought the booze, beer, champagne, mixers, etc, and served ourselves.

My mother grew the flowers, including the stephanotus vine that went around the cake tiers. My husband's close friend, a photographer, did the stills and the video. My bridge club, as wedding presents, each brought appetizers for the tables. A local restaurant catered the dinner, which was a full pig roast with all the trimmings. A party rental place brought a big yard tent and service for 125. My brother, an ex dj, provided a 6 hour mix tape for background music and dancing.

My mother and I sewed my dress, a Jessica McClintock, very complicated, fitted pattern. It would have cost $1500-2000 if bought, but was $200 in materials (which is a lot for a dress) instead. My ATM Chief and Julia Ravenal (if you know South Carolina, you know Ravenal), both notaries, did the ceremony, which was at sunset on the water's edge. During the day, we had drinks, volleyball, croquet, card games, singing with guitars, and visiting. Dinner at 6, sunset ceremony, candlelight reception with cake and cases of champagne.

Next morning we served an early champagne brunch with waffles and omelets to the 30 or so out-of-towners.

The whole thing, houses, caterers, reception, dress, all the food and drinks for 125 people, cost me $5000, which I paid myself. Along with some effort from a lot of people who enjoyed contributing to our day. And my guests and ex-husband still talk about it as the best weekend ever. I planned it as an all-weekend party with a wedding in the middle, and specifically as fun for the groom and the guys, as well as the bride and the women.

Spending ridiculous money on a wedding isn't about the wedding. It's about making a power statement of some kind. We didn't need one. We just needed the love and support of our friends and family. And we got it.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
July 27th, 2019 at 2:24:33 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: beachbumbabs
Spending ridiculous money on a wedding isn't about the wedding. It's about making a power statement of some kind. We didn't need one. We just needed the love and support of our friends and family. And we got it.
A marvelous attitude and a fine response from friends and family.

If I lived in Charlston, my focus would be on spending money for an air conditioner.
July 27th, 2019 at 8:32:49 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Goings ons in Sedona

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/they-killed-our-city-locals-feel-helpless-as-vacation-rentals-overrun-sedona-arizona/ar-AAEWSal?ocid=spartanntp
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 27th, 2019 at 9:44:42 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: Fleastiff
Chynna Deese, daughter of a New South Wales Chief Inspector, shot and killed along the Alaska Highway in British Columbia, Canada together with her American boyfriend and travel companion by two Canadian video gamers with a history of being Walmart employees and paintball enthusiasts. Canadian youths last seen in remote town in remote Canadian province have also been charged with gunshot death of 64 year old BC botanical lecturer.

Police and Armed Forces teams engaging in house to house search in remote village. Trail cameras in use. Simultaneous UV/IR multispectrum imaging equipment and military sniper teams having been deployed does not suggest any emphasis on arrest exists.

Cree Fox Reserve would normally be Cree and RCMP territory but area is large and it seems strange that two disgruntled Walmart employees can evade the massive force of searchers and search planes. Despite some outdoor paintball experience they are not really survivalists and not thought equipped to deal with mosquito hordes or thousands of flies.
July 28th, 2019 at 6:57:57 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Abrupt shift of resources to eighty kilometer distant tiny hamlet of York Landing where two young men were spotted "dumpster diving".
Flurry of social media comments report a capture but indicaions are that the search continues using official and culturally-inspired First Nation protective forces.
local residents told not to drive vehicles and to lock doors.
Drones and IR receivers on scene. Canines enroute.
Roads require several hours to make the 80km trip from Gilliam.
RCMP deny anyone is in custody.

unarmed first nation forces are anti-rape, anti-alcohol and anti-Horsemen groups opposed to police mistreatment of first nation people.
July 28th, 2019 at 8:01:33 PM permalink
Fleastiff
I always liked the Gilroy Garlic Festival. Minimal police presence, mainly mature Reserve Officers on traffic duty.
Yet someone shot the place up and crowd control barriers hampered those who tried to flee.
July 29th, 2019 at 5:41:10 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: Fleastiff
I always liked the Gilroy Garlic Festival. Minimal police presence, mainly mature Reserve Officers on traffic duty.
Yet someone shot the place up and crowd control barriers hampered those who tried to flee.
One shooter promptly killed by police. It appears another shootr successfully fled the scene amidst the panic.