Gun Control

May 30th, 2022 at 9:23:28 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: kenarman
As they should be since they kill a thousand times more people.

No, its not even close. Cars kill about 35k people a year. Guns kill about 45k people a year. (In America).

Cars used to be more dangerous, but they got progressively safer over the years as licensing requirements increased.

However, 2021 was kind of strange (for cars and guns). Both rates increased, despite the fact that experts predicted both would dramatically decrease this year (most recent full year that we have) since most people spent the vast majority of the year sitting at home (no commuting to work, no need to travel, no nightclubs, etc.... the kind of scenarios that lead to car deaths and gun deaths).

And, 2020 was actually an increase over 2019 (and even more dramatic increase). And, this was also surprising, because the rates should have gone down.

So the people saying upthread that gun deaths have gone down over the last two years are simply incorrect. (Same for car deaths). They have been decreasing overall since the 1960s, but the last two years have been massive spikes.

https://www.thetrace.org/2021/12/gun-violence-data-stats-2021/
(This is specifically for intentional violence, does not factor in suicide deaths or accidental discharges).

(In 2020 and 2021 gun sales hit record highs, so take that correlation how you will).
May 30th, 2022 at 9:46:51 AM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Quote: OnceDear
Well, you can't shoot black gays without a gun! $:o)

Really?

What if they're coming at you with a knife or a baeball bat in their hand instead of a gun: can I still shoot one then?

Not that I would...just makin' sure I could...
May 30th, 2022 at 10:03:28 AM permalink
JCW09
Threads: 12
Quote: rxwine
Speaking of, I haven't looked at what's on the docket for these upcoming cases. But apparently you think it will be gun favorable.

Duncan v. Becerra and NY Rifle & Pistol Assoc. v. Bruen are the gun cases at SCOTUS.
Duncan deals with the Constitutionality of a 10-Round Magazine restriction.
NYR&PA deals with "shall issue" vs. "may issue" restrictions on CCW permits.
Post Heller, both are likely to be government losers when opinions come out.
Def. of Liar - "A Person Who Tells Lies" / "I lied. Deal with it" - ams288
May 30th, 2022 at 10:43:48 AM permalink
OnceDear
Threads: 11
Quote: missedhervee
Really?

What if they're coming at you with a knife or a baeball bat in their hand instead of a gun: can I still shoot one then?

Not that I would...just makin' sure I could...
Did you deliberately misunderstand for comedic value?

"Well, you can't shoot black gays without [having] a gun! $:o)"
May 30th, 2022 at 10:49:33 AM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Quote: OnceDear
Did you deliberately misunderstand for comedic value?

But of course!
May 30th, 2022 at 12:01:33 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: Gandler
No, its not even close. Cars kill about 35k people a year. Guns kill about 45k people a year. (In America).

Cars used to be more dangerous, but they got progressively safer over the years as licensing requirements increased.

However, 2021 was kind of strange (for cars and guns). Both rates increased, despite the fact that experts predicted both would dramatically decrease this year (most recent full year that we have) since most people spent the vast majority of the year sitting at home (no commuting to work, no need to travel, no nightclubs, etc.... the kind of scenarios that lead to car deaths and gun deaths).

And, 2020 was actually an increase over 2019 (and even more dramatic increase). And, this was also surprising, because the rates should have gone down.

So the people saying upthread that gun deaths have gone down over the last two years are simply incorrect. (Same for car deaths). They have been decreasing overall since the 1960s, but the last two years have been massive spikes.

(This is specifically for intentional violence, does not factor in suicide deaths or accidental discharges).

(In 2020 and 2021 gun sales hit record highs, so take that correlation how you will).

The stat I quoted was decreasing mass shootings not total gun deaths. But it is always the mass shooting that they want to turn into political fuel for gun controls. No talk of disarming marginalized gang bangers in the big cities because it is not their fault.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
May 30th, 2022 at 12:06:40 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: Gandler

"May 16, 2022 — Compared to the 50-300 people who die in mass shootings, around 20,000 people were shot and killed in all homicides in 2020 "
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
May 30th, 2022 at 7:17:37 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 31st, 2022 at 8:37:20 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 31st, 2022 at 4:08:49 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: kenarman
"May 16, 2022 — Compared to the 50-300 people who die in mass shootings, around 20,000 people were shot and killed in all homicides in 2020 "

I agree mass shootings are a very tiny portion of gun crime. They tend to get the most media because there is a lot of emotion surround them (and in many cases shooters arrange it in such a way to maximize publicity).

The much larger issues is the routine gang-banger murders and domestic violence. And, the even larger issue -than all combined-(not homicide) is suicide by gun.

This is why I have an issue with "assault weapons bans", if people cared about gun crime they would be talking about handguns (and that is before getting into the endless non-death crimes handguns are routinely used for, robberies, muggings, etc...)

Its very American to get hyper-focused on a specific issue that is not a huge deal (in relation to the total issue), and think that say banning AR-15s would solve gun crime when in reality, there would be no noticeable difference. Probably banning handguns, and forcing all gun-carriers to carry rifles or shotguns on slings would be more effective. There is no comparison.