Gun Control

May 27th, 2022 at 5:20:41 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I really don’t care what gun owners want to do with their guns. They can go out in the woods set up simulated human targets that gush blood when hit and pretend they’re the worst serial killers in all of history. To me, they’ve got two responsibilities, not commit crimes themselves, and keep their guns under their control from getting to bad people. Is that too much to ask? Oh yeah, secure the sale of guns without f**** ing complaining, when it keeps being a problem. So, I guess that’s three things.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 27th, 2022 at 5:33:16 PM permalink
rxwine
It would probably help if gun sellers used a little gut instinct and just decide not to sell their gun when something about that person seems off. Yeah, that might help a little. Just wait for another buyer.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 27th, 2022 at 5:53:44 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: rxwine
It would probably help if gun sellers used a little gut instinct and just decide not to sell their gun when something about that person seems off. Yeah, that might help a little. Just wait for another buyer.

They can, gun sellers can refuse a gun sale for any reason even if the background checks clear and paperwork and ID is in order, but they just feel something is off.

Gun stores have a lot of leeway (even more than most businesses) to refuse a sale for virtually any reason or even feeling.
May 27th, 2022 at 6:01:20 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: Gandler
They can, gun sellers can refuse a gun sale for any reason even if the background checks clear and paperwork and ID is in order, but they just feel something is off.

Gun stores have a lot of leeway (even more than most businesses) to refuse a sale for virtually any reason or even feeling.

I'm sure some do.
May 27th, 2022 at 7:29:47 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Sorry to change the topic a bit, but I'm planning to buy an AR-15. Any advice on a particular model? I don't want a lot of bells and whistles, just the basic model. I think the one I shot the other day was a 223, or something like that. Are prices fairly consistent from store to store? I am open and thankful for all good advice.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
May 27th, 2022 at 7:30:24 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
""Police said a woman who was lawfully carrying a pistol shot and killed a man who began shooting at a crowd of people Wednesday night in Charleston,"

This was on May 25. Apparently she ran towards the man who had an assault rifle and killed him as he was actively shooting.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
May 27th, 2022 at 8:26:27 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: Wizard
Sorry to change the topic a bit, but I'm planning to buy an AR-15. Any advice on a particular model? I don't want a lot of bells and whistles, just the basic model. I think the one I shot the other day was a 223, or something like that. Are prices fairly consistent from store to store? I am open and thankful for all good advice.

If you want to carry it in public (I don't advise, but I don't know your intentions, some people buy them just to carry and make a statement) get a shortened barrel (carbine) so that it is classified as a pistol (check state laws, some states it can be easier to actually carry a rifle, so this can be two-sided). These are also more practical for a host of reasons.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/ar-15/ar15-guns/pistols.html

And, don't attach optics, only use the iron sights (some don't have great/any iron sights they are designed for optics and similar foolishness).
(Also make sure there is hooks for a carry sling, these may seem like common sense, but you would be surprised with how many models do not have either).

Though go to a gun store and get a feel for your comfort zone (you should not order online unless you know a specific model that you want)....

But, don't be hyper focused on AR-15s a lot of Americans see them in the media, and think that they are the ultimate rifle. Its basically the same system since the 1950s.... There are newer rifles. AR-15s are a bit overrated (and can be polarizing, for example if you tell some people you have an AR-15 they will look at you crazy, if you tell people you have a I don't know MCX, they will probably just think its some video game thing or a car, AR-15s get a lot of bad connotations and everyone knows what it is, ARs, and AKs, everyone knows exactly what it is if they overhear you mention it).

I don't know your location, but a lot of ranges will have all kinds of rifles that you can try or rent and get of sense of how they feel, and how to zero, etc...

But, it ultimately matters the planned use: carry for show, hunt, resell (hold as an investment), home defense, or sport shoot? Though my general thoughts would be the same for any use (except maybe resell as that gets more into the collectable/investment side and most of the practical stuff is irrelevant).
May 28th, 2022 at 1:22:31 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
If you want to carry it in public...

Thank you for the advice. I don't plan to carry in public. Sport shooting is my main motive. I don't have a lot to compare it to, but I like the AR15. My accuracy is quite good with it and I like how simple the design is. I agree on the optics. Keep it simple. The sling hooks I wouldn't have thought to ask about, thanks.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
May 28th, 2022 at 2:55:19 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
I really don’t care what gun owners want to do with their guns. They can go out in the woods set up simulated human targets that gush blood when hit and pretend they’re the worst serial killers in all of history. To me, they’ve got two responsibilities, not commit crimes themselves, and keep their guns under their control from getting to bad people. Is that too much to ask? Oh yeah, secure the sale of guns without f**** ing complaining, when it keeps being a problem. So, I guess that’s three things.

If the gun is in your own home it is secure.

That works until some gay black guy gets denied a sale.
The President is a fink.
May 28th, 2022 at 3:07:08 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
It varies by State, but over 20% in some states....

Now its about 10% of all Americans (total population). (Again vast disparity by States, high population urban states tend to skew up that statistic as opposed to many rural states with small populations but a higher percentage of no high school)
https://www.russellsage.org/sites/all/files/chartbook/Educational%20Attainment%20and%20Achievement.pdf
(This is a graph by year. To show that older parents or guardians are far more likely to not have HS, basically every 10 years of age the chance that somebody is a HS graduate significantly decreases....). Going back to the 1930s where very few people graduated high school (an 8th grade level education was considered high).....

(And, before you say its unlikely for 80-90 year old to be parents, true, but they can be guardians, especially of grandchildren in marginalized communities.....)

You are talking very old people who are not going to be homeschooling. People who homeschool are going to have the education to do it.

Quote:
Who performs the grading of papers and exams is a big difference (perhaps the most important depending on who you ask).

If you grade your kids papers, they are getting straight As regardless of quality (or if they even do them)......
Very few states have strict audits of homeschooling. And even those that do, its laughably enforced... (Again, States with the least educated parents tend to have the least regulation and audits).

Except, no. People who homeschool do it because they are serious about it. They do not let the kids watch TV all day and give them As. Honestly they are not even going to be doing and grading individual papers like you do in a regular school. The proof of the success of homeschooling is see how they do in college and how they do in life.

I do not get what some people hate so much about homeschooling. Maybe they are upset a segment of engaged parents is looking at what government schools are doing and saying, "not with my kid you don't." Upset that people are not feeding the kids to the system like they were fed. The same kind of persons who whine to the HOA about any little thing.
The President is a fink.